2012 muzzloader deer season

PDA

Corey ACP
October 3, 2012, 01:00 AM
Well, I spent 10 glorious days taking in the outdoors, enjoying freedom that living in the rocky mountains has aplenty. Saw lots of small bucks, but nothing I was willing to make smoke on. All was not lost, as I did see lots of Elk, Moose and other wildlife. I also managed to take a few "trophies" I somehow to remembered to capture these two on camera.
Several friends came to my camp and we hunted together, feasted on natures bounty, talked about the old times, renewed our friendships and rode ATV's on the numerous trails. The weather was somewhat varied with nice days, rain, snow and freezing nights. Oh, one glorious sunset also. Sigh, now I am back at home with only memories. :-)

If you enjoyed reading about "2012 muzzloader deer season" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
T.R.
October 3, 2012, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a good time in the mts. What kind of birds are those?

TR

Corey ACP
October 3, 2012, 11:31 AM
It was an Awesome time. The birds are Blue Grouse

topher89
October 3, 2012, 08:46 PM
That is awesome. I am heading up this weekend to do a little elk scouting and grouse hunting.

What loads did you do to use to knock those grouse down?

Corey ACP
October 3, 2012, 11:57 PM
Topher, I used some old paper hull shells that I had laying around. #6 shot Hi Power stuff, not necessary for these Grouse that were basically head shot at 20 yds or so as they walked on some logs. The nick name for forest grouse is "fool hen" as they are not the most wary critters in the woods.

sixgunner455
October 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
We always called those "Pine Hens" when i was a kid.

Sounds like you had a great time.

topher89
October 4, 2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks Corey.

Yea grouse are pretty stupid :) I have hunted them before but was just curious what loads you were using. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. I also prefer #6 for grouse but some people stick to 7 1/2 walmart loads.

Great pics and it sounds like a great hunt

squarepants33889
October 4, 2012, 09:30 PM
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/squarepants33889/MuleDeer469.jpghttp://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/squarepants33889/MuleDeer469.jpg

squarepants33889
October 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hey guys.
I couldn't help but upload a picture of yesterdays good fortune.
On day three of draw mule deer muzzleloader season, I came across this big guy. I had about 10 minutes to rest on sticks and get my rangefinder out. The shot was 180 yards, but I couldn't get any closer due to a diligent sentry doe. I am fairly certain they knew something was amiss, but the very strong wind was causing them some uncertainty. This buck and one other little guy were sitting in some scrub brush and sage. When the doe alerted them they stood up and my Savage ML10-2 barked out a 250 gr Hornady SST ML.
The deer was dead before he fell. Quite a day, boy!!
I am falling in love with walking out in the prairie with a muzzleloader.

shaggy430
October 5, 2012, 11:14 AM
That's a nice mulie!

mdauben
October 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
Several friends came to my camp and we hunted together, feasted on natures bounty, talked about the old times, renewed our friendships and rode ATV's on the numerous trails. The weather was somewhat varied with nice days, rain, snow and freezing nights. Oh, one glorious sunset also. Sigh, now I am back at home with only memories. :-)
Sounds like 10 days well spent! Thanks for sharing your trip and pics.

topher89
October 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
Corey, I forgot to ask, what muzzleloader do you have in that picture? What load are you using behind it?

Thanks!

Corey ACP
October 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Topher, My rifle is a T/C Thunderhawk Shadow. 50 cal. It is probably the most basic no frills rifle out there. Doesn't matter how fancy your rig is it is and will always be the man that holds the gun that gets the job done. It has served me well over the years. My deer load is two 50/50 pyrodex pellets underneath a Hornady .44 240 gr. XTP bullet using a Hornady sabot. This combination is very accurate out of my muzzle loader.

topher89
October 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks, I have been having an itch to try out muzzleloading and yours looks like a simple, no frills effective rifle that would be perfect for me to start with

If you enjoyed reading about "2012 muzzloader deer season" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!