Savage 11 stock reassembly

PDA

quaid
October 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have a savage model 11 that used to shoot sub-moa. After taking it out of the stock, I can't seem to put it back together and get the same accuracy out of it.

It has three screws entering from the bottom of the stock. The forward most is near to the recoil lug and is a machine screw. The middle screw is also a machine screw, it goes through the plastic trigger guard at the back of the action. The third screw is actually a wood screw, which goes through the rear of the plastic trigger guard and into the wood of the stock.

When I torque the forward most screw down it prevents the bolt from closing all the way. The screws are different lengths however and cannot be swapped.

What am I doing wrong?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 11 stock reassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chawbaccer
October 6, 2012, 07:52 PM
Try floating the barrel. Put a thickness or two of ammo box or business card under the receiver. I think you might of overtightened the front screw and compressed the stock. Just snug it up a bit at a time.

Also you might want this moved to gun smithing forum.

quaid
October 6, 2012, 08:45 PM
The forward most screw goes into a grommet that has been set in the wood. Assuming that the stock has compressed, and the business card space trick fixes it, does this mean it is time to replace the stock? The business card trick sounds like a temporary fix.

Mobuck
October 6, 2012, 08:50 PM
The reason the bolt won't close is the front screw is impinging in the bolt recess. Shortening the front screw by a thread or two may solve the problem.

wild willy
October 6, 2012, 08:52 PM
You can stone or file some off the front screw.You are not the first person to have a Savage with an action screw a little long.The locking lug is hitting it thats why the bolt won't close.

Chawbaccer
October 6, 2012, 09:00 PM
If the card trick works, you can sand down the barrel channel to get the same results or re-bed the action with Acraglas. You don't have to replace the stock. As others mentioned, shorten the screw and just don't tighten it up so much.

WYcoyote
October 6, 2012, 09:53 PM
Your front screw is bottoming out on the bolt.
As stated, cut it back a 1/16" or so.
Problem solved and it should shoot again, maybe better than the 1st time.

arizona98tj
October 6, 2012, 11:40 PM
Over on the Savage Shooters forum, you can most likely find the torque specs and proper sequence for tightening. (I did for my Savage.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 11 stock reassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!