Selling and shipping BP parts to Canada?

PDA

TomADC
October 4, 2012, 09:09 PM
I have a Pietta 1851 that is complete except no cylinder, a member in Nova Scotia Canada would like to buy it, anybody ever deal with something like this, I'm concerned about keeping this legal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling and shipping BP parts to Canada?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skinny 1950
October 4, 2012, 09:58 PM
In Canada reproduction handguns are restricted and the frame is the part that needs to be registered... this can only be done if the serial number is in the system already and transferred from one licensed owner to another. To import a restricted handgun (or frame) into Canada is an expensive and tedious ordeal and usually only undertaken when someone REALLY wants a gun that is not normally available in Canada.

TomADC
October 4, 2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks I was afraid of that.

Busyhands94
October 4, 2012, 10:44 PM
What part is registered on say, a Hawken rifle?

Skinny 1950
October 4, 2012, 11:32 PM
The long gun registry was recently struck down in Canada (Except in Quebec) so they don't need to be registered but you need a Possesion and Aquisition Licence (PAL) to buy one and own it. Flint lock rifles as well as wheel-lock and match-lock rifles are considered antiques even if the are of modern manufacture, cap lock rifles are non-restricted firearms if they are of modern manufacture but if they are made before 1898 they are considered antique and can be bought and sold with no restrictions except you must be at least 18 years old.
Flint-lock,wheel-lock and match-lock rifles can be imported into Canada no problem, modern cap lock rifles and cartridge rifles are not quite as difficult to import as handguns but still a steep curve to climb.
Guns that are considered Antiques on both sides of the border can move smoothly between Canada and the U.S as long as Duties are paid and everything is declared properly.

BCRider
October 6, 2012, 12:05 AM
The way I understand it is that much of the paper work is due to the ITAR limitations on export and NOT getting into Canada. And since the US does not look at black powder C&B as being controlled firearms the only issue is with the provincial CFO up our way.

You'll want to check on this with your own Customs folks to ensure that they have no issue with sending a black powder frame out of country and you'll want to get the buyer to contact our own Canadian Firearms Program folks about what papers that your buyer will need.

Now if this were a more modern cartridge gun then Skinny would be 100% right that it's more trouble than it's worth. But for BP C&B guns it really should not be that hard.

TomADC
October 6, 2012, 01:27 PM
Buyer did some checking also and we decided to nix the sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling and shipping BP parts to Canada?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!