How much does it cost?

PDA

TAKtical
October 3, 2012, 04:59 AM
If you have all the equipment and the brass, how much will it cost to reload 1000 rounds of 9mm? 45acp? Powder, primers, bullets, what will it realistically cost? I dont need an exact price, just an estimate.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much does it cost?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
October 3, 2012, 05:14 AM
With current component prices I can load 1,000:
125gr lead 9mm for $106.29
124gr FMJ 9mm for $142.29

230gr LRN 45 Auto for $131.64
230gr FMJ 45 Auto for $172.64

GLOOB
October 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
1000 rds of 9mm =
approx 5 gr powder = 5000 grains = 0.714 lbs of powder, round up to 1lb = $17.00
1k primers = $25.00
1000 bullets = $120.00
+ shipping and hazmat fee = 35.00

Total = 197.00?

Course, I never buy just 1k primers and 1 lb of powder at a time. You'd be better off going to your LGS.

FROGO207
October 3, 2012, 07:50 AM
Good Ideas of what it costs above. If you buy components in serious bulk the price will drop more. If a bunch of you get together and do a group buy then you generally save even more. If you scrounge lead and cast your bullets then even more savings. So there are many variables. I can reload 38 SPL, 357, and 9MM for $.07 each using home cast bullets. Others do it for other calibers with similar savings but there is an initial investment in equipment and time to get where I am presently. YMMV

TAKtical
October 3, 2012, 09:45 AM
Seems like its not really worth it to reload 9mm. I get 1000 rounds of pmc for $189 locally. Reloading 45acp would definitely be worth it though.

JLDickmon
October 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
I don't reload 9mm either.
I could probably squeak out a small savings, but when you factor in my time, no.

I got better things to do this time of year, anyway.

Not that I step totally away from the loading bench, mind you; I ran some 32-20's couple nights ago, and some .45 Auto last night..

dragon813gt
October 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
I only pay for powder and primers since I cast my own bullets with free lead and use range pickup brass. So figure $.03 for a primer and $.02 for powder at today's prices. So I'm at $50 per 1k. It's actually only $45 because the primers are $.025 apiece.

I also have higher up front costs for the casting equipment. But even if I had to pay for lead I'm still way ahead. At current prices it would add $16 for 1k of 115 grain bullets. Adjust the price accordingly for other weights.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Kyle M.
October 3, 2012, 10:41 AM
I can reload 9mm with 124gr. lead bullets for $107/1,000

.45acp with 230gr. lead $135/1,000

jcwit
October 3, 2012, 11:23 AM
Using Powder Valley current pricing I would be able to reload 9mm for less than 6 cents each. I did not enclude hazmet charges as normally purchase in high enough quanties it becomes a non issue. I also cast my own bullets from lead acquired when I help clean our indoor range and its free.

So my final answer, "How much does it cost to reload 1,000 rounds of 9 MM?"
Answer--Less than $75.00

I could probably squeak out a small savings, but when you factor in my time, no.

Regarding the above quote. I never factor in my time reloading, it is also as much a part of my shooting hobby as any other aspect of it. Just as I never factor in my time driving to and from the range. Nor do I factor in my time eating, sleeping, or any other part of living that does not actually could be used in the making of dollars.

Dang, retirement is nice!

tightgroup tiger
October 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
I'm at $150.00/k which is $7.50/50. Factory costs me $12.82 a box out the door at my LGS. There is enough savings there to keep me loading them. That's with plated bullets.

It's funny though, 9mms being the most mass produced ammo out there is hard to compete with. Just about any other hand gun load except the .40S&W, the savings is much higher.

45Frank
October 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
But it's fun also and you can make your own loads.
Once ya start you'll have friends popping out of the woodwork also.:eek:

joustin
October 3, 2012, 12:15 PM
For 45acp with 220gr lead it is about $164 if I pay for the brass. 230gr fmj is around $251 if I don't buy bullets in bulk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wardor
October 3, 2012, 12:36 PM
For estimating purposes, I factor powder+primer at $0.05 per round, so then you just take whatever the bullets cost you (example I pay $122/1000 230gr FMJ RN 45 ACP, so $0.122/bullet) + $0.05 x the quantity you want to load. You can move powder/primer up or down $0.01 based on bulk buys and loads, maybe down $0.02 with a light load and cheap primers.

cfullgraf
October 3, 2012, 01:07 PM
If you have all the equipment and the brass, how much will it cost to reload 1000 rounds of 9mm? 45acp? Powder, primers, bullets, what will it realistically cost? I dont need an exact price, just an estimate.

