Do you shoot 1000 yards?

PDA

Captcurt
October 3, 2012, 09:00 PM
I can't get over the number of people who are obsessed with shooting at 1000 yard's. How many of you have tried it and how successful were you?

I worked with a youngster who had his heart set on killing a deer at 1k. That was until I got a book down and showed him the bullet drop. With his sightin he would be 37 feet low and that doesn't take wind into consideration.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you shoot 1000 yards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
October 3, 2012, 09:10 PM
I used to shoot NRA matches with service rifle (M14) and .300 Win. Mag. (custom bolt gun).

While I could make shots "on call" with the M14 at 600, a number of shots just landed in weird places at 1000. I had to work hard to break 180 (out of 200) with the M14.

With the .300, and a 24x scope, the game was fairly boring. I almost NEVER shot outside the 8 ring, and it was always easy to break 190 with the magnum. Problem is, if all you can shoot is a 190 in the open/optics class, you'll be in about last place. I lost interest in shooting that rifle when the competition was shooting lots of 200's, and the match being decided by X-count. I felt a lot of sympathy for a fella who shot a 199-14x one day, who lost to a guy who shot a 200-8x.

Yeah. I've done it.

I'd rather shoot service rifle across the course these days.
If my eyes keep "going," I may have to relent, and switch to a match rifle or a tactical rifle.
No plans at this point to shoot 1000 any more.

Balrog
October 3, 2012, 09:13 PM
I cant see 1000 yds. Therefore, I do not shoot 1000 yds.

Shadow 7D
October 3, 2012, 09:18 PM
Take out a bag, fill with 120# of stuff
have him walk 1K pick up the bag, then bring it back...

Yeah it's cool, but not something I'm set on, I have guns that could do it, but with bad eyes and lacking the want/money to get the scopes and setup to make sure I'm on paper, I think 300- 500 is just fine by me.

meanmrmustard
October 3, 2012, 09:21 PM
Nope. I find no satisfaction in luckily hitting anything at that distance. I can't do it reliably, don't care to waste the ammo, and won't shoot at animals that far. Finding spots to shoot at that distance in Northern MO are scarce.

aubie515
October 3, 2012, 09:21 PM
I like it...I'm hoping to shoot a mile this spring.

browningguy
October 3, 2012, 09:27 PM
I would never hunt at 1000 yards!

I do shoot at 1000 yards on occasion but more normally at 300 and 600 yards.

My primary long range gun, which is also my PD gun, in .243 Winchester. It shoots pretty decent with 107 gr. SMK's. Savage model 12 with Lothar Walther 8 twist 28" barrel. I used to use the 6.5-20 scope shown but have recently switched it to an 8-32 but no new pics yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/savage12fvLWbarrel1.jpg

chaser_2332
October 3, 2012, 09:32 PM
i shoot 1000yds quite often, but i dont think laying down on a deer is a great idea at that distance.

627PCFan
October 3, 2012, 09:36 PM
I worked at 1000 with my 7mm and my 6.5x55 for a while. I couldn't take the recoil of the 7for extended range work, and never got through load development with the Swede. I found it easier to shoot 600 plus because I could spot my own shots. I put a lot of rounds down range between both guns ans still limit myself to 300 yards from hunting-within max pbr. Steel is one thing. Accurate, humane, Clean kills are another.

taliv
October 3, 2012, 09:45 PM
i don't advocate hunting any large game beyond around 600. i've won a couple 1000 yard NRA matches, but i mostly enjoy shooting from unknown distance targets between 400-1400 yards.

more particularly, i like doing it at night.

good hits beyond 200 yds are pure luck

lots of people practice shooting movers. several matches feature relatively small (5-8") targets between 400-600 yards moving 2-5 mph. i've seen people get 9 or 10 hits on it in a minute.

Fat_46
October 3, 2012, 10:09 PM
On prairie dogs I've had lots of success recently. At 500 I'm hitting 95%, at 750 I miss 30% of the time. At 1000 I miss every time. I took a few years to get up to 500, as I just don't have a range readily available to practice that distance. While I do reload 100% of the rounds I shoot, even using a chronometer I was inconsistent at longer ranges.

I really think its experience. My wind reading, dope, and shooting has got me to the point I am. In another few years I believe 750 will be a high probability shot for me.

1000? Without more than once or twice yearly practice it's really nothing more than a dream for me.

