Shotgun scope

PDA

Stacer
October 3, 2012, 09:33 AM
I am looking at going after some whitetail next month and I have recently acquired a westernfield 550 which is a rebranded mossberg 500. The shotgun already has rifle sights and a scope rail. I would like some opinions on cheap scopes, reflex sights, what have you. Most shots would be at ~100 yards or less using rifled slugs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flyincedar
October 3, 2012, 09:36 AM
The Burris Fastfire II is not a bad choice for a red dot. I was skeptical at first, and have always been a bit of a scope snob, until I tried a buddy's that was mounted on a BPS slug gun. It stands up to the beating and maintains zero. 100 yards and less should be an easy shot with a red dot, and not as hard to track as it could be through a scope. Just my .02

Virginian
October 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
I have a Burris SpeedBead - Fastfire with an integral mount - and so far I like it. I wingshoot with it and it works easily. And to all the naysayers that preach focusing on the target, with a reflex sight you do focus on the target.

Fred Fuller
October 3, 2012, 01:04 PM
Does the comb on your stock as it is now align your eye high enough for a scope? If not consider padding it to get it high enough.

Virginian
October 3, 2012, 05:16 PM
The SpeedBead puts the red dot about 1/8 to 1/4" above the rib optically with it's integral mount. Lower than a conventional mount. One reason I went with it.

1911 guy
October 4, 2012, 12:09 AM
I'll admit to buying a cheap Tasco 2.5X that I expected to get one season out of with my smoothbore Mossberg. It's been on there for five or six years now and never shifted zero.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with a higher end glass. Just don't buy a scope more suited to 500 yard rifle than 75 yard shotgun.

The burris Speedbead does come highly recommended from those who have used them.

JEB
October 4, 2012, 12:14 AM
my slug gun wears a bushnell banner 1.75-4x. plenty of eye relief and it lines up pretty quick. at about $70 its more than worth it IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!