The cost per primers and bullets is easy to calculate. Take the price of the package, divide by the number of units in the package and you have the cost per unit.

Powder is a bit more difficult, but not much. There is 7000 grains in a pound. Take the powder charge and divide it into 7000 and it gives the number of powder charges per pound. Divide that number into the cost of a pound of powder giving you the cost per charge.

Add the unit costs of primers, bullets and powder charges, multiply by 1000 and there is your cost for components assuming the brass has infinite life. Obviously, cases do not last for ever, but 9x19 cases have a very long life so the cost could be considered negligible.

Of course, the unit costs can vary greatly depending on the what is purchased and in what volume.

I quit worrying about the cost of my reloads decades ago, I know they are less expensive than store bought ammunition. And if it isn't, I probably really do not want to shoot it anyway.

If I do buy ammunition, I look at whether the cases are reusable and look at it as much as a source of cases as ammunition.

2bfree
October 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
You can try this calculator.http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

silicosys4
October 3, 2012, 02:50 PM
My observed costs:
9mm
Hand cast Lead:1000 x 125 gr. = 18 lbs @ 1.20/lb (alloy) = $21.60
Brass: $22/500, = $44 total
Primers: CCI SPP @ $38/1k (overpriced, but what can you do)
Powder: 2/3 lb Clays @ $18/lb, $12 total

Grand total: $115.60 and 6 hours of my time in casting, prepping, sizing, lubing, and loading

Hand cast lead: 1000 x 200 gr. = 29 lbs @ $1.20/lb (alloy) = $29
Brass: $38/500 = $76
Primers: CCI LPP @ $38/1k (meh)
Powder: 2/3 Clays @ $18/lb

Grand total: $161 and 6 hours of my time in casting, prepping, sizing, lubing, and loading.

Granted, the second 1k is going to be a lot cheaper since you won't be purchasing brass....the cost will go to
$72/1k for 9mm
$85/1k for .45

Many people get brass for free as well, and many people have good sources for free lead. This cuts costs significantly.

GLOOB
October 3, 2012, 07:05 PM
I'm at $150.00/k which is $7.50/50. Factory costs me $12.82 a box out the door at my LGS.
That's not an honest comparison. You're comparing some sort of bulk rate price of a reloaded round to the minimum purchase quantity (convenience cost) of factory loads at a retail store. If you bought that many factory rounds, they'd be cheaper than $250/k.

The main reason I load 9mm is because I load for other calibers where I do save a bunch of money. So I already get cheap bulk rate primers and powder, incidentally. See how that works? All you need is one caliber where you save money, and you get a perfect excuse to waste time reloading all your other calibers, too. :)

In reality, it works more like this: I buy powder and primers in mass bulk, about once a year or two. Then I buy bullets in smaller bulk quantities, as I use them. This way I get bulk pricing on reloaded 9mm, without having to actually commit to it. I could end up shooting more of my other calibers. Reloading cheaply necessitates you "hoard" in large quantities. This way, you can hoard a lot of calibers with a little more flexibility, and without spending quite as big a fortune up front. If you're not interesting in buying a lot up front to save a little, then you probably won't save much by reloading.

splattergun
October 3, 2012, 07:30 PM
My 9mm costs about .03 more per round to make than Winchester white box costs to buy. But it's MY load, it shoots better, and I like it much better.
I guess self-satisfaction has a value as well.

mike.h
October 3, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hand-loading cost calculator: http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Yarddog
October 3, 2012, 08:15 PM
I save considerly on reloading, The more the cal.cost the more I save as in 357 mag. I know it was'nt on your list just ramblin ; ) PS I load 9s for 4-5 cent apeice Don't load 45s
Y/D

Steel185
October 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
I cast so i'm in a simular situation with SIlicosys who layed it out very well. But also you are assuming reloads and store bought are the same, there is an accuracy factor that isn't there with store bought, assuming you worked up the load. So I'm saying it will "go bang" but not exactly the same, that "cost" is difficult to calculate. Then you also have the different combinations of bullets and powder that may not be found in "store bought" ammo.

