Long Barreled Luger With Stock? Help

PDA

grock5k
October 3, 2012, 12:02 AM
Hello everyone. I picked up this non firing long barreled Luger? with stock at a yardsale a little while ago for 45 bucks. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about it he found it in his dad's barn after he passed away. I've been trying to do some research on it but I keep coming up short. The only markings on it are 04-79 with SMG under it on the right side. A faint MGC on the left side and top. Does anybody know anything about these? Is it a real one or just a reproduction any information would be grate. I do have the trigger and a few other pieces to it I would eventualy like to get it shooting again. Thanks

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/xgregsx/LUGER2.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/xgregsx/LUGER.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures I don't have one of those fancy smart phones :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Long Barreled Luger With Stock? Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
October 3, 2012, 10:30 AM
Is the barrel 16" long?

I think it might be a buildup to give a legal "carbine" that was not a C&R.
Done back when Lugers were cheap surplus and not high priced collectors' trade goods.

There were a lot of strange Lugers assembled out of WW I surplus guns and parts during the 1920s but that would not account for the nonstandard markings on yours.

mdauben
October 3, 2012, 12:55 PM
I think Jim may be right. There was an "Artillery" model Luger with a longer barrel and detachable shoulder stock, but it doesn't really look much like yours.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Arty08.jpg

grock5k
October 3, 2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah I looked up the Artillery Luger when I first got the gun but it didnt really look like it. If you compare the stocks mine kinda looks like it was cut off a small 22 maybe. The stock doesnt really fit too well it kinda wiggles around and I havent figured out how to detach it yet. I really don't know how long the barrel is I haven't measured it but 16 inches sounds about right. I'll take it to the gun shop I go to and have the gunsmith look at it. If it's not too expensive to get working again I'd like to I think it would be pretty neet to take to the range. Thanks for your help.

SharpsDressedMan
October 3, 2012, 06:22 PM
An MGC gun was made in Japan, and would fire special blank cartridges, if you could find them and reload them. It is a "replica", not a gun that would ever fire live ammo. Still, if you can restore it, it would be worth maybe $200-$300 to a "non-gun" collector. It is still a hell of a wallhanger for $45!

grock5k
October 3, 2012, 09:11 PM
Awesome thank you for the info.

SharpsDressedMan
October 3, 2012, 10:04 PM
I just looked on gunboker, and there is one just like yours, complete, for $275. Might want to take a look. just punch in mgc and luger on a search there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long Barreled Luger With Stock? Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!