Remington model 5

PDA

saenzrich
October 5, 2012, 10:02 PM
What are your honest opinions on this rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=307606935

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington model 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bhk
October 6, 2012, 12:36 PM
These are wonderful rifles and one of the best bargains out there. They are all steel and walnut, not an ounce of plastic or aluminium anywhere. I bought one for my adult son, and we have been very impressed with its accuracy and its workmanship..

W L Johnson
October 6, 2012, 04:33 PM
Bought one a while back, good shooter and IMHO a beautiful rifle. They're basically a rebranded Zastava MP22R. The barrel and action is/was made by Zastava in Serbia, but the stock on the Rem 5 is American and much nicer than what you find on the MP22R
Don't think Remington is doing this model anymore but you can still find new Zastavas for sale.

chicharrones
October 6, 2012, 06:16 PM
I have a Remington Model 5 (.22 LR) and a recently made Zastava MP22 (.22 WMR). The Remington version is a bit better finished and the Remington version comes with a much nicer stock. Both are very accurate for having thin sporter barrels. The barrel where it mounts to the receiver is thick and the receiver is thickly built too.

Accuracy I've personally seen is as good as sub 5/8" at 50 yards with many ammo types whether .22 LR or .22 WMR. Other shooters have gotten smaller groups than that over at Rimfire Central with those guns.

The triggers are adjustable for pre-travel and weight. They can be tuned easily with the stock removed.

Spare mags are pretty cheap at Cabelas for the .22LR versions. http://www.cabelas.com/magazines-clips-eaa-factory-magazine.shtml

I'd get that rifle if you want a classic styled, all steel and wood rimfire rifle. It comes with open sights for gawd sakes. Less and less rimfire guns are made like the Remington/Zastava.

saenzrich
October 6, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I did win the auction at the time it didn't seem to bad a price and the gun appeared to be in great condition so I called the seller and had him walk and physically look over the rifle and he told me about just a couple small nicks so I am pleased...even with a cheap transfer...hope I did ok...sounds like a great rifle to add to my .22lrs

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington model 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!