Texas bounty on hogs

PDA

jmorris
October 2, 2012, 02:17 PM
Your not going to get rich but...

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/the-hunt-is-on-for-feral-hogs

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas bounty on hogs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
October 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
Interesting. Yeah, two bucks per tail means a fella's gotta get a lot of tail to come out ahead, but it pays for ammo. :)

I-10 crosses Plum Creek just west of Luling. Not far from Austin or Santone.

MCgunner
October 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
Two bucks? They're joking, right? :rolleyes: I can trap live hogs and get 20 to 50 cents a pound at a buyer and I'm supposed to just let 'em lay for 2 bucks? Idiots.

I've been researching. There is a burgeoning wild hog market world wide and the buyers are out there. There's supposed to be a world wide port shortage next year due to the price of corn and European farmers selling off stock they can't afford to feed. I figure the price of feral hogs will go up. :D I've got to buy some equipment, but I can make that back post haste. :D I ain't gonna get rich, but I'll make a little spending money I'm thinkin' and it'll be fun.

Spending government dollars ain't the way to control hogs. Creating a market to exploit them, IOW CAPITALISM, is the way. :D

I mean, if there IS a way. I'm not sure there is a way, tell ya the truth. I think they're just going to take over, if they haven't in your area already. But, if they're there, why not make money on 'em. Come on, 2 bucks don't pay for ammo for SOME folks. :D

snakeman
October 2, 2012, 10:11 PM
wild hog market is something you have to be careful about. There's been no federal health inspections done on the hogs your selling. You could potentially cause many people to get very sick very quick. Also, a wild hog market will do nothing but hurt the domestic hog market considerably. Let's be smart about this people! small scale feral hog sale aka 2 or 3 hogs a year is ok but when that one sick one gets by and hurts someone we've made a serious mistake

T Bran
October 2, 2012, 10:18 PM
Looks like trappers will be making an extra two bucks per hog if they just cut the tails off of the live ones lol.
Although they may need a convincing cover story to explain the missing tails to the buyers.
Down here folks used to cut the tails off of boar hogs that had been cut elsewhere and released back to the wild for future harvest.
Forget the ammo two bucks wont even cover the fuel to get the ammo to the critters anymore.
Good hunting.

MCgunner
October 2, 2012, 10:30 PM
wild hog market is something you have to be careful about. There's been no federal health inspections done on the hogs your selling. You could potentially cause many people to get very sick very quick. Also, a wild hog market will do nothing but hurt the domestic hog market considerably. Let's be smart about this people! small scale feral hog sale aka 2 or 3 hogs a year is ok but when that one sick one gets by and hurts someone we've made a serious mistake

The market for feral pigs is developed and the buyers are all over the state. There's 4 legal, inspected centers to which all the hogs are shipped. All the buyers around the state are certified by the TAHC (the animal health folks) as well as the 4 holding facilities they work for. The pigs must go through quarantine and testing, from what I read, before these companies can ship or slaughter for sale.

Here's some reading if you're interested. It's all legit, approved, etc. As for pig farmers and competition for market, let the free market even that out, but I doubt there will be much competition with domestic pig farmers, frankly. I think much of this meat is a niche market, wild game meats and also the granola crunchers in the cities that want "organic" and don't wanna kill and clean their own. :D I have gleaned this from reading a facebook page for Sothern Wild Game, one of the four facilities approved by the state which is located in Divine, south of San Antonio. But, frankly, I'm still learning.

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_health/feral_swine.html

MCgunner
October 2, 2012, 10:40 PM
Looks like trappers will be making an extra two bucks per hog if they just cut the tails off of the live ones lol.

I ain't real sure I wanna put my hands in a trap with feral hogs. They might take one of MY body parts first.:what:

snakeman
October 2, 2012, 10:51 PM
don't get me wrong I'll be shooting any hogs i see on our ranch. I've just had too many meats classes in college!

MCgunner
October 2, 2012, 10:56 PM
Well, I took an animal science class as an elective, but my degree is "Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences". So, I base my opinions on the effectiveness of ANY wild pig control on SOME knowledge, though I was an "aquatic type". :D

tarosean
October 3, 2012, 12:14 AM
2 bucks a tail isn't worth the fuel.. I'll still slaughter every one I lay eyes on thou

TexasPatriot.308
October 3, 2012, 08:28 AM
I got 3 pastures I hunt in this area. I kill hogs every day, at $2 a tail, still aint worth my time. I just shoot them and either drag em off or make buzzards and coyotes happy.

Art Eatman
October 3, 2012, 10:52 AM
So save the tails if you're killing hogs on a regular basis. Make one trip with a couple of dozen; that'll buy supper, anyhow.

TexasPatriot.308
October 3, 2012, 10:53 PM
I aint that hungry and aint got the time. this is a joke, get serious and i will take the time for now, shoot, let em lay, check my cows, ddrink my beer and go home.

W.E.G.
October 3, 2012, 11:08 PM
I got 3 pastures I hunt in this area. I kill hogs every day, at $2 a tail, still aint worth my time. I just shoot them and either drag em off or make buzzards and coyotes happy.

I've heard that feral hogs eat their dead.

Any evidence of that with the ones you "leave lay?"

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas bounty on hogs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!