Anyone else going back to the 9mm??

PDA

NYH1
October 7, 2012, 04:18 AM
I bought my G22 (40 S&W) new back in 1999. A few years latter I bought a Glock factory G31 357 Sig barrel for it and carried and shot it as a 357 Sig for a while. Then I bought a Lone Wolf Distributors 9mm Conversion Barrel for it. That was my first experience with a 9mm Glock. Being that it wasn't a stock Glock setup I never carried it. I just shot it at the range. I really started to like the 9mm in a Glock though.

Last year I bought a new Gen. 3 G34 9mm. I love it. I bought a nice holster for it and carry it at camp quite a bit. The more I shoot the 9mm the more I really like it. So much so that last month I made a deal with my dealer for something I don't use anymore and my G27 (40 S&W) for a new G26, some ammo, an extra magazine, a case and he gave me some cash.

Just as my G34.....my G26 is awesome. I shot my G27 very well. But I shoot the G26 a lot better. I had to put the magazine extensions on my magazines as I did with my G27 so I can get my pinky finger on the grip all the way. I know the 9mm has less recoil so obviously rapid fire is easier. I didn't think it made that much of a difference though. Not only can I shoot my 9mm pistols faster then I can my 40 S&W pistols, they seem to be more accurate as well. I shoot really tight groups with them.

I put Trijicon Night Sights on all my Glock's that see night carry. My G34 shoots Federal HST 124 +P ammo the best. I'm going to put a 100 plus rounds of them through my G26 and see how it shoots them. Hopefully it shoots them well. My G22 and G27 shot Remington Golden Sabers 165 gr. and Federal HST 165 gr. pretty much the same so it worked out well having both of them shoot the same ammo.

I feel just as comfortable with how well I shoot my 9mm's as I did with my bigger 40 S&W's. That with todays good ammo, I'm confident my 9mm's will serve me just as well as my 40 S&W's did/do, if not better. I'm not getting rid of my G22, but I really think I need a Gen. 3 G19.....soon! Anyone else going back to the 9mm??

NYH1. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else going back to the 9mm??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bds
October 7, 2012, 04:29 AM
I went from G17/G19/G26 to G22/G23/G27. I run Lone Wolf/KKM 40-9 conversion barrels and recently sold the last 9mm Glock (G17).

I do enjoy shooting 9mm rounds in G22/G23/G27, even +P rounds but won't be going back to 9mm pistols when I have the best of both worlds and 40S&W is my match caliber.

If you shot several thousand rounds through your 40 caliber Glocks, consider replacing the recoil spring assembly (RSA) (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/355643/glock-guide-rod-and-recoil-spring-assembly-glock-17-22-24-31-34-35-37). With new OEM RSA, snappy recoil becomes more pleasant.

jim243
October 7, 2012, 05:59 AM

Yes from FNP-40 USG 40 S&W to 9mm CZ 75 P-01. No issues about stopping power at all.

Jim

MikePaiN
October 7, 2012, 07:43 AM
I consolidated to 9mm in all my centerfire hand guns some time ago.
but I still shoot plenty of .22 ...... :)

Jed Carter
October 7, 2012, 08:17 AM
NYH1, you should bring that G34 to a USPSA, GSSF, IDPA or Steel Challenge match, to really enjoy the "beauty" of it. 9mm was not my favorite round until I bought a G34 Gen 3 in Nov 2008, it is now. I had one 9mm pistol a S&W model 59, really did not shoot it very well, so I didn't. I own 6 9mm pistols now, including 2 1911s, my personal favorite is an STI 1911. In a few minutes I will be leaving the house for a USPSA match with my trusty G34, later in the month I will shoot my first Glock Sport Shooting Foundation, GSSF match with both a G34 and a G17. In centerfire 9mm is not my only caliber but it is my favorite. In centerfire I am down to (almost) 2 types, Glock pistols and 1911s, just a few others now. I do have one .40S&W a G35, heavily modified to shoot in USPSA Limited/Limited 10 division. New to me yesterday (I had a Glock coupon) I got a LE priced G20 SF 10mm, might take it to the GSSF match and shoot it too.

