Opinions on the following trade..?

PDA

jimbombo
October 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hello. Just recently picked up a excellent used single six convertible 5 1/2 in stainless, with both cylinders, felt bag, and original manual. I really like it, but did some fishing just to see what offers I would get. Got the following 2 offers, and would like your opinions to trade or to keep it...

1. Ruger blackhawk, .357 stainless, 4 5/8 inch barrel, in excellent condition, doesn't appear to have been fired much at all, no box or manual.

2. S&W Model 15, 4 inch barrel, no dash in VG to excellent shape, almost no turn ring, no box or manual.

Opinions please..?

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on the following trade..?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
solidsnake
October 3, 2012, 09:30 PM
I vote trade for the M15!

Zebraranger
October 3, 2012, 09:37 PM
Since I'm a Ruger fan and prefer stainless steel handguns over blued, I'd most likely go for the S/A Blackhawk myself. Another deciding factor is whats already in my small collection.

Guillermo
October 3, 2012, 09:48 PM
Model 15 is a great revolver. You cannot buy a gun like that anymore.

You can buy Rugers every day of the week.

Go for "no longer made" instead of "can buy anywhere"

beeenbag
October 3, 2012, 10:01 PM
Go for model 15.

If you dont like it I'm sure you could trade back into another ruger real quick like with it.

wanderinwalker
October 3, 2012, 10:27 PM
Somebody is willing to trade you a nice S&W M-15 straight across for a run-of-the-mill Ruger Single-Six? This should be a "see what I just traded for" thread! ;)

(My vote, get the S&W. Rugers are good but medium frame S&Ws in .38 Special and .357 Magnum are great.)

dgroff85
October 3, 2012, 10:32 PM
S&W Model 15....If I had to pick

skidder
October 3, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm a dyed in the wool Ruger nut, but I prefer DA revolvers. The 15 is a fine weapon.

Old Dog
October 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
A used Single Six for a clean Model 15? Where do you guys find these suckers for your trades? I'd suggest the Model 15 can do more than a Single Six ... effective self-defense (I carried one as an MP a long time ago), fun gun at the range, good plinker out in the woods ... The Single Six has its niche, but well ... not so collectible, and boy those old Smiths have such great finishes. You may have guessed I'd trade for the M 15 in a heartbeat if it was my trade ...

BCRider
October 3, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'd say that either one is equal or better by some amount than what you have now.

If it were me and knowing how much I enjoy my Single Six as well as my .38's I'd likely want to just keep the SS and buy the 15.

The Blackhawk is a darn nice gun as well. In the end I think it comes down to which of the three you'd shoot the most and get regular smiles from. Or which fills a need in your day to day use or hole in your collection.

Radagast
October 4, 2012, 04:15 AM
Single six is on my want list - I still regret trading mine ten years ago.
Model 15 is on my want list -I need a companion to my Model 18.
I've no love for the Blackhawk. YMMV.

The decider is this: A Model 15 no dash means a 1957-1959 built gun. You will probably never find another one of those in near new condition.
You are also looking at a time when American manufacturing was the best in the world and S&Ws staff would have included people who had produced 1.5 million K frames in the previous 18 years. That much output will eventually give you 'the touch'. So there is a good chance it will be the equivalent of 'gunsmith hand fitted' in a gun produced today, for a dollar value that is a quarter of the price of a performance center gun.

Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, there will be plenty of other Rugers to choose from.

highpower
October 4, 2012, 09:33 AM
I will add to the chorus and say get the M15. They are quite simply one of the best .38 special revolvers out there. I had one years ago and sold it like the idiot that I am and have been looking for another for many years.

The Single Six's are nice enough guns, but are as common as dirt and not at all hard to find. The four screw S&W's are, on the other hand, very hard to find due to their limited period of production. Add to that the fact that they are superbly made and you would be foolish to let it slip through your fingers. You can always find another .22 revolver.

Guillermo
October 4, 2012, 10:54 AM
Jimbo,

If you stick with Rugers please PM me. I will buy a single six to trade the guy for the 15.

bannockburn
October 4, 2012, 11:39 AM
I would also go with the Model 15 straight up for your Super Single Six. The Blackhawk is nice,as is the Super Single Six, but they are still also readily available versus finding such a well preserved Model 15.

just for fun
October 4, 2012, 11:51 AM
Any day of the week that you can trade a ruger for a Smith, your way ahead of the game. On the same note, don't do people you consider friends this way.

snooperman
October 4, 2012, 11:54 AM
Go with the model 15. I have the model 15 with 4" barrel and nickle finish and they are a fine revolver. You will not be disappointed.

