Rem 788 stock

PDA

Muddydogs
October 5, 2012, 01:26 PM
Just getting back into big game hunting after chasing waterfowl for a few years and I forgot how heavy some of my rifles are. I really like my 788 .243 carbine but with the club of a stock on it it weights a ton. I would like to but a lighter stock on it perferable synthetic. I looked around but about all I can find is the Ram Line stock which some guys indicate weights just as much as the original. Any suggestions as to were to look? I might shorten the original stock and take a little meat off it but I am not sure I want to do that to the old girl as one day I might give it to a Grandson to hunt with and figure they should pack the heavy sucker around for a while.:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 788 stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
adelbridge
October 5, 2012, 01:58 PM
dont butcher it, they are worth more than you paid for it and going up in value. pump some iron

hardluk1
October 5, 2012, 07:53 PM
You can get a stock from mcmillian -remington classic for it or get a ram-line 97 dollar stock. You can also buy a great looking Boyds laminate stock in ether a classic or thumbhole design. Cut some off a add a good simms recoil pad for you or the kid. I have hunted with mine since 1978 and never felt it was heavy. Buy your self a Boonie Packer Safari Sling and you can carry it across your chest , hands free and ready to simply lift and fire. Great sling. I also haul a 10lb 8oz heavy hunter around. That does get heavy. My 20" 788 .308 in its OEM wood stock with a weaver mounts and old long 2.5-10 scope weights 7lb 14oz. I did cut 1 1/8th " off the stock and added a decelerateor recoil pad years back.

jmr40
October 5, 2012, 08:14 PM
I know McMillan will build one for you. www.mcmfamily.com There may be some of the other high end manufacturers that will as well. All of the cheaper synthetics such as Ramline will weigh more than wood.

I wouldn't fool with it. To get anything lighter than what you have will cost more than the rifle is worth. A standard fill McMillan will save you no weight. You'd have to go with one of the Kevlar Edge stocks @ around $600 to see any weight savings.

For less than the cost of the stock you can buy a new rifle, or 2, designed from the ground up to be lighter.

Don't get me wrong, I own 3 McMillan Edge stocks. They are great, but I wouldn't go to the expense to put one on THIS rifle.

Bushpilot
October 6, 2012, 11:26 AM
All of the cheaper synthetics such as Ramline will weigh more than wood.

The Ramline stock won't weigh more than most types of wood. The problem with the Ramline is that they are noisy and not very rigid.

hardluk1
October 6, 2012, 01:26 PM
If to heavy for the OP go buy a rem model 7, a savage youth or ladys version and rugers ultra lite and have a 6lb or less rilfe but it will more than likely still scope out around 7lbs +. If 1lb makes a difference ther you go. Buy the safari sing and carry hands free.

dprice3844444
October 6, 2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-554/Tundra-Deluxe-Thumbhole-Stocks/Detail
http://www.mpistocks.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 788 stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!