S&W 19-3 Combat Magnum

PDA

Deaf Smith
October 1, 2012, 08:24 PM
4 inch, excellent condition, with box, cleaning equipment, papers...

Yes pinned in barrel, recessed chambers, target trigger and hammer, S&W 'magna' stocks.

$600.

So what does one do? Is it to much?

Deaf

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 19-3 Combat Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Knight
October 1, 2012, 08:43 PM
It may be a little high but if I had the funds I'd buy it. They don't make K frame magnums anymore. The 19 is very sought after.

bikemutt
October 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
A fair deal IMO.

I stole my last 19-4 but bent over quite far on the one before that, so on average, I'm where you landed. Congrats.

jad0110
October 1, 2012, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a very nice gun, with box and accessories. Though for a 4" example, I'd say it is a bit high. I'd try to negotiate a price no higher than $550 plus tax, perhaps offering $500 cash plus tax and go from there. But I wouldn't let the gun go over $50.

oldbear
October 1, 2012, 09:08 PM
With the box, and all the extras $600.00 is on the high end of a fair price, but not a deal breaker, to me.

Look at it this way you can over pay (?) by a SMALL amount now, or kick yourself for not buying it at the asking price in 12 -18 months.

F-111 John
October 1, 2012, 09:26 PM
Make the counter offer of $550, but don't let it get away.

Flint Ridge
October 1, 2012, 09:39 PM
Tad high but there are several I've regretted not snagging and later spent more for less.

bikemutt
October 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
Tad high but there are several I've regretted not snagging and later spent more for less.
^^^
This.

rcmodel
October 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
I walked by a mint 2 1/2" Model 19 at a gun show 6 years ago for $350.
Came back 3 minutes later to buy it and somebody else was filling out the paperwork.

Still kicking myself on that one!!

They ain't ever gonna get any cheaper if you find a nice one you want.

rc

Deaf Smith
October 1, 2012, 11:26 PM
And sadly gents the same gun store manager also offered me a pre-64 Winchester 30/30 for $400 today. Decent condition one to.

Both these guns are on consignment so they want cash.

Ops.. I forgot to get a lottery ticket today. Bummer.

Anyway it's not that I need any of these guns (I feel one can do fine in life with a 30/30, .357 mag revolver, and a 12 gauge pump) but yes, they don't make them anymore!

Deaf

Fishslayer
October 1, 2012, 11:48 PM
That would be good to go in my area. A wad of cash in hand is usually a good negotiating tool. ;)

Shorter the barrel, generally bigger the bucks.

gamestalker
October 2, 2012, 01:44 AM
Not a total deal breaker, but I did get my 66-5 (stainless version) for $400 in excellent, almost new condition. But then the deal I got was one of those can't pass it up for the price deals too.

I also bought a 66-2 back in 1980-ish for $175, but that was a realistic price for a 66-2 in the early 1980's.
I'm no help at all!
GS

Doc3402
October 2, 2012, 06:18 AM
If it has the target trigger and hammer it is worth $600 around here. Maybe a little more. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

bigtubby
October 2, 2012, 10:18 AM
With the extra's that is what it would be priced at around here and if paying cash they would probably give it to me at that price OTD or maybe $575.00 but I wouldn't let it get away.

Thaddeus Jones
October 2, 2012, 11:50 AM
What does one do? One BUYS IT!! :)

Just take a look at the asking prices on the current production junk. I'll pay $600 for a good conditon example of the finest revolver they ever made all day long.

Let us know how it shoots! ;)

paravil
October 2, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'll join in on the chorus. I think the key term here is "excellent" condition. I see K frames in "good" condition going for between five and six hundred on a pretty regular basis. For an "excellent" 19 with box and papers, if I had the cash I'd throw it down and run straight to the range.

Hapworth
October 2, 2012, 12:12 PM
Looks like I'll be taking the minority opinion here, but...that is an excellent price for what you describe.

You're talking a collector piece in this kind of set-up: a 19-3, true NRA Condition Standards "excellent", with original box, paperwork and tools. The only caveat is the magna stocks, which 19s generally did not leave the factory with, though they could be a special order for that particular gun; suggest you remove them and see if they're numbered to the gun (S&W was still numbering stocks in the 19-3 era). If they match, great; if not, it knocks only a very little off the value, given the other accoutrement (the box should be determined to match the gun, too).