PapaG
October 3, 2012, 10:24 PM
Get real. Probably less than 50 percent of the states have a thousand yard range. Less than 5 percent of the shooters can even deal with the idea of shooting where the drop and windage issues are beyond most engineer's abilities to compute. I wish we all had access to a thousand yard range so that the writers who espouse long range shooting could be held to task. I've shot up to 200 yards in competition (civil war musket) and that was plenty challenging.

Ridgerunner665
October 3, 2012, 10:37 PM
There is a forum dedicated to it... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

With enough gun, at least 300 WM, it is entirely possible and is done quite often...

I've taken deer at a bit over 800 a couple of times, but these days I tend to agree with taliv...most folks should stick to 600 yards, which can be done with much more affordable setups (pretty much any rifle that can shoot at least 1 MOA...30-06, 280, 7mm Mags, etc.)...but it takes range time and a good bit of it.

It is NOT point and shoot like 200 yards...but it really is not as hard to shoot at 1,000 yards as most make it seem...all it takes is a good rifle, a good scope, the right bullets...and some practice...37 feet of drop is NOTHING, that is easy to calculate because it is pretty much constant unless you change altitude...wind on the other hand can be, and is, enough to make a person lose their religion at times.

P.S. I have hit a few coyotes at over 1K...and some of them were moving (<<< yeah, those hits had a lot of luck involved).

meanmrmustard
October 3, 2012, 10:42 PM
I find it (hunting) at that distance unethical. It's one thing to bring enough gun for long range, but the variables that factor in that can miff a shot at that distance are disproportionate to the value of felling an animal at that range. Wound it, and good luck finding it with over a half mile head start.:banghead:

Howard Roark
October 3, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have and do shoot 1K. I'm an NRA Highmaster in LR, MR and XTC. A few years ago I coached and shot on a team at Camp Perry that won 2nd place Master class.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to compete at long range and especially mid range (600 yards). Unfortunately too few people actually show up to shoot these matches.

ApacheCoTodd
October 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
I've got a nice chunk of iron at 1000 that's fun to go after with Garands, 0-3s and such with iron sights from time to time. And I'd pop the .50 off at 1000 and over when I was shooting it but really gave up target shooting at that range as much out of not wanting to service paper targets at that range anymore. as for any of a number of other reasons.

allaroundhunter
October 3, 2012, 11:39 PM
No animal or man is going to just stand there while you take "spotter" shots on him. He is going to be running, and on such moving targets, good hits beyond 200 yds are pure luck. It doesn't matter who you are or what gear you use, either, cause the animal, is bouncing up and down with each step, and the man is dodging, and you can't calculate the required "leade" enough to get reliable hits.

It really is not "luck", it is practice. This past weekend I shot two feral dogs, one as it walking at 250 yards, and then his buddy that was running away at about 325. Only took one shot at each. If you are able to practice on moving targets, hitting real life moving targets isn't much different.

Now, I would never shoot at a larger game animal that was moving at those distances, and would never take a shot at one that was stationary past about 400 yards.

Ridgerunner665
October 4, 2012, 12:08 AM
No animal or man is going to just stand there while you take "spotter" shots on him. He is going to be running,

Not always...I've seen a few misses...not all of them long range, where the deer just looked up and tried to figure out what happened.

One time, I saw a spike as I was climbing down out of a tree stand...had to stop with all my weight on a not so good part of the ladder...just as I shot the rung broke, the shot just barely, and I mean BARELY, cut the hide on the deers front leg...now I was busy for a second trying not to fall (I succeeded) but my buddy was only about 70 yards away.

He said the deer "flicked" its leg like a fly had bitten him, I didn't see that part, but there was a fresh "mark" on the deers leg...not even enough to bleed, just took the hair off more or less...but what I did see was him go back to browsing for acorns like nothing happened.

I got him with the 2nd shot...the rifle was a 25-06...the deer was within 100 feet through the whole ordeal.

A couple of years back...the scope on my sons 308 went bad, he shot at a deer that was appx. 275 yards away 5 times...hitting within 3-5 feet of it every time...the deer never ran, just looked around trying to figure out what all the noise was about...my son got him with my rifle after he emptied his.

I missed one (yeah, it happens) at just over 300 yards 2 years ago...only missed him by about 12" (I think it was a bad reload)...it startled him a bit, but he just looked when the bullet kicked up dirt, then went back to browsing.

They have a hard time associating the bullet with the gunshot when it comes from a distance...they don't generally run, and if they do...it ain't far because they aren't sure which way they need to go.

