M1A rattle can camo

PDA

henschman
October 4, 2012, 01:38 PM
Check out my handiwork! Now she's all ready for the Pecos Run n' Gun next week.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/Springfield4.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/Springfield5.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A rattle can camo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
October 4, 2012, 02:54 PM
Good looking before pictures...
I'll await the pictures after the running and gunning. It'll have more character then :)

RPRNY
October 4, 2012, 03:03 PM
Nicely done and kudos for going at an M1A with the Krylon rattlecan. It came out well but it must take some courage to start spraying!

henschman
October 4, 2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah, we'll see how she looks after running 10k in the desert and going through all the shooting stations. Fortunately I like the well-used look!

Fishbed77
October 4, 2012, 05:16 PM
I don't think I have the balls to take a can of Krylon to a beautiful M1A.

henschman
October 4, 2012, 05:35 PM
Oh but she's so much more beautiful now!

It was easier to do on this particular rifle because the former owner had already painted it black with cerakote or something along those lines... it is an old rifle and the parkerizing was getting pretty worn in parts. Plus the stock is a newer SAI plastic stock that I had already drilled on for the comb riser and side-mount sling studs.

Someday I might sandblast her back to bare steel, re-park, and use a more durable paint over it, but this will get the job done just fine for now.

meanmrmustard
October 4, 2012, 05:52 PM
...but it will not last. Did it to a WASR of mine, and if any chemical, even CLP hits it, it's over. Touch it up, but then after awhile you're getting varying thicknesses of paint.

Upside though, it's easy to strip.:)

TexasPatriot.308
October 4, 2012, 06:10 PM
I love my M1As, but to me, walnut stocks are what make an M1A special. to each his own, but for this 58 year old ex-grunt, nostalgia I guess.

Robert101
October 4, 2012, 07:03 PM
Ok you asked........ needs more integrated black camo, AND do the scope as well as mag. Get the package completed brother. I'm just not a fan of rattle can paint on fire arms. Sorry.

AK103K
October 4, 2012, 08:01 PM
Looks like youre off to a good start. :)

I agree with Robert101 about the scope and mag.

One other thing you need to worry about now too, this quickly becomes "very" addictive, and Ill bet youre already eyeing up other stuff in the safe. :D

This is one of my last paint jobs, its my S&W M&P15T....

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc01b3127ccefc3cf976c00300000030O00CYuWbdo5bsQe3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2d834b3127ccef00b660a789600000030O00CYuWbdo5bsQe3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Driftertank
October 4, 2012, 08:09 PM
I recommend using matte clearcoat after basecoat dries on such projects. Several coats, emphasizing interface points (where hands and face commonly come in contact.

I really need to figure how to upload decent pics of the paint on my buddy's M1A

Doc Savage
October 4, 2012, 08:42 PM
I'll second the clear coat. I've gotten the addiction after painting my kid's 22s. I've used a matte clear poly, but found that a automotive clear coat spray lasted longer. Can't remember the brand I used, but it lasted much better than the stuff I got in the paint dept. (had it laying around after doing a motorcycle gas tank).

Robert

Jeff H
October 4, 2012, 10:08 PM
I don't like the M1, it was heavy, held only 8 rounds of a large heavy cartridge in a hard to change clip and bit the finger of the loader if mis-handled

Big difference between the M1 Garand and the M1A that this thread is discussing.

I don't really agree with your assessment of the M1, but that is the subject of another thread.

johnnydollar
October 4, 2012, 10:17 PM
I like it! I've got a hankering for an M1A; need one to go with my Mini-14. Those are two of the best looking semi-autos ever made.

Cal-gun Fan
October 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
So how'd the run-n-gun go?

madcratebuilder
October 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
The Krylon camo colors do fine without a clear coat, I've got about five years on this one.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/crop1-1.jpg

henschman
October 17, 2012, 11:01 AM
The Run n' Gun was awesome... great test of yourself and your equipment. Here she is after the run. How's that for more integrated black camo! :D

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/183903_10100855102080542_1428172214_n.jpg

Here's me before the run:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/224560_10100852220310632_1783130179_n.jpg

And after:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552224_10100852220385482_707205049_n.jpg

jim243
October 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Nice job on the rifle, looks good. And congrats on finding it. Nice Rifle.