Take a look at the broker sites and see what closed auctions on identical or similar items sold at -- $600 will look like a very good deal.

19-3Ben
October 2, 2012, 12:59 PM
When I bought my mid-90s% 19-3 in 2005 for $295, I overpaid by about $40-$50.
These days the gun would fetch mid $400 range easily. I'd never ever sell it though.

Seriously, even if it's not a GREAT deal, it's a good deal and will only get better as the years go on. As has been said numerous times, you're not overpaying. You're just buying it early.

JohnM
October 2, 2012, 01:19 PM
I bought an unfired 19-3, the cased Texas Ranger Sesquicentennial, for 550.
I thought it was a decent price for what it is.
But, I can't bring myself to be the one to put the first round through it, so I think I'll trade it off for something I'll use. :)

Doc3402
October 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
I bought an unfired 19-3, the cased Texas Ranger Sesquicentennial, for 550.
I thought it was a decent price for what it is.
But, I can't bring myself to be the one to put the first round through it, so I think I'll trade it off for something I'll use. :)
Would you settle for first born child? She's kinda cute, but she can burn a grilled cheese sandwich in the blink of an eye.<grin>

Seriously, I would keep it and haunt the guns shops for another 19 if that's what you want

788Ham
October 2, 2012, 01:27 PM
Well, how do you like it by now? I sure wouldn't let it walk, I know $50 is $50, but how much is your satisfaction worth? Shoot good? Let us know.

JohnM
October 2, 2012, 01:48 PM
Would you settle for first born child? She's kinda cute, but she can burn a grilled cheese sandwich in the blink of an eye.<grin>

:) I like the 19-3s. I got this one to semi retire one I have made in 1956.
Think I'll use it for trading stock though.
There's lots of handguns out there I like, so I just need to keep my eye out.

Doc3402
October 2, 2012, 02:09 PM
Do you know how much this is killing me to know there is an unfired 19-3 in Wyoming and I'm sitting here in Florida?

I have a 19-3, too, but it's nowhere near unfired. That thing makes very regular trips to the range. I also have a 66-2 that is my so called winter carry... all two weeks of it. I just gave my daughter my 19-7 round butt. It's a good gun, but we just never got along that well. She loves it.

Right now I'm getting an IWB holster made for my 66 so I can go year round with it. Five more pounds to go and I won't have to buy new jeans.

Guillermo
October 2, 2012, 02:17 PM
a little high or fair?

who cares

BUY IT!!!

JohnM
October 2, 2012, 02:21 PM
Do you know how much this is killing me to know there is an unfired 19-3 in Wyoming and I'm sitting here in Florida?

Being what it is, this thing should be in Texas.

19-3Ben
October 2, 2012, 05:25 PM
Deaf Smith, c'mon. You're killing us here. You bought it already, right? Or at least put it on layaway?

Captcurt
October 2, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sold one in the box for $600. This one might be a little high, but if it is really nice it would be tempting.

Old Dog
October 2, 2012, 06:38 PM
600 bucks, I've seen that price on 19s up here ... I guess I'm to the point where I'll pretty much buy any ol' S&Ws without worrying about the price (having passed up too many -- including an awesome 29-2 nickeled 6.5-incher with a tag of $525 -- that had great prices, so now I, like most of us, am stuck paying the premiums).

I picked this one (19-3) up not long ago for just under $400 -- and I almost choked when I saw the price attached to it after I had the guy take it out from the counter -- the first words out of my mouth, before I even inspected it, were, "I think I'm gonna buy this gun." No box, no papers, stocks not numbered to the revolver, but I feel pretty good about it.
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh577/Beau360/DSCN0157.jpg

Frizzman
October 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
The 4' M-19 is one of the best revolvers ever made. It's a true classic and not made anymore. It's not a plastic pistol and there aren't new ones laying around on shelves at bargain prices. Do you want it? Can you spend the money without causing financial distress? The price isn't cheap but classic S&W's in nice condition are drying up and prices are not going down. I have one in similar condition and you wouldn't get mine for $600!