USSR
October 4, 2012, 07:44 AM
I shot in 1,000 yard F Class competition for 6 years. IMHO, the hardest part of shooting LR is learning to read flags and make the correct W&E adjustments. With just the slightest change in atmospheric conditions, POI can change by up to 18". Attempting to make shots at live game at this distance can easily result in wounded and lost animals. Despite my experience at shooting at this distance, out of respect for the animals, I would never attempt it. Just MHO.

Don

Tempest 455
October 4, 2012, 08:06 AM
My son has been practicing to shoot his 1st F class next spring. We have been out to 800 so far. Yes it's a lot of fun but more than just elavation on windage as the others have stated.

Driftertank
October 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
I have a place available where me and a friend have ranged and staked a 900yd range. Shooting semiauto .308's, it's more than sufficient. The lane extends back enough to stake that last 100, but we haven't bothered yet. Still working on load workups now, then we plan to start stretching out. So, no, i don't shoot at 1k yet, but it's not out of the question.

As for hitting a target on the move, i once tagged a coyote at about 350yd (reticle ranged) quartering away right-left at a fast lope. It's not easy, and it wasn't the first shot, but it's not plain luck, either. Appropriate optics make judging lead and holdover much easier.

BullfrogKen
October 4, 2012, 05:26 PM
Steel is one thing. Accurate, humane, Clean kills are another.

Yup.

37 feet of drop is NOTHING, that is easy to calculate because it is pretty much constant unless you change altitude...wind on the other hand can be, and is, enough to make a person lose their religion at times.

Isn't that the truth!

I have and do shoot 1K. I'm an NRA Highmaster in LR, MR and XTC. A few years ago I coached and shot on a team at Camp Perry that won 2nd place Master class.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to compete at long range and especially mid range (600 yards). Unfortunately too few people actually show up to shoot these matches.

Rock on dude! That's quite an accomplishment!!!

But that's quite true. We've got tens of thousands of deer hunters in Pennsylvania and more tens of thousands who own rifles but don't hunt. I see the same 60 or 70 faces show up to shoot Across the Course matches throughout the year. And another group of the same 60 or 70 out at my local range actually practicing some form of rifle shooting at all.

I've played around at 1,000 yards. I wouldn't attempt it on game that far out. The risk of a bad shot or a bad wind call is too much for me. I'd feel horrible wounding an animal and causing it to suffer.

Want to shoot 1,000 yards? Go shoot steel at an organized range - or even unorganized but safe location. Enter an NRA match.

Leave the live critters alone until you know how hard it really is.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
October 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
I shoot a 50bmg at 800+yards. I wish people knew how difficult it is to hit steel at 1400-1500 yards.. Most think you just pick up a rifle and compensate for bullet drop...

Detritus
October 4, 2012, 08:23 PM
I've fired a lifetime total of 20rds at 1,000 out of those 20 I was able to put 15 within the 9-ring (with a metric ton of coaching by a more experienced shooter)

i want to do work back out to 1K and eventually start shooting the F-class match held locally (within a reasonable drive that is). But for now i'm goign to stick to 600 or less till i feel comfortable with that distance then strech out a bit.

and like so many others, i fully back this statement

Leave the live critters alone until you know how hard it really is.

in fact i'll go so far as to say that most shooters don't have a clear idea of just how far 1,000yrds is. and most will cringe at the idea of shooting at something that is invisible (Game animal sized) without optics

I feel safe saying that most shooters and hunters in the US would be unwilling to walk a Kilometer (yes i know 1K yards isn't same as 1K meters, but close enough), and if you won't step it out the odds are you're not going to be aware of all the factors that can come into play (such as wind changes) over that distance.

drsfmd
October 4, 2012, 09:02 PM
I belong to a club that has a 1000 yard range, but I've never shot at that distance. Maybe someday I'll start learning about the long distance stuff... for now I'm content at 300.

Cee Zee
October 5, 2012, 12:17 AM
I wish I had a place close by to shoot 1000 yards safely but I really don't. Actually I probably could get on top of a big hill and shoot straight down the Ohio River and keep bullets from getting away from me. I know a spot that's just about perfect but that "just about" part is enough to keep me from trying it. I'd have to carry my rifle and ammo through thick woods to get to that place too. It's overlooking a cliff that was cut out when they put a highway in. It's about a 400 foot drop from that cliff to the road below so there's not much going to run in front of me if I shot from there. And the Ohio is pretty wide where I live - about half a mile or more - so putting a round right in the middle of the river pointed straight down the river with no houses on either side of the river for a few miles would almost be good enough but you just never know when some kid might be walking the river bank. I did it myself way back when. I guess I still do sometimes. So I've never done it. It's be so hard to tell where you were hitting it woudn't be practical anyway.

