Lubricating Rifle cases

PDA

Bob_B
October 3, 2012, 01:13 PM
I have a case feeder on an XL650 and am a little hesitant to put greasy cases in it! I have Hornady case lube in the red can and also some mica powder that I got from Midway years ago. The whole case lube thing tho necessary seems messy? Is there a better to perform this step? Am loading
.308 Win.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lubricating Rifle cases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
98Redline
October 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
Spray the cases and let them dry before putting them in the feeder.

The Hornady stuff in the red can leaves very little lube behind when all of the volatile stuff evaporates off.

MtnCreek
October 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
I prep brass in large batches, then load as needed. Lube does make for a greasy case feeder, but I don’t need to do it often. When prepping for smaller batches, I just size on a single stage.

KansasSasquatch
October 3, 2012, 01:25 PM
Quie a few people will suggest NOT using that Hornady One Shot, myself included. Since you're using a case feeder I would suggest using RCBS Case Slick. I have some in a little pump sprayer and I've found it to work much better than One Shot, even if I apply One Shot exactly as directed. I don't think you'll find anyone who's had problems putting lubed cases through a case feeder unless they do their reloading in dirty/dusty conditions which you shouldn't do anyways.

Canuck-IL
October 3, 2012, 02:13 PM
It's not a matter of if - only when - you stick a bottle neck case in the sizing die using One-Shot. Great stuff for smooth reloading of pistol cases though.

/Bryan

Shmackey
October 3, 2012, 10:48 PM
Just use good case lube and wipe out your feeder.

stubbicatt
October 5, 2012, 09:03 AM
I like the Lee lube which, when mixed about 12 to 1 with 90% Iso alcohol and put in an atomizer and squirted over the cases then dries up. Doesn't leave any residue, and if you don't feel like it, don't have to wipe down the loaded ammo either.

Mike 27
October 5, 2012, 11:34 AM
The one shot works great as long as you follow the directions exactly. I put the cases in the block and spray at a 45deg angle from all 4 sides and let dry for at least 15 minutes. I have used it for thousands of cases and never had a stuck case. I have yet to figure out why there are nay sayers it is a great product IMO.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Lubricating Rifle cases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!