How important is this next election for gun enthusiasts .

PDA

marine 97-03
October 4, 2012, 03:50 AM
Like the title says....anyone hearing anything on upcoming laws or bills??

If you enjoyed reading about "How important is this next election for gun enthusiasts ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
marine 97-03
October 4, 2012, 06:42 AM
And to clarify bills can become law determining what is legal and the next election may play a part in that

tuj
October 4, 2012, 08:06 AM
Anything anyone says at this point is largely speculation, but I honestly don't think it matters that much who wins the election. According to what I've read, Cabelas and other gun retailers have two ordering plans for who wins: if Obama, then order lots of guns and ammo, if Romney, order more camo and hunting gear. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444433504577651393759726660.html)

Based on what happened in 2008-09, an Obama win would be a sales victory for gun retailers.

1911 guy
October 4, 2012, 08:24 AM
Since Obama has openly stated that he'll try another gun control push or ban reminiscent of the "94, I think it'll have an impact on us.

Romney may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the RNC platform this time was pretty pro-gun worded.

lemaymiami
October 4, 2012, 08:46 AM
The answer to your question isn't very obvious - but it is there.... There is one power that any president has, which can actually outlive him/her.... That is the power to appoint both federal judges and those that will sit on the Supreme Court.

Even the possibility that our current president gets four more years of judicial appointments should keep you up at night. I expect that if Romney is elected we'll still have lots of occasion to complain but I believe that we'll be in a far better position.

November.... it just can't come soon enough.

Ryanxia
October 4, 2012, 08:47 AM
Stock up either way.

hso
October 4, 2012, 08:57 AM
There are no bills or amendments to bills in the federal legislative pipeline that have any impact on us at this time so the answer to your question about upcoming bills is, NONE.

Your question about the upcoming election is political and can't be answered meaningfully unless you're focused on Congressional races. The answer there is whether the individuals vying for Congress have individual RKBA/2A stances as part of their campaign since we've see Congresscritters from both parties support or undermine the 2A in their voting. Party affiliation isn't a reliable guide and using it is simpleminded, only the individual voting record or the campaign platforms can tell you if any of the candidates will help, hurt or be neutral on the issue important to us there. The RKBA organizations can help us evaluate the individual candidate's stance on gun owner's rights, but it is ultimately OUR individual responsibility to evaluate the candidates for political office instead of following others like sheep.

marine 97-03
October 4, 2012, 08:58 AM
Ok I posted below after I seen your post...... I know that Massachusetts was a not to gun friendly state correct ?? When mitt was governor and Obama and mrs clinton share similar views on guns I'm just worried that neither one will be easy on the 2nd amendment ..... and with 1 or 2. Supreme court seats coming up that could be HUGE ....correct

Is there any bills on the house floor that will be voted on before the election ?

Frogman
October 4, 2012, 09:21 AM
Just something to think about, 5 of the Supreme Court justices are 72years old and older.
Two have said they will step down if Obama is reelected. The liberal side of the Supreme Court has said that the Constitution is a ( Living breathing document ) that needs up dating not one that needs interpreting. The question is do you think a reordered Supreme court is on even ground with the framers of the Constitution. Your vote will change the country!!!!

AlexanderA
October 4, 2012, 10:10 AM
One thing is sure: this election is not the Armageddon the NRA is making it out to be, with their usual scare tactics.

smalls
October 4, 2012, 10:12 AM
Supreme court Justices being appointed against our views is our biggest threat, I believe.

As far as an AWB, Obama has stated he will try for another one. Romney has already Put on in affect in his home state. I don't trust either one, but at least Romney won't appoint liberal justices.

heeler
October 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
Those that realize the next President will be appointing one to several Supreme Court Justices understand the gravity of this coming election.

Remember Heller went 5-4.
Remember please.

Jeff H
October 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
Romney may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the RNC platform this time was pretty pro-gun worded.

This!

Supreme court Justices being appointed against our views is our biggest threat, I believe.

and this!

The NRA came out a month ago or so and had good things to say about the RNC's platform and how pro gun it was. This can only be a good thing, even if Romney is only so so. The biggest thing that worries me if Obama gets elected again is the possibility of a justice being appointed by him. That could truly be devastating to the gun community. I don't think that the current make up of congress is going to change much, so I don't think Obama would be very successful pushing any tough legislation through.

