Check and double check first

PDA

Blackrock
October 3, 2012, 05:50 PM
Went to the range this morning with four rifles. Had a .222 Rem, .223 Rem, 6mm Rem and .257 Roberts. My plan was to fire 5 rounds from each rifle in succession at the 200 yard gong plus some clay pigeon targets I laid out on the berm. Got all set up on the bench with four boxes of ammo and my shooting rest, Went through one round of shooting all four rifles and when on my second round with the .257 Roberts I couldn't even hit the 12" gong after hitting the 6" gong at 200 yards in the first round.

Du-oh, checked which box of ammo was in front of me and it was the 6mm stuff. Chambered OK and shot-erm-normal but wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Check out the case specs. The 6mm Rem and .257 Robert are so close dimensionaly it ain't funny.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check and double check first" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
poco loco
October 3, 2012, 06:09 PM
had a friend do the same with my rifles, shot a .243 through the 308. It was pretty obvious when it hit the dirt 20 yards ahead and 15 to the left of the target...

My fault though, I should never have had both boxes on the bench. It will never happen again though, easy no damage or danger learning exp. Luckily it wasnt the other way around, though I dont think the 308 would have chambered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check and double check first" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!