I don't believe it would be nearly as hard as some are making it out to be though. It took me about a dozen trips to the gun range to learn to shoot 500 yards. I didn't think that was bad at all. I know more problems crop up at longer distances but I figure I could learn them. As for hitting moving targets all i can say is we learned to shoot by shooting moving targets. They were called rabbits and squirrels. Plus we shot bats at times when they became a problem by nesting around the house. Shooting a moving target isn't that hard. You don't need to learn to spot right at the moment you're trying to kill something. You do that when your "practicing". That's a word all shooters need to be on a first name basis with. You can't be a good hunter without practicing. I grew up shooting clays too. That's totally about shooting moving targets from a pretty good distance. I haven't done much of that for a long time so I doubt I could do it well but I sure see plenty of people who can at the gun range. They do real well at it in fact. We have several world champion shooters from my area here. Shooting sports are big here and trap shooting is probably the biggest one. Moving targets aren't so hard they can't be hit.

BullfrogKen
October 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
Cee Zee, do you live in Ohio or Pennsylvania?

danweasel
October 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Sure, and with a .308!

Of course the target was a burned out car and according to google maps, it was more like 950 yards.

No animal or man is going to just stand there while you take "spotter" shots on him.

Tell that to the dude who was on the wrong end of the world record sniper shot in Afgan. It took I think 5 shots, one of which hit the guy's ruck, to get on target. None of the Taliban even knew anything was going on...

rugerdude
October 10, 2012, 04:03 PM
Not realizing bullets are coming your way is quite different when they're subsonic. There's no mistaking a supersonic crack of a round going by.

I have shot an M40A3 (.308 rem 700 used by USMC) out to one mile (1760 yards) before with a gentleman named Todd Hoddnett. The wind is what kills you. Ballistic computers and THE PROPER OPERATION OF THEM (no, it's not just punch in barrel length and bullet weight) make elevation a breeze. I shot probably 15 rounds at a steel silhouette and hit once because the slight changes in the 1-3mph wind over time and distance kept throwing me left and right. It was not fun.

There are not always sufficient indicators along the path of the bullet to accurately judge wind. This is where years of experience pays off.

After that, 1,000 yards doesn't seem that far, and the right round (.300 win mag, .338, .50BMG) can really help ease the effect of environmental factors.

I do love the fixation that many people seem to have with 1,000 yards though. With the right setup it isn't very hard. I'd be much more impressed with someone who could make consistent hits at 800 or 700 than someone who one time shot something at 1,000.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
October 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Todd Hoddnett is the man. I could not believe how his teaching methods differ, but are well worth it. I was amazed to see his techniques and results. I had no idea he was in the Magpul Art of the Precision Rifle videos, until a friend told me. I had to buy them just to loan them out to my shooter friends.. He makes 1000 yards look like 200, the way he shoots..

BullfrogKen
October 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
I do love the fixation that many people seem to have with 1,000 yards though. With the right setup it isn't very hard. I'd be much more impressed with someone who could make consistent hits at 800 or 700 than someone who one time shot something at 1,000.

Ain't that the truth.

Some folks speak about shooting at 1k as if it's like losing one's virginity.

Fact is even posting consistent Master class scores at 600 yards can be a challenge to keep up all year. But that wind at long distances makes it a real challenge.

If all someone wants to do is do it once just to say he did it, that's no real challenge at all. Given enough rounds you'll eventually connect.

But to do it consistently, especially in the wind. That takes skill and experience. You're right, the wind can be frustrating enough to make a nun curse.

rugerdude
October 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
It's gotta be sniper school that has made 1,000 yards into such a desirable range to shoot at. I guess for SOME people it must be a sort of "Oh I hit a target out to the farthest range that snipers train to shoot at in school, I'm so awesome" type of thing.

But then again I guess it is a quadruple digit range so that's kinda neat.

If I recall correctly we were able to hit steel silhouettes (20"x40") at 950m with our M4A1's with some luck. Certainly not every time, but perhaps 1 in 3 (after we got dialed in with some spotter rounds as well). The A1's have heavier barrels so that may have helped and not every gun was capable of it. Either some were becoming shot out (mine actually was) or some guns were just exceptionally accurate. 1,000 is just a number people.