Esoxchaser
October 7, 2012, 09:00 AM
Yes, I have changed to pretty much all 9mm, other than the rimfire squirrel and plinking guns. Reliable and very ergonomic guns like the Springfield EMP, Sig P938, with which I can dump a magazine on target in very short order have done their part to convince me I don't need the big bores as badly as I once thought.

JDGray
October 7, 2012, 09:26 AM
Since I reload, I still like a variety of calibers. I tried the 9mm consolidation route once and it got boring. I do shoot more 9mm then any other caliber, but still enjoy my 45, 40s, 357s on occasion. My G35 is one of my favorite pistols, and I have a 9mm conversion for it as well, best Glock ever in my opinion;) As accurate as the G35 is, nothing compares to the CZ40B I picked up! The reason I got back into 40S&W was the trigger on this thing, best factory trigger on any pistol I have ever felt, but had to buy all my 40cal reloading equipment again to shoot it! You may like 9mm the best, but some guns only come in bigger calibers:cool:

Kahr33556
October 7, 2012, 09:51 AM
Yes with todays +p and +p+ ammo the 9 is very close to a 40 in energy and you get an extra round.
Target ammo is cheaper.
Plus the new 9's are pretty small.

tuj
October 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
I like the 9mm because its very controllable for my small-framed wife when coupled with a steel frame full size pistol. And I trust the modern ammo to do the job, and if not, I've got 16 more rounds that hopefully will help.

Onmilo
October 7, 2012, 11:25 AM
I never left the 9mm. I still consider the caliber and the .45acp to be the BEST semi auto handgun cartridges ever developed.
The only thing better is the 10mm and the selection of available handguns is weak.

WinThePennant
October 7, 2012, 12:10 PM
The 9mm is the perfect all-purpose round.

New tech expanding rounds give it plenty of stopping power.

Want to shoot it with a suppressor? Load up with the 147 sub-sonic rounds.

Love my Glock 9mms!

MistWolf
October 7, 2012, 12:23 PM
I have never owned a 9mm until this last year when I bought a PPQ. The PPQ is the first 9mm to have the features I wanted with none that I didn't

wbwanzer
October 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
Never left. :D

Certaindeaf
October 7, 2012, 12:37 PM
I think .22, 9mm, .357 and .44 magnum are all I, personally, need for handgun calibers.

C0untZer0
October 7, 2012, 12:40 PM
I'm getting a Rohrbaugh R9

Length:5.2"
Height:3.7"
Weight:13.5 oz
Capacity:6+1 Rounds

Can't get that in a 40 S&W

kokapelli
October 7, 2012, 12:43 PM
Put me down as another never "left" 9mm.

KenW.
October 7, 2012, 12:46 PM
I started my L.E. career carrying a 1911. After 10 years I switched to the XD compact 45, then the XDm40 compact. Now I carry the XD9 subcompact most often.

I shoot the 9 most because of the lower cost. It's easier to use the 9mm to practice since it has the same manual of arms as the 40. I stay qualified on all the XD pistols and rotate between them.

But, my off-duty gun is a J-Frame Chief's Special.

Certaindeaf
October 7, 2012, 12:53 PM
First gun I ever bought was a target sighted Browning Hi-Power almost 35 years ago.

Never left either.

steveb4c
October 7, 2012, 01:08 PM
3 of the 5 auto's i own are 9mm, i never warmed up to the .40, just didn't want to stock up on .40 ammo when price was so close to .45 ammo. for me it's a 9mm or .45

mavracer
October 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
Another vote for never left. The 40 was and always will be a answer to a question I didn't ask.

Pilot
October 7, 2012, 01:21 PM
Never left x illeventy billion. I saw no need to follow the .40 fad as I had plenty of hi cap (standard cap) 9MM's, and can shoot them well. If I want to shoot a caliber with a 4 in front of it, I get out one of my .45's.

Derek Zeanah
October 7, 2012, 01:55 PM
I never left the 9mm. I still consider the caliber and the .45acp to be the BEST semi auto handgun cartridges ever developed.
The only thing better is the 10mm and the selection of available handguns is weak.
It's hard to disagree with this. I carry a .45 ACP, primarily due to my affection for the 1911 platform. I own one in 9mm, but it's built to be a competition gun and doesn't carry well.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 9mm using a modern hollowpoint, and there are some strong arguments in favor of it versus something larger (capacity and speed primarily). Of course, I don't feel undergunned with 9 rounds of .45 ACP either, and I wouldn't even if I were limited to FMJ ammunition. A .72 inch hole from a hollowpoint is compelling, but so is a 0.45" hole.

