What do u think about the smith and wesson 22A

PDA

glockky
October 2, 2012, 08:42 PM
Was thinking of getting a smith 22A and was wanting to hear your experiences with them. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "What do u think about the smith and wesson 22A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
intercooler
October 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
Accurate. They are good shooters but have had some frame issues.

I get mine back from S&W this week. It is a limited edition 5.5" fluted bull barrel with 3 magazines. I will make you a deal on it. Will be like brand new!

glockky
October 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
can u send me pics

dmurdach
October 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have had mine for quite a while and have put a lot of rounds through it. just a standard 22A and have had no issues with it. Have had several different red dots on it ,sometimes I just have to tinker, and now it wears a Burris Fastfire III. My Dad has a Buckmark and the Smith is just as accurate. Fun gun to shoot!

glockky
October 2, 2012, 09:12 PM
price? what kind of frame issues have u had?

intercooler
October 2, 2012, 09:14 PM
This is it. They replaced the frame with a new and I don't plan on firing it when I pick it up. I'm going to list it here soon after:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/426724_261903510556578_954739089_n.jpg

intercooler
October 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
I bought a good amount of wear parts that will come with it as well like buffs, spring, etc...

The frame broke towards the back.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/432080_353559658057629_1563682650_n.jpg

glockky
October 2, 2012, 09:17 PM
what kind of price u gonna have on it? i have found one with the pretty wood grips i really like. Did the frame just crack?

intercooler
October 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'm probably going to list it at $275 firm. You can't get this one anymore and it was standard with 3 mags and case.

intercooler
October 2, 2012, 09:19 PM
Out of the blue just busted. Read up on the wood grips. I never swapped to them because of horror storys of hitting the relase button.

glockky
October 2, 2012, 10:15 PM
anyone else like them ? hate them?

m3mh0g
October 2, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have had one for 4 or 5 years. Got it at Cabelas for $199 on Black Friday. I put a $30 barska reddot on it. I love it terribly accurate. I can put 30 rounds in inside of 2" at 15 yards. I have talked 3 other friends into getting the same setup and no complaints from anyone.

wally
October 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
Accurate. They are good shooters but have had some frame issues.

Yup, but S&W takes care of you paying the shipping both ways. Mine was one of batch in late 2005 and had to go back.

Its my favorite .22 pistol and we've got them all Ruger MK II, 22/45, Buckmark, Neos, P22.

I've run ~10,000 rounds a year through it for the six years I've had it and S&W sent me free parts to fix it (firing pin broke) and paid both ways again to fix it when the aluminum sight rail cracked at about 55,000 rounds.

So despite having had to send it back twice, once pretty much out of the box, and then again 55,000 rounds later I still love it for the way it shoots! And both times it was out of my hands less than 10 days door to door.

Mine is the 7.5" fluted bull barrel model. It has a green fiber optic insert front plain black rear and is one of the few guns I've no need to use an optic on despite the 60+ year old eyeballs.

Its the most reliable of all with cheap bulk pack ammo and it is so "open" I very rarely take it apart for cleaning -- just clean the slide and barrel faces with a Q-tip and Hoppes, some Hoppes down the bore and a bore snake, and a few drops of oil in the slide frame contact points and I'm good to go again.

Fishbed77
October 3, 2012, 12:12 AM
anyone else like them ? hate them?

I've never been particularly impressed with them. I think a Ruger Mark III or Browning Buck Mark is a much better choice. They are more durable, the Buck Mark has a better trigger, and the Ruger opens up a whole world of customization options.

mrhill
October 3, 2012, 03:33 AM
Love mine. Have shot about 8000 rounds with out any problems. A friend's frame broke on his about 12000 rounds. But S&W took care of him. They are extremely accurate.

skt239
October 3, 2012, 07:40 AM
My wife's grandma's friend has one that he brings over to shoot on occasion. It's accurate and fun to shoot but can be picky about ammo. No surprising for a .22 so not really a big deal.