Longgun
November 7, 2012, 06:43 PM
I used to shoot 1000 yds, with both iron sight and glass. It does require a great deal of practice and physical conditioning to be consistant. I am hoping to have the chance to attempt my hand competition once more before time completely catches up with me. I've got to imagine that a score of 200-15X is not very big news anymore.

allaroundhunter
November 7, 2012, 06:45 PM
Not realizing bullets are coming your way is quite different when they're subsonic. There's no mistaking a supersonic crack of a round going by.

The round that hit the Taliban soldier for that "record" shot was still supersonic.

Howard Roark
November 7, 2012, 07:01 PM
Subsonic bullets make a distinctive sound too.

USSR
November 7, 2012, 08:42 PM
Subsonic bullets make a distinctive sound too.

Yeah, Simon and Garfunkle sang a song about that, "The Sound of Silence".:D I was spotting for a guy at the 1,000 yard line once, who foolishly was shooting 168SMK's which were going transonic on him. Many times, after he would shoot, the guys in the pits would not lower his target to mark his bullet hole. Reason? No sound so they never knew that he had fired at the target.

Don

SlamFire1
November 7, 2012, 09:54 PM
I shoot with some awesome competitors. I was squadded in a 1000 yard match with a Wimbleton Cup winner. We were shooting prone with a sling. The Winner commented on how good internet shooters were because these guys are always able to hit a teacup at 1000 yards, whereas we are just happy to be in the 36 inch black with our first shot. We, of course, were using rifles with known zero’s with known loads at a known range.

I am an awful 1000 yard shot. Last match I was all over the target and I don’t know why. I had shot a Master score in small bore prone the day before, so my hold should be good, but I might as well have been shooting a smoothbore based on the pattern I shot.

I have been shooting a 1000 yard match about every quarter. It is a lot harder than 600 yards.

I am opposed to long range “hunting” as I do not consider it humane. The probability of hitting an animal in a non vital spot is too high. Then finding it, I can’t imagine. I have shot squirrels out of trees, thirty yards away, and yet maneuvering through the trees and brambles, many times have I lost my coordinates because the woods look different from just a few yards away. Considering how much time I had to take to retrieve a few squirrels, how does anyone ever find a deer they hit from 1000 yards away?

BLB68
November 8, 2012, 04:30 AM
Farthest I've shot a rifle is 500, farthest I've shot a MG is 800, but neither case would be precision shooting. Can't see that far anymore, though.

valnar
November 8, 2012, 08:11 AM
Do you shoot 1000 yards?
Only if I completely miss, backstop and all.

Oh you mean on purpose? No. :D

bassdogs
November 8, 2012, 10:15 AM
Have zero interest in shooting to 1000 yds or for that matter anything close to that. I also have no issues with someone who wants to give it a try. My point would be that I don't have the desire, the $$$, the time, or the location to go at anything that exceeds reasonable hunting ranges. To me that means about 300 yds since my equipment, opportunity, and EYE sight limit me to that distance.

Sniper shooting which is what I call shooting at extreme ranges, seems to excite some shooters but not me.

brnmw
November 8, 2012, 10:19 AM
Yes.... I think I came within 1 mile of what I was aiming at! ;)

Hardtarget
November 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
To date, I've never been on a range of 1000 yds. In fact I think 300 is the longest and we did not shoot to full range that day. The club where I'm a member has 200 and I do try that on most trips. Its fun but I need practice. My shooting buddy wants to try the range near Clarksville. They have 500 yds. I don't have a spotting scope for that and it will get old quick walking way out there to see what we're doing! :D I need to just stick to the 200 yd club range.It's not boreing yet.
Mark

C-grunt
November 9, 2012, 12:37 AM
I havent in a while but I think I just found a place in the desert where I can get close. I was out with a friend shooting ARs and we decided to try some distance shooting from a nearby hill. Turned out to by a GPS measured 633 meters +/- 7 meters. That distance is pretty hard with a 16 inch barrel, an Aimpoint M2 and 55 grn FMJs. Also couldnt shoot prone because of where we were so we were stuck shooting from the sitting position.

Most of my distance shooting was with machine guns. Ive shot M2s and M240s out to around 2000 yards at truck targets. Ive also shot M240s and M249s out to around 1500 yards at actual trucks. Ive shot a M16A4 DMR with an ACOG out to around 1k and a little farther using M262. I couldnt hit you first round at that distance but you wouldnt want to stand around.

dsm
November 9, 2012, 12:58 AM
I shoot 1k IBS light gun with a 6mm Dasher.

mljdeckard
November 9, 2012, 01:00 AM
I'm....building up to it.

esheato
November 9, 2012, 02:11 AM
Sure do.