BYJO4
October 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
It costs me $120 per K for 9MM using 115 gr FMJ bullet and $170 for 45 using a 230 gr FMJ. My reloads also shoot better than factory ammo.

chris in va
October 3, 2012, 09:10 PM
You guys aren't factoring two costs...labor and equipment.

I use a Hand Press. It's the cheapest way to reload and still do so in a 'sane' manner. It still cost about $140 all told including scale, dies, caliper, molds etc. I've long since recovered my equipment costs after thousands loaded.

spoondog
October 3, 2012, 09:38 PM
I dont load 9mm, but 45 ACP costs me about $30.00 per thousand in materials using my cases(which you can reload almost forever), Red Dot powder, Wolf primers and my handcast lead bullets which I cast from tire weights I get for free. It is a HUGE savings over factory ammo and much more accurate.

sfed
October 3, 2012, 09:50 PM
I started reloading thinking it would save a little money over buying quality ammo. Then when I started really getting into it, it was almost like an addiction. I could do so many different things and make ammo that is way more accurate for about the same money as the cheap ammo or maybe a bit more depending on the components I used. Other than 22 caliber ammo I have bought 2 boxes of ammo in the last 2 to 3 years and that was for a 357 I bought and I wanted to fire some rounds to check it out, also have brass to reload when the components come in for the 357/ 38 special. I think once the reloading bug bites you the way it did me, you will not be buying a lot of store bought ammo any more.

BemidjiDweller
October 3, 2012, 09:51 PM
For 9mm, I bought some Montana gold 95gr HPs for $115 I think, $25 bucks for primers and $20 bucks for powder. $160 bucks total for 1000rds of good quality ammo. Could definitely go a lot cheaper if you bought regular FMJs or lead.

RustyFN
October 3, 2012, 09:59 PM
Seems like its not really worth it to reload 9mm. I get 1000 rounds of pmc for $189 locally. Reloading 45acp would definitely be worth it though.

Depends. I can load 124 grain jacketed at todays prices for $125 if I buy in bulk. With my own cast lead bullets I can load 1,000 for $40. What makes it worth reloading for me is I end up with a lot better ammo than I can buy.

mstreddy
October 3, 2012, 10:51 PM
For those that don't save much on 9mm, you can really pile on the $ savings when you load something other than the standard 115 FMJ box ammo. For example, I've been loading some 147gr Speer TMJ (plated) subsonics for around $5.20/50 and $104/1K. I don't think you can find Subsonic loads for anywhere near that price point. Most 147 gr boxes I see are in the $15-20/50 range.
Ok, on the 115grs, if I go FMJ or plated I can load 1K for $114. That's WAY less than $10/50. Actually it's $5.70.

In 45 ACP, the savings are substantially more when compared to box/case prices.
And as many have mentioned, loading lead will reduce the costs even more.

And yes, it does take time, but I don't factor that in, as this is another part of the hobby.

jcwit
October 3, 2012, 11:03 PM
Yes, you can cast bullets for almost nothing, normally, until you start talking 10,000 rds or so per year. Then you have to go buy the lead at scrap yards, and you have 3c apiece or so in 9mm, maybe 5c in 230 gr .45's. I'd never bother to buy commercial cast, swaged or jacketed bullets for practice. I shoot too much for that. 10,000 bullets, which is just 1/2 year's practice for me, quickly pay for a Star Progressive sizer-luber, a pair of 6 cavity lee Molds, and a used, propane fired plumber's furnace. such a setup will let you turn out over 800 finished bullets an hour. Get the big progressive Lee press for $200 or so on Ebay, and get the bullet feeder accesory for it, and it will load 800 rds an hour. So you can have 400 bullets an hour, at a savings of 15-20c per shot, for commercial reloads, depending upon caliber.

Number of years ago when my health was better, and gas wasn't $4.00 a gallon I shot more than 10,000 rounds a year. Did I ever buy lead from any source? NOPE!

I now have over 2 tons of lead smelted into ingots, all free, non for sale.