Ala Tom
October 3, 2012, 08:05 AM
I had a S&W 22A for a year or so. I didn't like the way it spit shell's out both sides. I got it for cheap practice with my M&P 40. It handled in a similar way except for recoil. I liked the trigger and found it similar to an M&P trigger. I had two problems: a few ftf's with cheap ammo (not with Minimags) and frequently when pulling back the slide on an empty gun it would stick. Tried different lubes. Finally just traded it in on a different gun. I am considering buying a Ruger 22/45 if I get another .22 but have not tried one. Not much use for a .22. IMOP any useful gun has more power and recoil. It's best to practice with your main gun.

Pilot
October 3, 2012, 08:07 AM
A friend has one, and IMHO they are inferior to the Ruger MK II/III, and Browning Buckmark. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for, and if it is something you want to keep long term, I'd get the Ruger or Browning. I have four MK II's, which a few I've been shooting for 20 years, with no issues. Very accurate and tuneable too.

jmr40
October 3, 2012, 08:49 AM
I have looked at them. After talking to the dealer at a local gun store I cannot think of any good reason to choose one over a Ruger or Browning. He no longer carries them. Too many complaints. Either the Ruger or Browning have solid reputations.

Fishbed77
October 3, 2012, 03:31 PM
IMHO they are inferior to the Ruger MK II/III, and Browning Buckmark. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for, and if it is something you want to keep long term, I'd get the Ruger or Browning

My thoughts exactly.

Now the S&W Model 41 - that's a whole 'nother story.

I wish S&W would bring to market a nice, well-built rimfire target pistol design that splits the difference between the expensive Model 41 and the 22A (the potmetal Umarex-manufactured M&P-22 doesn't count). They had the 422 at one time, but it has been discontinued and had some problems of it's own.

silicosys4
October 3, 2012, 03:34 PM
I had one and HATED it. H.A.T.E.D.
I would be more proud to own a hipoint. The geniuses at s&w took a great old design and turned it into garbage.
1. Crappy grips. Extremely crappy with NO aftermarket options save for a few equally crappy ones.
2. Felt junky. The slide wiggled around at every point in its travel, had gaps between metal parts.
3. Unreliable. So unreliable i had a nickname for the callous that built up on my thumb from racking the slide to clear jams... No amount of cleaning or different ammo's would solve this.
4. NOT a serious tool or weapon. It has a plastic "buffer" inside the slide that wears out every 1k rounds and MUST be replaced, or the slide and frame break within a few hundred rounds.

The only positive point about this gun was that I sold it for $25 more than a paid for it because it looks big and accurate, and I did like the magazine release on that particular pistol...but wouldn't want it on a serious fighting handgun.

If you like the design, get a buckmark or high standard

308win
October 3, 2012, 03:36 PM
I like mine. Accurate, no issues. People like to justify what they buy. The 22A needs no justification - good plinker at good price point.

Fishbed77
October 3, 2012, 06:18 PM
The 22A needs no justification - good plinker at good price point.

And I think that is the source of the problem for me. It is a pistol designed to meet a "price point".

glockky
October 3, 2012, 06:31 PM
Well i bought one today with the nice wood grips and fluted barrel. Only shot about 50rds through it and it shot aewsome. After sighting in i was hitting 1 1/2 spinner at 15 yards almost every shot.

tryshoot
October 3, 2012, 07:53 PM
I love my 22a. Very accurite. Never jams unless its ammo fault. Good ammo goes bang every time.

intercooler
October 3, 2012, 08:55 PM
How much?

glockky
October 4, 2012, 04:13 PM
how much what?

intercooler
October 4, 2012, 08:59 PM
How much did it cost? I went today to get my 22-A but I had a stay. It looks like they replaced everything. The store owners ever said it looked super sweet. Should sell easily being a limited edition.

glockky
October 4, 2012, 09:04 PM
I gave $350 out the door for mine.

308win
October 5, 2012, 09:33 AM
Around here they go for $219+tax on up depending on the model.

mje
January 23, 2013, 08:43 PM
I think if you feed them a diet of match or standard velocity ammunition they're pretty trouble free. But a lot of guys insist on putting high-velocity and hypervelocity ammunition in target guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do u think about the smith and wesson 22A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!