In fact, here is a pic from me last week in Texas shooting on a friends private 1k range. Group was right at 6" using my Cooper 243 AI and handloaded 90 Scenar bullets. NF optics up top.

The orange dot is 4" across for reference.

I know, I know, some of you are going to count 7 black marks...bullet splatter knocked off some paint that was peeling up uncovering the naked steel underneath. I promise you that is a genuine 5 shot group, fired in late morning wind.

EDIT: Oh, and that is the first time that I have touched that gun in almost a year. Handloads were made Nov/Dec of last year!

http://esheato.smugmug.com/Sports/Guns/i-tN9Ztk9/0/L/IMAG0337-L.jpg

Captcurt
November 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. I have never had the place to try anything over 500 and don't really have anything special to shoot. I would like to try it though.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 9, 2012, 06:36 PM
I don't hunt anymore, so I get my rifle jollies by long range shooting. I am working my way up with my 50, to ranges beyond a mile, so wish me luck..lol.

SlamFire1
November 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
I shot in a 1000 yard match yesterday. I did my usual awful. To show the unpredictability of shooting at that distance, first relay I shot 190 SMK 42.0 IMR 4064 in the 308. This shoots well but case life is short. Second relay I used 190 Hornady match and 41.5 grs IMR 4064, same case and primer. I have a couple of hundred old Hornady bullets and wanted to use them. I cut the load by a half grain to spare the brass.

My first shots second relay were in the berm. I had to crank at least 4 to 6 MOA up (about 4 to 6 feet up) till I started hitting the target. The pits relayed back that the bullet holes were oval. Obviously these Hornady bullets were tumbling.

I went back to 190 SMK ammunition to finish out the match, but this experience shows me just how tiny component changes make a huge difference at 1000 yards.

Now I am going to have to spend hours pulling the Hornady bullets and reloading. Yuck.

USSR
November 12, 2012, 08:05 AM
Hi SlamFire1,

With that load I'm guessing you're shooting a M1A? The 190SMK in a .308 is a good load BUT, as you've seen, the velocity has to be up there. The hands down best powder for 190's in a .308 case is N550. With my 26" barrel FN SPR I get an honest 2700fps while staying inside of the pressure specs. Of course, this load is only suitable in a modern bolt action rifle.

Don

Ramone
November 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
Forget the drop- you can work around it just fine.

let's give the lad the benefit of the doubt and assume he is a consistent 1 MOA shooter.

at 1000 yards, 1 MOA is a tiny bit more than 10 inches.

Add to that, the time in flight for a .308 Win is over 1.5 seconds- a deer can mosey about a fair bit in that amount of time.

A 5 MPH difference in wind down range can make a difference of 50 inches in POI. Depending on terrain, a 5 Mph difference is not uncommon over 1000 yards.

1000 yard shots *are* possible, but they require huge amounts of data- there is a reason Snipers always work with a spotter.

Edited to add:

above numbers are off the top of my head, based on my (25 year) recollection of the ballistics of M118 ammo from an M40A1 rifle.

kcshooter
November 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm good to about 600, maybe a little past. I've shot at 1000, but not enough to really learn all the nuances that will make me consistent at that distance. Of course, I've only had access to the area where I'm shooting long distance for about 7 months now.

I won't hunt past about 300 or so. Not ethical.
IMO, trying to hunt deer at 1000 yards is plain dumb.

SlamFire1
November 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
With that load I'm guessing you're shooting a M1A? The 190SMK in a .308 is a good load BUT, as you've seen, the velocity has to be up there. The hands down best powder for 190's in a .308 case is N550. With my 26" barrel FN SPR I get an honest 2700fps while staying inside of the pressure specs. Of course, this load is only suitable in a modern bolt action rifle.

Thanks Don. I was using a bolt rifle in 308. I have several kegs of Varget and I can get a bit more velocity without sticky extraction with that powder.

I will keep my eye out for N550.

d2wing
November 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
Target bullets and hunting bullets are not the same. It is possible to make the shot, but to make a humane kill is a very big problem as far as I am concerned.
I have shot deer at long range, under 500 yards. The 2 longest shots the deer were down but still alive when I got there. For that reason I limit the range of my shots to 300 yards depending on rifle used to make sure the deer is down and dead. I have seen 440 yard one shot kills on deer by a great shot. That is beyond my pay grade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you shoot 1000 yards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!