340PD
October 7, 2012, 02:12 PM
Five years ago I sold a W.German Sig 226 to a friend. It was the last 9mm I owned. A co-worker let me shoot his Kahr PM9. I now own one, along with a M&P Shield, and I just bought back my Sig from the man I sold it to. 9mm, I guess I am here to stay.

bannockburn
October 7, 2012, 02:17 PM
Never left so there isn't really anything to come back to. I have more 9mm. guns than any other caliber in my collection.

Anothermiller
October 7, 2012, 02:20 PM
Have a G17 that just sets in the nightstand,havent shot it in years.

I like the 40 better as well.

DesertFox
October 7, 2012, 02:40 PM
Although I never completely left the 9mm, my interest in 10mm caused me to jettison several of my initial 9mm purchases. I reload so I'm in deep - 9mm, 10mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag. Over the last couple of years, I got into some C&R 9mm Mak types. Then I felt the need for a 1911 in 9mm and realized that with a bazzillion pieces of 9mm brass lying around, it made sense to start back that direction. I even bought a (gasp), S&W Sigma in 9mm.

I have my wife setup with a Camp 9 carbine and S&W 5906 combo, which share magazines. 6 30 rounders that will go in either... Plenty of firepower for the little lady, one caliber, interchangeable mags.

One of the big reasons driving me back to smaller calibers is knowing that muzzle flash kills your night vision and I'd really prefer to be able to see my target in dim lighting for follow up shots.

Inebriated
October 7, 2012, 02:47 PM
I don't like 9mm that much, but I carry it daily.

Might switch to .357 Sig or .45 ACP one day, but as of now, I have no reason to. My 26 is flawless, and I can practice with it a couple times a week and not go broke.

Rexster
October 7, 2012, 05:50 PM
In a very roundabout way, I have returned to 9mm, twice, but neither time was exclusively to 9mm. My first time with 9mm was in 1984-1985, with a pair of HK P7 pistols, for police duty and concealed carry. To conform to PD uniform policy, I had a flap holster made locally. Yes, I said flap holster, very old-school. When my employer went to open-top retention holsters, no such rig existed for the P7. I could have kept using the flap holster, but the retention holster was actually much quicker from which to draw, so I reverted to a sixgun for duty, and subsequently sold most of my firearms during a financial squeeze. I also had an Uzi Carbine at the time. So, finances caused my first 9mm weapons to go away.

My first return to 9mm was with Third Generation S&W pistols, a 3913 and 3953, in the
1990s. I preferred the 3953's DAO, and sold the 3913. I soon added a Kahr 9mm. A close friend has the 3953, for as long as she wants to keep it. These 9mm pistols were used for concealed carry, as I
mostly used revolvers for duty during this time. I soon entered an all-1911 phase, in 1997, for duty
and carry. I eventually traded the K9.

My second return to 9mm happened in July 2012, for orthopedic reasons. My employer has been all-.40 for duty pistols for some time, but the firearms training unit sent a proposal to the chief that 9mm be authorized as an alternative duty pistol cartridge, along with the 9mm counterparts of the current .40 duty pistols. The snappy .40 recoil, combined with the high bore axis of the SIG P229, has recently started to really hurt my aging, aiing right wrist*. I recall .40 Glocks kicking less than the .40 SIG, so I figured I would move to a gentler weapon and a gentler cartridge in one move, and bought a G17.

Well, the chief did not sign the proposal, but I still have the G17. I will still have to use .40 at work, at least until such time as the 9mm proposal may be signed into policy. I still like my revolvers for much concealed carry, and I still favor an all-steel .45 ACP 1911 at times.
Notably, the more gentler-accelerating .45 ACP, fired from an all-steel 1911, does not hurt my wrist, which is why I brought my Les Baer TRS out of a five-year hibernation.

I may well start using a 9mm conversion barrel in my P229 for training, to lessen recoil damage to my wrist. Of course, on duty, the .40 is mandated.