Lead is out there, it can be found. I know!

dragon813gt
October 3, 2012, 11:09 PM
Yes, you can cast bullets for almost nothing, normally, until you start talking 10,000 rds or so per year. Then you have to go buy the lead at scrap yards

Maybe for you, but not for me and many others. You're only talking 165#s for 10k of 115 grain bullets. That's not a lot of lead. My smelting sessions are usually in batches around 1k #s. So those 10k rounds are only 16% of one smelting session. Which I do a few times a year.

And I also see no need to add in tooling or my time. I reload during time when I don't have an opportunity to make money working. So my time is free. And the tools paid for themselves a long time ago.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

jcwit
October 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
And I also see no need to add in tooling or my time. I reload during time when I don't have an opportunity to make money working.

This is a concept that many are unable to comprehend!

RustyFN
October 3, 2012, 11:36 PM
Did I ever buy lead from any source? NOPE!

I now have over 2 tons of lead smelted into ingots, all free, non for sale.

Lead is out there, it can be found. I know!

That's my experience also. I have around 1,600 pounds of WW's around half in ingots. I still have two tire shops that I can pick up free WW's when I want to.

ArchAngelCD
October 4, 2012, 01:48 AM
You can try this calculator.http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
That's the calculator I used to work up the prices in Post #2.

ArchAngelCD
October 4, 2012, 01:55 AM

I use a Hand Press. It's the cheapest way to reload and still do so in a 'sane' manner. It still cost about $140 all told including scale, dies, caliper, molds etc. I've long since recovered my equipment costs after thousands loaded.
We aren't factoring in equipment because the OP said not to. Also, most reloaders consider reloading a hobby so factoring in "labor costs" doesn't fit in. (at least with me it doesn't)

jcwit
October 4, 2012, 06:44 AM

Do you factor in your time while eating dinner, or how about while you're sleeping? Do you factor in your driving time going to and from work as part of your work day which is lowering your pay oer hour? How bout the driving time going to and from the range?

Magnum Shooter
October 4, 2012, 07:18 AM
I just made a healthy BM, it cost me about $20, when I factored in TP magazine, water, and my time. ;) :D

shinyroks
October 4, 2012, 08:20 AM
I can load 1000 45 ACP for about $150 with 200/230 ball or cheaper hps such as Berry's. Good hollow points bump the price up to .30/rnd. Where I find the actual savings is my willingness to invest in casting. Actual cost comes out to about $40/1000. If Time is considered I figure in the $80/1000 range. Easily justifies the cost of the molds and pot, got lucky on a lubrisizer, but often just liquid alox them.

cfullgraf
October 4, 2012, 08:32 AM

Time and capital cost are probably the largest subject of discussion when talking about the cost of reloaded ammunition.

Many folks consider reloading as a hobby and therefore the time and capital costs invested are entertainment costs and do not affect the monetary value of the ammunition.

Other folks cannot get past the financial aspects and frequently pass on reloading as such.

Neither is right or wrong, just what each individual considers to include.

I am in the first group. If i wasn't "wasting" time reloading, I'd be vegitating on the couch in front of the TV or spending endless hours surfing the 'net.

45Frank
October 4, 2012, 10:08 AM
ArchAngelCD

We aren't factoring in equipment because the OP said not to. Also, most reloaders consider reloading a hobby so factoring in "labor costs" doesn't fit in. (at least with me it doesn't)

Nicely said, I do think it's a hobby to most and you either like it or not. If you do you will be loading the next 25 or more years and yes most of the equipment will last they long. I still use parts of my Lee Anniversary beginners kit I bought in 1990 or so. If you don't like it you will sell your equipment at a very small loss, reloading equipment seems to keep it's value.

dickttx
October 4, 2012, 02:09 PM
I spent over 50 years charging for my time, minute by minute, but I never considered time spent reloading, shooting, fishing, etc, as chargable time. In fact I always considered that time as necessary to allow me to perform my chargable time.

Hondo 60
October 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sounds like it's time to post the reloading calculator again.

I didn't create it, but I like it!

www.jbabcock.net/guns/calc.xls

clone
October 6, 2012, 01:24 AM
About $100 per 9mm 115gr FMJ and $150 for 45acp 230gr FMJ.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much does it cost?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!