Deaf Smith
October 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
Old dog,

The one for sale looks lust like that one. Same stocks and no red insert front sight.

And no, I haven't bought it yet. It's consignment so they want bucks and no lay-away.

Deaf

lowercase
October 2, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'd offer $550 on it no problem, but wouldn't let the extra 50 bucks stop me from buying it.

I just paid $350 for this old P.D. marked 19-3 and it's certainly not gonna win any beauty contests.

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/3625/1931e.jpg

Captcurt
October 2, 2012, 09:03 PM
600 bucks, I've seen that price on 19s up here ... I guess I'm to the point where I'll pretty much buy any ol' S&Ws without worrying about the price (having passed up too many -- including an awesome 29-2 nickeled 6.5-incher with a tag of $525 -- that had great prices, so now I, like most of us, am stuck paying the premiums).

I picked this one (19-3) up not long ago for just under $400 -- and I almost choked when I saw the price attached to it after I had the guy take it out from the counter -- the first words out of my mouth, before I even inspected it, were, "I think I'm gonna buy this gun." No box, no papers, stocks not numbered to the revolver, but I feel pretty good about it.
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh577/Beau360/DSCN0157.jpg
Dog,

I could get $500 for this one tomarrow. Nice buy!

skidder
October 2, 2012, 10:14 PM
You need that gun and you know it. Even if you have to dig up your coffee can in the backyard. Besides, we know you'll give it a good home.

It pains me to think what might happen if Bubba Gump gets his hands on that work of art. :(

788Ham
October 2, 2012, 10:44 PM
BUY IT ! Don't let yourself walkout now, for God's sake, get out the foldin' paper and get it done son! What a beauty.

4D5
October 3, 2012, 03:06 AM
In my neighborhood that would be a great price.

I let a like new 25-2 6" I bargained down to $600 slip away at a local pawn shop. Went back a couple days after negotiating the price and was gone :cuss:

Every time I go there I'm reminded of the one that got away :banghead:

Fishslayer
October 3, 2012, 04:22 AM
No box, no papers, stocks not numbered to the revolver, but I feel pretty good about it.

That's a real beauty right there. S&W didn't generally number the target stocks so no biggie there. And ya don't need papers & a box to shoot it.:D

That gun would fetch a lot more than $400 in my area.

Hapworth
October 3, 2012, 10:36 AM
The 4' M-19 is one of the best revolvers ever made.Must be difficult to carry. ;)

Doc3402
October 3, 2012, 12:01 PM
Must be difficult to carry. ;)
No more than many other guns you see people carry. They're lighter than many 1911's but not as thin. A good holster/belt combo and a baggy shirt makes it a breeze, but like many 4" barrel handguns sitting down can be a problem.

Old Dog
October 3, 2012, 12:38 PM
Um, believe he was referring to that amazing 4-foot barreled Model 19 ... Sometimes, you just gotta read a post carefully ...

Doc3402
October 3, 2012, 02:15 PM
Ooops. Yeah, that would be difficult to carry, but my point about sitting would be even more true.

JohnM
October 3, 2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but think about that sight radius! :D

NoirFan
October 3, 2012, 10:34 PM
Too high! I got one in the exact same condition 4 years ago for $425, so in this case I'd go no higher than $500.

Old Dog
October 3, 2012, 10:59 PM
Well, it would seem there's considerable variance in prices for nice old Smiths from one region to the next ... I typically see the clean, tight Model 19s (with box/papers/original stocks) going for at least 525-550 in my area, so what's too high to you might be average or a good price for the guy from two or three states over ...

Doc3402
October 4, 2012, 05:55 AM
I think part of the disparity is the target trigger and hammer. This one has them, cheaper ones may not, and they are darn near impossible to find these days. I would gladly pay the $600 for a 19 with a poor finish just to get the trigger and hammer. I would swap them out into a better 19 and make the beater a truck gun.

Rob0321
October 4, 2012, 07:00 AM
I'd buy it, you can never have enough blued revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 19-3 Combat Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!