Reloading for the .357 Remington Maximum

PDA

Clayton86
October 6, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hello all my father in law has a old contender in the .357 Rem Max and cant find ammo for it anymore and is too stubborn to start reloading again he says its to much work in his old age lol. He always talks about how great it was on deer back in the day and wishes he could get some loads for it again. So iv decided to work up some loads for it for him so we can end the complaining we here every fall when he has to load regular 357mag ammo into it.

So anybody on here have any good loads for this I couldn't find much online on it he already has over 200 spent casings and 7 full boxes of unopened bullets in different grain and design. He has everything to do it but the motivation so I'm gonna do it for him. Plus I have incentive because I get the pistol from him in a few years he said plus I can reload some of my .243 brass well I'm at it instead of paying a buddy to do it for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for the .357 Remington Maximum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluetopper
October 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
What weight bullet you got? I have 357 Max info in front of me specifically for the Contender.

What powder do you want to use, I have info for 2400,RX-7, IMR-4227, and H-110?

NCsmitty
October 6, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have a 10" Contender barrel that I have not shot in a couple years, but it is a wonderful caliber. I have used several loads over the years, and have settled on the Hornady 180gr Single Shot Pistol bullet over 23-24gr of Rel-7 powder. IIRC, runs around 1500-1550 FPS, and very accurate. H110/Win296 may give more velocity, but needs magnum primers to light the ball powder. I also have some IMR4227, but never tried it.
It's quite accurate with a wide variety of loads, and a potent load for deer within it's range.

Here's a couple sites with data.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage_handgun.asp?CaliberID=31

www.hodgdon.com

NCsmitty

Clayton86
October 6, 2012, 12:16 PM
I know he has 158gr and 180? I think it was he has a stack of bullets down stairs in the shop where we do all our gun cleaning and repairs. He hasnt loaded for it since the early 90s that was the last time any of his reloading equipment has been used its all there but I'm going to buy new powder and dispose of his old stuff. I'm not sure exactly what bullets he has or what powder I'm going to use I'm currently deployed right now and this is something I'm going to do for him when i get back in a few months well "relaxing" after being here for a year and by relaxing I mean tinkering with guns and ice fishing lol. I think I remember him saying he really misses a 158gr hornady load he had he always says "it would just fold a deer right then and there even threw both shoulder blades just hammers them"

NCsmitty
October 6, 2012, 12:32 PM
You be safe young man, and you can "relax" to your heart's content when you get back. Good times are waiting for you. Thank you for your service, and don't forget to vote in November.

NCsmitty

Clayton86
October 6, 2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks, I'm plenty safe here we got mobed to go to Afghanistan then last minute ended up in Kuwait and that's where iv been since last January with a few short trips into other country's and Germany which was a blast. I should be state side in roughly 2.5 months I cant wait I miss my sons and cant stand being here doing this line of work as an infantryman but from a family man stand point I am glad because my boys don't have to worry about me not coming home but as a Infantry guy I wanna be out in the front line.

steveno
October 6, 2012, 01:17 PM
as long as you are using a TC shoot any bullet weight you want however the 125 & 140 grain bullets will be overstressed by a lot. they do however make a real mess on prairie dogs. if you are going deer hunting I would use a 180 grain. I had good luck with the Speer 180 grain soft point rifle bullet. I don't remember the bullet number. at one time Hornady made a 180 grain bullet for use in the TC but I'm not sure if they still make it.

bluetopper
October 6, 2012, 02:01 PM
From Lyman's Pistol & Revolver Handbook:

357 Maximum

158gr jacketed
2400....... 17.2gr
RX-7....... 24.5gr
4227........ 20.0gr
H-110....... 20.5gr

180gr jacketed
2400...... 15.2gr
RX-7..... 21.3gr
4227..... 17.0gr
H-110..... 18.0gr

All these are max loads and are designed for the Thompson Contender & Encore.

Use them if you trust some right wing guy on the internet who clings to his guns and religion.........:)

CZ57
October 6, 2012, 11:47 PM
Good data here: www.ramshot.com Enforcer is an excellent and overlooked powder because it is newer on the market. ;)

Fatelvis
October 7, 2012, 11:44 AM
After much experimentation, I have found that 18.0 grns of IMR4227, under a Horn 180 XTP, and set off by a Rem 7 1/2 primer, were most accurate in both my 12" T/C Contender and DW 8" Revolver. Crimp in the lower cannelure, making the cartridge OAL longest. Good luck!

ArchAngelCD
October 8, 2012, 06:53 AM
There is plenty of data on the Hodgdon Load Data Site (http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp).

You be safe out there and come home safely...

SASS#23149
October 8, 2012, 12:01 PM
I just acquired a 14" G1 in .357 Maximum,and what a hoot to shoot !
since I have a bunch of 2400 powder on hand,that is what I am using.
at 80 yards,the 158 grain bullets outperformed the 180's that I had,on that day at that temp,etc etc

one thing i've discovered is that load data is all over the place for that caliber,so i'm staying on the low to mid range settings,and it's plenty of recoil and power for plinking.

btw,125 jhp's did very poorly for me.

Peter M. Eick
October 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
http://eickpm.com/picts/max_brass.jpg

No, I don't like the 357 Maximum at all. Never heard of it.....

I load on 4227 with heavy bullets in mine. I try not to load less then a 180 grn lead for my 3 maxes. Great round and a lot of fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for the .357 Remington Maximum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!