As for the ability of the 9mm to stop bad guys, I feel the difference between the leading service cartridges, in premium, controlled-expansion JHP form, is minimal. From .38 +P and 9mm +P up to .45 ACP, I am, or would be, comfortable enough carrying on the street. The .357 Magnum, in its full-pressure loads, may have a bit of an edge, and when I carry a GP100, it is because of that edge.

To be clear, I do not hate the .40, and liked it before it was mandated in my duty pistols. I tried an S&W Shorty Forty back in its day, and .40 Browning Hi-Powers. Neither proved to be my cup of tea, but the cartrtridge was not at fault.

*The kick of the .40 in the P229 not hurts my right wrist when shooting right-handed, but also when shooting left-handed, when I use the modern thumb-forward support hand technique. It IS good, of course, to be functionally ambidextrous, but the snappy .40 gets me either way.

tackleberry45
October 7, 2012, 05:56 PM
Nope, stayin .45. I have .22s I train with for technique. Nothing against 9mm, just stayin .45

jimbo555
October 7, 2012, 06:07 PM
I went back to the 9mmshort,just bought a sig p238!

dondavis3
October 7, 2012, 07:15 PM
I've already switched.

My favorite round is the .45

But if you are at all price sensitive and if you shoot very often

The difference in the cost of .45 vs. 9mm ammo is about double. ie $20 a box vs $10 a box.

It varies a little dependending on store sales and where you buy it.

But if you shoot often (I do) and you shoot, lets say, 200 rounds per month (I shoot a lot more) - 4 boxes .45 ammo = $80

4 boxes of 9 mm = $40

Shoot that and more each month and

you can save enough money on ammo to buy yourself another gun every year.

Heres a interesting link to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scizGbJLnu4&feature=player_embedded

I'm just sayin'

:cool:

XTrooper
October 7, 2012, 07:30 PM
No. I shoot the .40 S&W very well, the recoil for me is a non-issue, and I currently have on hand 3000+ rounds of the stuff. I'm not switching to anything! :D

Plan2Live
October 7, 2012, 09:09 PM
With the exception of a .22 semi auto (probably the Walther P22) as a training gun for new shooters, all of the guns on my current short list are 9mm. But I still like my Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 Compact in .40 very much and will never part with it. I now shoot it as well as I shoot my Sig 239. My 1986 vintage S&W 459 is and has always been my nightstand gun. The only way I would replace it as my nightstand gun is if I ever find a similar model with a rail, but that is not on my shortlist at the moment.

I really like the idea of the 5906 and the Camp Carbine as a combo package. I'm sorry I never acquired that pair while they were readily available and affordable.

BearGriz
October 8, 2012, 10:23 AM
I echo what a few others have said: I never left! All my research convinces me that it is a good round and a good price.

Those are facts. Now whether it is better than another cartridge in any given situation is all theoretical until that exact situation plays out. I just know that the price, accuracy, recoil, capacity, an size all fit my desires.

Teachu2
October 8, 2012, 01:57 PM
In 35+ years of pistol shooting, I'd never owned a 9mm. When I started, I shot wheelguns and 1911s, with a little bit of .22LR for fun. The 9mm SD ammo of the day left a lot to be desired, so I steered clear of it.

Early this year, I decided I wanted a 9mm range gun, and my first poly frame as well. I now have a G34 (what a sweet range pistol), a LC9, a 2022, and a M&P 9c. Shot my first GSSF Indoor matches this summer, and took 1st in Stock class, four points behind the 1st place Unlimited average.

I still enjoy shooting .45acp, but it's hard to fault today's 9mm. If California didn't have the mag limits, I'd probably carry a G19 insteadof a G30.

JoeMal
October 8, 2012, 02:18 PM
I never left

NYH1
October 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I shot my G26 yesterday with my carry ammo (Federal HST 124 gr. +p).....WOW, you want to talk about accurate! I was very impressed. It's going to make a really nice carry pistol. I'm glad I made the trade.

I don't dislike the 40 S&W. I don't know if I came across like that. I just found that the more I shoot the 9mm the more I like it. My G22 isn't going anywhere. 12K, 13K rounds through it without any issues of any kind, it's a keeper. I also have a Smith & Wesson SW1911 45 ACP. It's the basic stainless steel model. It's my first 1911 and 45 ACP. I really like it, not as much as my 11 year old son though, he loves it! I've often considered getting a 1911 in 9mm. Maybe after I get my G19 and the Smith & Wesson 629 Classic 5" 44 mag. I've wanted one of those for 20 years, just never got one lol.

