BarSto Browing Hi Power Barrel

PDA

Got_Lead?
October 3, 2012, 01:04 AM
Hello:

Maybe I could get your opinion about which BarSto barrel to purchase for my Hi Power. Bar-Sto offers two flavors for the BHP barrel, the semi-drop in, and the match target, which requires more extensive hand fitting.

I have fitted a 1911 barrel, but am unsure what would be involved with the BHP. I don't have access to a milling machine or lathe presently, and wonder how much additional accuracy would be gotten for how much extra work.

Should a fellow get the semi-drop in, or the match?

Thanks

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "BarSto Browing Hi Power Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
velocette
October 3, 2012, 08:32 AM
I have two BHPs with Bar-Sto barrels. (and 3 1911s too) one in 9mm and one .40 S&W. Both were the drop in barrels. They both needed some fitting which was accomplished with a file or stones. The gunsmith fitted barrels will need more of the fitting with files or stones. You should not need the services of a mill, but you will need to take down the locking lug area and possibly the barrel hood area. I do not know about the barrel diameter near the muzzle on the match target barrel fitting the slide. My drop ins did fit nice and snugly though.
Both of my Bar-Sto barrelled BHPs are very accurate but not as reliable as the stock barrels. You will note that the Bar_Sto barrels have very tight chambers they are intolerant of sloppy, oversized reloads and poor factory ammo.

Roger

If you enjoyed reading about "BarSto Browing Hi Power Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!