Remington 700 damaging brass

PDA

b money
October 2, 2012, 10:20 PM
I just took my 308win Remington 700PSS out to the range for the first time in awhile and after I got home I noticed it was leaving very noticeable lines in the middle of the cases, which look like weak spots in the brass now. All of these cases were my personal reloads, staring loads to so I highly doubt they did this from over pressure, the primers look fine. I just so happened to remember last year a few cases split at the exact same spot but at the time I just figured it was due to the brass being old. But now I started wondering if it did this to all my brass so I pulled out some factory ammo I had shot through it and the brass had the same markings although not near as noticeable they were there. What could be causing this? I'm hoping its not the chamber!I have attached a picture so you can better understand what I'm talking about.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/bmoney70/093.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 damaging brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
back40
October 2, 2012, 10:25 PM
how old is the gun? is that case bulged near the head or is that the camera's handywork?

HOWARD J
October 2, 2012, 10:41 PM
If you hit those marks with steel wool do they go away & no damage to the case ??

b money
October 2, 2012, 10:57 PM
the rifle is from 1993, no that bulge is all the camera's doing(didnt notice it till you pointed it out. as far as the steel wool goes, the top mark is still there, and the bottom one is very very faint but still there

HOWARD J
October 2, 2012, 11:05 PM
Clean your rifle chamber with a brass brush -- then polish it with a product like Flitz metal polish---see if that helps

tactikel
October 2, 2012, 11:12 PM
You may have headspace problems, which could lead to case head separation, this is a very dangerous situation. IMHO take the rifle, cases ( both factory and handloads) and see a gunsmith. Best case you have toolmarks in the chamber, worst case bad headspace. Did you buy the gun new? Years ago I noticed rings on .30-06 brass I had reloaded many times, I used a hacksaw to cut a case lengthwise in half, a weak, thin spot could be clearly be seen. New brass and milder loads cured the problem. Good luck!

murf
October 2, 2012, 11:14 PM
if the lines don't come out with the chamber brush, you may want to check the chamber headspace.

murf

back40
October 2, 2012, 11:16 PM
excessive head space would be my concern, but i would think you'd see issues with the primers as well. i'd have the headspace checked just to be on the safe side, and go from there.

b money
October 2, 2012, 11:18 PM
Ok I'll give the brush a shot, hopefully that works, if not how costly and what all is involved with improving the headspace?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 damaging brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!