NYH1.

GlackAttack
October 8, 2012, 04:34 PM
never left.
ruger SR9c
glock 34
Kahr PM 9
I've been thinking about getting A G29 10 MM for those times I'd like a little more stopping power. Pretty unnecessary for my lifestyle, I'd like a "subcompact" glock though.

GLOOB
October 8, 2012, 04:58 PM
I have both, and don't plan to get rid of either. Caliber is secondary to platform, for me. If I get rid of a caliber, it'll be because I don't care for the guns I own in that caliber, anymore. Right now, I have at least one sweet shooting 9mm and 40SW that I don't plan to sell.

I didn't warm up to the G27 so much and converted it to 9mm. I guess you could call that a caliber issue. I consider it more of a platform issue for me, since sub par reliability and/or durability of recoil spring over a spectrum of loads and shooting stances (one-handed/weak-handed) was my main problem with it.

el Godfather
October 8, 2012, 05:12 PM
There just isnt anything wrong with 9mm. Ever been shot with one?

I am a .45 person in general, but some guns that I own in 9mm are unbelievably good. Like my H&K P30 and 226 Elite. In vehicle i have H&K USP 45 and Mark 23, along-with an H&K MP5-k.

Its never about the caliber with me. I choose my guns according to need, situation, circumstances and ergonomically appropriate to the occasion.

LeonCarr
October 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
Flame suit on.

With today's modern JHP ammunition, and with 9mm ammunition available in +P and +P+, the performance difference between 9mm, .40, and .45 in gelatin tests and documented gunfights is negligible.

I currently carry a 9mm, but have carried the .40 and .45.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Black Butte
October 8, 2012, 06:19 PM
I love how easy it is to do caliber conversions on Glocks. I stay away from Lone Wolf barrels though. I like to keep my dollars in-country (as opposed to Korea), and I think the Lone-Wolf graphic is cheesy.

Pukindog12
October 8, 2012, 07:21 PM
I didn't ever leave. As soon as I got over my preconceived notions of the 9mm and found out what an excellent caliber it was I went nuts. I now have six semi-autos in 9mm and am looking for a seventh. As far as I can foresee the 9mm can/will handle anything I envision happening. And if not and I foresee I may need more oomph I have my S&W 686. ;)

HKGuns
October 9, 2012, 11:45 AM
Never left and never owned a 40. But I own a variety of calibers when you include revolvers. 9 & 45 have always covered my needs in the auto side of the house.

Fiv3r
October 9, 2012, 11:59 AM
I walked my way back to 9mm after my daughter was born. Kids just take a LOT of money:D I could plink with 9mm for about half the cost of my .45 and a box of ammo with current cutting edge bullet design could keep me well defended.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the .45. I also love shooting .357, .38 special, and gobs of black powder not to mention half a dozen different rifle calibers. I just find the 9mm to be a practical round for me these days. Plenty of oomph using the right ammo, cost effective to practice with on a regular basis, and easy to find on the shelves.

History.Doc
October 9, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm keeping my 1911 but all of my other autoloaders are 9mm or 22lr. Just works better for me.

siglite
October 9, 2012, 12:55 PM
I went from .45 back to 9mm about a year ago. Mob attacks popping up in cities all over the country were the motivation to be walking around with a LOT of ammunition.

Fiv3r
October 9, 2012, 07:24 PM
I went from .45 back to 9mm about a year ago. Mob attacks popping up in cities all over the country were the motivation to be walking around with a LOT of ammunition.
That's actually one of the reasons I went UP to 9mm for my carry piece. I went from full size .45 down to .380 for carry comfort. A rash of smash and grab morning robberies in actually nice parts of town prompted me to lose a little confidence in 7 rounds of .380. Moving up to 10+1 of 9mm makes me feel a lot better, and I can shoot my Glock much better than my LCP.

WinThePennant
October 9, 2012, 10:27 PM
Glock 26 for carry.

Spare mags = Glock 19 mags.