Jim

WNTFW
October 17, 2012, 09:12 PM
You don't look disheveled in the least. Can you describe the event? How much run? How much Gun? Fill us in if you will.

henschman
October 17, 2012, 11:56 PM
It was about 7.5 miles of running, with a rifle plus about 80 rounds, a pistol and about 50 rounds, and water. There were 6 shooting stations... the first was a VTAC wall where you had to get a hit through each of 6 ports; then a "left right left" stage where you shoot both right handed and left around a barricade and then take a shot from behind some brush that forces you into an awkward position; then "fight your way to a rifle" stage where you set down your rifle, clear a bunch of pistol poppers, and then hit a 200 yard target with the rifle; then a "take the hill" stage where you had to get hits on 2 200 yard gongs from each of 4 positions, advancing forward down a hill; then a full distance Redcoat stage where you have to get 2 hits at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards; then a pistol/shotgun stage where they provide a shotgun and 5 shells to take down as many targets as you can, and finish the rest with pistol.

I was a lot more "disheveled" than I looked afterwards... it was pretty tough, but I couldn't think of a better time!

Rail Driver
October 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a LOT of fun! The rifle looks good, but not my taste.

WNTFW
October 18, 2012, 10:07 AM
Henschman,
I look more disheveled after eating at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I am sweating more and my shirt is dirtier. Smiling about the same as you.
Have you done the run & guns before. If not I take it the learning curve is there. I guess there is a trade off. Between speed (breathing hard) and accuracy. Did you learn a lot on what doesn't work as far as gear.
If you tire of my questions, I can quit anytime.
Looks like you enjoyed it.
Thanks for sharing.

henschman
October 22, 2012, 11:57 PM
WNTFW, I have only been to one such event before -- it was about a 2.5 mile run n' gun that a friend set up here in Oklahoma back in July, mostly with the idea of helping us get ready for Pecos (he had been last year and is the one who turned me on to it). Yes, shooting while hot, sweaty, exhausted and sore is definitely a far cry from punching paper at the range! I tried to run as much as I could between stations, but I started walking as I came up to a station to get my breathing somewhat under control. It worked fine for all the stages except for the one that was on top of a big hill... I was still out of breath by the time I got to that one, running or no!

This kind of event is also a great way to test your rig and see what works and what doesn't. Personally I just carried everything on an old ALICE pistol belt with 2 old surplus canvas M-14 mag pouches, a cheap Bladetech holster and double pistol mag carrier, and an reserve 10 round M1A mag in my back pocket. That setup worked just fine. My hybrid sling worked great -- it carried well and was very quick to loop up in to get more stable when needed. The main thing I realized from this run, other than the fact that I was not in as good of shape as I thought, is that I need to get some better boots and socks -- I had some pretty bad blisters by the end. I used some cheap work boots and just thick winter socks. I will probably get some Wellco T-180's and will definitely get some liner socks.

There was a lot of variety in gear among the other shooters. The AR-15 was by far the most popular, with good reason... they were right in their element with most targets at 100-200 yards, and only one target each at 300 and 400. I knew this going in, but still used the M1A because it is my main go-to rifle and I wanted to be sure my setup was good to go. I saw this as less of a game and more as prep for Second Amendment type situations. I may game it more next year, and run a lightweight pencil AR or something. We'll see. The other shooters were pretty evenly mixed between carrying their mags on their vests and on their belts. Neither method seemed to be definitively superior... either way you could tell who had done mag drills and who hadn't! Personally I would think a tac vest would get hot, but I guess it is personal preference.

cuda64
October 23, 2012, 01:01 AM
Man that looks good !!! I like that sling set up too what brand is that or did you just add side mounts ?

henschman
October 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
For the side mount swivels, I used uncle mike's machine screw studs and drilled holes to mount them. I fastened them with a lock nut and lock washer on the inside. The sling is one I put together myself... the front part is the front arm loop from a 1907 leather sling, and works the same way. I have a key ring through the front sling stud with the sling swivel attached to the ring. this makes it more comfortable when slung up. The rear strap is some nylon webbing from a M-16 silent sling, with a cam buckle from a GI M-14 sling to adjust with. That is where you adjust for overall length. You can cinch it up high and tight for running, like in my pics, and then it snaps right out to shooting length when you need it.

Texaszach
October 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
looks like a good time to me.
Combining 2 of my greatest interests.. guns and exercise.

Is it an actual race or is it more for fun/training?
Im pretty interested in it, I just dont personally know anyone who does this.

henschman
October 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
It is a real race... there are some pretty serious runners who compete. I did pretty decent on the shooting, but jeez, my run time was nearly half of what the 1st place finisher was!

Cal-gun Fan
October 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
Half or double?

henschman
October 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah, double... my SCORE was half.

Cal-gun Fan
October 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
Haha, gotcha :) Sounds like a really cool event though! Way to go running that 10lb rifle too. What'd you think of the optic for those distances? Was it good or did you end up wanting more magnification?

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A rattle can camo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!