788Ham
October 4, 2012, 01:26 PM
I'd trade for that M15 in a heartbeat, one can find those Rugers at any gun show! Wish I knew where that guy was, trade would be history!! ..... and who needs a box?

MCgunner
October 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'd keep the Ruger. Smith M10s are a dime a dozen and I prefer the 10 with no ADJUSTABLE sights, anyway. Actually, I have both, though my Ruger is a blued 6.5" model. I shoot it a lot more than I do the M10. The 15 is a neat model, perhaps buy it and keep both? I don't like trading a good handgun, myself. I've done it and kicked myself later.

Remllez
October 4, 2012, 03:08 PM
The guy with the Smith may not understand that he has a near collector model 15. As said before the Rugers turn up much more frequently for decent prices. However if you are a Ruger fan and want the Blackhawk it's more than a fair trade for you as well.

Hoppes Love Potion
October 4, 2012, 03:11 PM
Model 15 for sure. There's a reason they call it the Combat Masterpiece.

TreeDoc
October 4, 2012, 04:53 PM
Can't wrong with either, I have both and the Blackhawk gets shot more, but that just me.

AJumbo
October 4, 2012, 06:33 PM
I love my Ruger SAs, but I would snap up that M15 in a blurry second.

jimbombo
October 7, 2012, 03:40 PM
Model 15. Conservatively excellent shape, looks never fired except for slightest turn line!
Was thinking of trading for my dream 9mm, a CZ P-01, but now I am having second thought! The 15 is Beautiful, I am limited with my budget, I really want the CZ, but should I wait, hold onto the 15 and get the CZ some other time? I guess what I am asking is how hard is it to get one of these smith's in this shape?

jimbombo
October 7, 2012, 04:00 PM
Here it is.

beeenbag
October 7, 2012, 04:05 PM
I don't think everyone advised the M15 for its overwhelming value over your rugers. I think it was more along the lines of, these are hard to get in great shape. The older ones like this one in great shape is about as rare as hens teeth.

I am gonna stick with my guns, (pun intended) and say keep the 15 and save for a cz.

jimbombo
October 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks Been...
I am learning that listening to people in this forum, is Wise!

CraigC
October 7, 2012, 05:09 PM
Model 15 is a great revolver. You cannot buy a gun like that anymore.

You can buy Rugers every day of the week.

Go for "no longer made" instead of "can buy anywhere"
What he said, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. And it is Sunday. So there. It should be well-established that I am a single action nut but I also have thing for older S&W's. Particularly bright blued K-frames with adjustable sights. Particularly when they chamber anything but the .357Mag. I'd make that trade without hesitation, so quick I'd probably pull a muscle. I love Rugers but the two in question are a dime a dozen. Make the trade, get the Smith, don't look back. Do it.....now.

WaywardSon
October 7, 2012, 11:59 PM
Get the 15 and resist all temptation to get rid of it for any reason. Save up for the CZ...I have a CZ-75B and love it...great pistol, but it is no S&W.

As an earlier poster said, "Buy what they don't make anymore". You can always turn up a Single-Six, Blackhawk, CZ etc. I turned up a K-38 Masterpiece about a month ago. It has been sold for the last time:D

Radagast
October 8, 2012, 09:09 PM
If I was in the States I would take it off your hands so you could buy the CZ. Unfortunately I'm in Australia and the logistics don't quite work. :(
I used to love stainless and plastic. I've gotten older and now the aesthetics of blued steel and walnut have been revealed to me.
But. Your money, your toy, your decision.

Guillermo
October 9, 2012, 10:16 PM
What he said

CraigC agrees with me!!!

What the heck?!?!

sedona
October 9, 2012, 10:59 PM
The M15 would be hard to pass up.

CraigC
October 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
CraigC agrees with me!!!
Happens all the time! Where you been??? :p

Guillermo
October 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
just teasing you

you do agree with me

a sign of intelligence :evil:

CraigC
October 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Obviously! ;)

jimbombo
October 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
Craig and Guillermo....

The more i look at and handle the 15, I have come to the conclusion that it will not go anywhere... (this may be the handgun that I put away for my son)

On a seperate note I am wondering how much i should expect to pay for a nice set of Smith wood grips for my 686-5 round butt? Were the originals the diamond magna's?? Oh the smaller set of grips, not the target!

Thanks Guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on the following trade..?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!