Advice on FN TPS Purchase

PDA

Granth3w
October 6, 2012, 03:03 AM
I have been looking for a new shotgun, and was pretty much set on a Mossberg 500 or 590A1, but I recently came across an FN TPS in perfect condition with AR style sights with the collapsible stock that I can get for 450.00. Do you guys think this is a fair price? If I ended up not liking it, would reselling it for approximately the same amount be realistic?

Reliability-wise, how do these compare to Mossbergs and Remingtons?

Also, I can't find any information regarding this, but are these not being produced anymore? They are not listed on FN's website and nobody has any listed, so I'm not sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice on FN TPS Purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XTrooper
October 6, 2012, 08:23 AM
The FN TPS is basically an upgraded Winchester 1300 so you don't need to concern yourself about its reliability as these shotguns are still highly regarded today.

It and the Winchester 1300 are no longer manufactured.

Regarding value, it's a fine shotgun and is no doubt worth every bit of $450 in the condition you describe, probably more.

XTrooper
October 6, 2012, 08:28 AM
Here's a good GunWeek article on the TPS from 2004 that I found on the 'net.

http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0201.html

Fred Fuller
October 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
I bought one of the FN Police Pumps that came out at the same time. The Police Pump was the economy version, with a conventional stock and rifle type sights mounted on the barrel. I've been very pleased with it, it's had enough rounds through it to indicate it works like any Win 1300. Short of abuse or a freakish parts breakage I can't see where you should expect any problems out of it. As to price, I don't know...

Granth3w
October 6, 2012, 12:09 PM
XTrooper, thanks for the information. I had seen that link before when searching via google. However, it's one of the few things I found. Thanks for the opinion on price. I was also thinking it was a pretty solid price, as well.

Fred Fuller, your opinion seems to coincide with the others that I have found, so that is reassuring. Do you know if many of the parts are interchangeable with Wnichester 1300 parts? Especially in regards to stocks and forends? It seems like they would be usable and I've searched and found things that lead me to believe that they are, but I would just like some confirmation, if you knew.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice on FN TPS Purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!