Primer only

PDA

jeff-portnoy
October 6, 2012, 04:57 AM
Hi guys.
Please, tell me what happens if load primer only in 9x19 cartridge? (115,125gr bullet)
I mean how much f.p.s , pressure, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer only" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bds
October 6, 2012, 05:15 AM
For me in 9mm (also for 40S&W/45ACP), regardless whether 115/124/125 gr bullets, primer only resulted in squib loads where the bullet was stuck in the barrel right by the chamber or a little down the barrel depending on the bullet type. So, zero fps as the bullet never exited the barrel.

But primer can propel glue stick bullets enough to punch through card board boxes. :D

Glue stick 45ACP bullets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Px6Vz8tt8

Glue stick bullets using bullet molds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwv8sZxdtc

james layman
October 6, 2012, 05:31 AM
From my experience, I would not try it. I saw a 6.5 Jap rifle bullet that got stuck in the barrel. James

FROGO207
October 6, 2012, 08:48 AM
As I have moved through the reloading experience I find that the primer alone with glue sticks, various plastic/rubber, and wooden bullets that do not take the force to engrave the rifling and overcome the bore friction MAY work with just a primer but I have had zero success with that happening when using lead or jacketed bullets. If you try it yourself plan on driving a lot of bullets out of the barrel before you give up.:) I do however load light loads that will just exit the barrel with minimal velocity and stick in a couple layers of cardboard sometimes though this light of a load is not always predictable either.

Walkalong
October 6, 2012, 09:54 AM
A primer only will not propel any normal lead, plated, or jacketed bullet through the barrel.

Certaindeaf
October 6, 2012, 10:07 AM
Certain primers MAY make a lubed pure lead ball leave the barrel with varying levels of "performance". It all depends..
If you try it, check your bore after each shot and make sure you have a good rod and mallet handy.

rsrocket1
October 6, 2012, 10:27 AM
One primer only bullet got out of my 4" Ruger Service Six. A 158g LRN Silver State Hardcast. 231 fps.

Have had a couple of my own cast Lee 158g RNF fire with a primer only. They got stuck in the forcing cone. A couple of taps with a brass rod and hammer put it back into the cylinder and back into the case (you have to drive it back out from the front end unlike an autoloader). No harm, no foul.

I do shoot glue stick bullets with primers. You need to lube them and seat them at the bottom of the case. They come out pretty fast and will go right through a cardboard box :). If you are going to try primer only, be sure to do it outdoors, the smoke is filled with lead from the Lead Styphnate primer compound.

Certaindeaf
October 6, 2012, 10:42 AM
I used to use paraffin and those Speer? plastic slugs. pretty fun for whacking stuff

mdi
October 6, 2012, 02:16 PM
I don't recommend it, but, some have been known to slug their barrel using primer only loads. "Fire" the bullet up into the bbl, and drive it back out. Measure for groove diameter...

45lcshooter
October 6, 2012, 06:29 PM
I never heard of glue stick bullet. Any real use for it? Other than non lethal gun fire, or tick of the neighbors?

tightgroup tiger
October 6, 2012, 07:46 PM
possums don't like them either.

W.E.G.
October 6, 2012, 07:48 PM
Does the person who put you up to this also let the air out of your tires and pour water on your front porch in freezing weather?

gamestalker
October 6, 2012, 08:16 PM
I tried using s primer only in my G17 way back in the 1980's and all they did was stick the bullet in the barrel. But I did come up with some good wax / tissue paper loads using just primers in 38 spcl that were fun to goof off with. And back in the 1960's I used to pull bullets from 22 lr and then dump the powdder out then stuff them with waxed Q tip ends. Those were a ton of fun to shoot in my house at a card board box target.

GS

kingcheese
October 7, 2012, 10:48 PM
I tried it in a nagant revolver with 17g plastic bullets, got stuck on the barrel

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer only" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!