Modest priced spotting scope?

PDA

Tallbald
October 4, 2012, 12:59 AM
Been wanting a modest priced but well made spotting scope (if the two are not mutually exclusive). Suggestions? Honestly I had thought of putting the money into a good variable power rifle scope though instead, and have a more versatile instrument. I can come up with a tripod mount no trouble. Is that a goofy idea? Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Modest priced spotting scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pete D.
October 4, 2012, 07:50 AM
At what distances do you expect to be using this scope?
Take a look at scopes from Champions Choice....I have two of them and they are quite effective.....clear and bright imaging out to 200 yards, which is as far as I have used them. The C12-50 straight or angled eyepiece ($85-95).
http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Scopes_and_Binoculars-222.aspx

Pete

tuj
October 4, 2012, 09:12 AM
I use a Barska 20-60x. I would never buy Barska for my primary scope, but as a spotting scope, it actually works quite well. I can easily see .17HMR holes at 100 yards. My local range actually 'upgraded' all their loaner 20x spotting scopes to the Barska 20-60x scopes.

Tallbald
October 4, 2012, 09:48 AM
I now realize the distance I plan to use the scope was an important bit of info. Sorry. Out to 100 yards is my thought. I need to be able to see .22 holes in the target out to 100 yards. Don

AJumbo
October 4, 2012, 11:56 PM
Ditto on the Barska. I have a rubber-armored one that I got from Sportsman's Guide, and it had helped me find all kids of critters. Get a decent tripod for it; at 60X, any little vibration will make you thing there's a 8-Richter earthquake happening downrange.

AeroEngineer
October 5, 2012, 12:12 AM
Check out Konus scopes. I recently purchased Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope for under $200 shipped. Very clear picture for spotting at a couple hundred yards.

Shoot66
October 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
+1 I got the same model of Konus last July.

If you enjoyed reading about "Modest priced spotting scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!