Colonel
October 4, 2012, 12:34 PM
Remember Heller went 5-4.

Remember that McDonald vs. Chicago (the other recent Second Amendment Supreme Court case) was also a 5-4 split decision.

In other words, if just one justice had voted the other way, we would have LOST.

In light of that, consider that the next president will likely get to appoint THREE new Supreme Court justices (to replace the three that will be above the age of 80 before the next president finishes his term).

To say that this presidential election will have no bearing on the 2A is to be pretty un-informed or naive, IMHO.

It could – and very likely WILL – profoundly affect the 2A for generations to come.

marine 97-03
October 4, 2012, 01:20 PM
The constitution seem clear on the 2nd amendment .....how can they refute that...

smalls
October 4, 2012, 01:27 PM
The constitution seem clear

Apparently not, people have been arguing over it for some time now.

heeler
October 4, 2012, 01:27 PM
How you ask??
Just look at the two above sited major rulings that went 5-4.

AlexanderA
October 4, 2012, 01:33 PM
Even if the makeup of the Supreme Court changes, the Heller and McDonald cases are highly unlikely to be overturned. All the Justices are big believers in precedent (stare decisis) and they don't like to make big changes too quickly. This has to do with the "institutional bias" of the Court. On the other hand, they're unlikely to extend the rationale of those cases.

Anyway, because of age and health, the next retirements are most likely to be on the liberal side. Thus, an Obama appointment would not change the overall ideological alignment on the Court.

The next big "gun rights" battles are likely to be in Congress.

tuj
October 4, 2012, 03:11 PM
Even if the makeup of the Supreme Court changes, the Heller and McDonald cases are highly unlikely to be overturned.

This is an excellent point. Look at Roe V. Wade; we've had conservative courts not want to touch that one because of the issue of judicial precedence. And as for the idea that liberals are the only ones to interpret the Constitution as a 'living document', consider that Heller essentially disregarded the entire first portion of the 2A, namely "A well regulated Militia...". Heller says no militia context is necessary for the first time ever, although Cruikshank and Presser implicitly suggested an individual right.

Not only that, but Heller suggested for the first time a 'natural right to self-defense' that is 'entangled' with the right to firearm ownership.

gfanikf
October 4, 2012, 03:15 PM
This!

and this!

The NRA came out a month ago or so and had good things to say about the RNC's platform and how pro gun it was. This can only be a good thing, even if Romney is only so so. The biggest thing that worries me if Obama gets elected again is the possibility of a justice being appointed by him. That could truly be devastating to the gun community. I don't think that the current make up of congress is going to change much, so I don't think Obama would be very successful pushing any tough legislation through.

Personally I think that unless Obama was replacing a liberal member the Senate will not take someone anti 2a. I think thats the only reason he got leeway on the last ones. For Kennedy or the others, not a chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

rodinal220
October 4, 2012, 04:06 PM
Absolutely critical.If BHO is re-elected he is going to get a shot at packing the SCOTUS with 2-3 liberal justices.This will affect gun rights for many decades.

gfanikf
October 4, 2012, 04:28 PM
Absolutely critical.If BHO is re-elected he is going to get a shot at packing the SCOTUS with 2-3 liberal justices.This will affect gun rights for many decades.

You assume that Scalia will die somehow or resign willingly. lol

Like I said with the way the Senate is positioned I don't think replacing Kennedy or a non-liberal member with a liberal Judge will be as easy or practical as it was in Obama's first two appointments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Bubbles
October 4, 2012, 04:43 PM
While Romney's record on RKBA isn't so great, I don't think that he would ever authorize a program such as Fast and Furious in an effort to use the increased cross-border trafficking as an excuse for more gun control or another AWB. I also don't think he would have signed an order requiring dealers in the border states to report multiple rifle sales to the BATFE.

Frank Ettin
October 4, 2012, 10:56 PM
Getting away from RKBA and moving into politics.

If you enjoyed reading about "How important is this next election for gun enthusiasts ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!