Sigokat
October 9, 2012, 11:00 PM
I love 9mm. All I own are .45 auto and 9mm.

ku4hx
October 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
I've never left any cartridge, just chose the best one/preferred one for the job at hand. I like the 9mm. I like the 40 cal. I like the 45 ACP. I like the 10mm. I like the 38 Special. I like the 357 Magnum. I like the 357 Sig. I like the 44 Special. I like the 44 Magnum. I like the, well ... you get the picture.

Why "leave" any? Just set the gun aside; you'll pick it up again in time. Cycle of life sort of thing.

mdauben
October 10, 2012, 11:28 AM

I never left it! My first centerfire pistol was a Glock 17 and I still use that gun even though I have a couple .45's and a .357 now, too.

October 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
I love 9mm. All I own are .45 auto and 9mm.

Me too!! Three SIGs in 9mm, three SIGs in .45 Auto and seven 1911s in .45 Auto with plans to add another SIG ... an SP2022 in 9mm.

danweasel
October 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
I am shrinking.

.45 traded to my pops for a .40 (stupid. stupid, STUPID), then tired of the kick to the uhhh... stomach every time I buy practice ammo, I went out and bought an XD9. I love $9.99 a box Magtech/Independence!

PTMCCAIN
October 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
"Going back?" I never left.

Have both 9mm and .45ACP.

awfulkanawful
October 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Being new I tried them all ! Original consensus from friends and others was bigger was better......wrong ! I sold 2 .40's for guess what........9mm cougars....lol I love them , and 9mm today with HST 124gr will do the trick just fine......every time.

Lennyjoe
October 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
Probably not. Started with .357 and .40, had a few 9's and not mostly .45 ACP for me.

In saying that, I have a Kel-Tec PF9 that I carry regularly only because it slips in the pocket nice and is easy to tote around in the hot Arizona summers.

But, I love the ACP's and my girlfriend is a .40 cal nut. I reload anyway so its not such an issue at the counter for factory ammo.

bds
October 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
40S&W pistols with 9mm conversion barrels.

Best of both worlds! :D

bds
October 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Today's 9mm loads are so wussied down that it's disgusting, really.
Really? How about these actual chrono numbers? - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=680677

I wouldn't want to be hit by any of them.
9mm DoubleTap 115gr +P JHP 1395 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1369.6 FPS/ 478.89 LBS
9mm DoubleTap 124gr +P JHP 1295 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1315.4 FPS/ 476.31 LBS
9mm Buffalo Bore 115gr +P JHP 1300 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1333.5 FPS/ 453.98 LBS
9mm Buffalo Bore 124gr +P 1225 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1266.4 FPS/ 441.48 LBS

kokapelli
October 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
Or maybe like this......

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/3xsMH50_rtY

golden
October 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
I am issued a .40 S&W H&K P2000 at work, but once I get home, I switch to a9m.m.
I use either a BERETTA 92 or SIG 225 at home, loaded with HYDRO SHOK +P+ rounds.

I do not need to be beaten up by the recoil of a .40 or 45. I am quite satisfied with the accuracy, power and controlabilty of the BERETTA and SIG.

In fact, I do bet my life on them.

Jim

Thompsoncustom
October 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by intercooler
9mm DoubleTap 115gr +P JHP 1395 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1369.6 FPS/ 478.89 LBS
9mm DoubleTap 124gr +P JHP 1295 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1315.4 FPS/ 476.31 LBS
9mm Buffalo Bore 115gr +P JHP 1300 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1333.5 FPS/ 453.98 LBS
9mm Buffalo Bore 124gr +P 1225 FPS (XD 4") Average = 1266.4 FPS/ 441.48 LBS

Those numbers aren't all that impressive comparative to underwood ammo or reloads. Well underwood's is only 501/lbs but I've pushed the speer gold dot to 1564fps/625lb's tho I would say that the pressure level was unsafe for most guns and the bullet frags at that speed. I find for me 1425fps/517lb to be prefect and the bullet expands to over 1 inch not so sure if that's to good or not but it sure looks neat.

IMTHDUKE
October 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Have mostly 9s....some 45s.....one 40.....one 357sig(one gun different barrels. Couple of 380s.......I like em all.

The-Reaver
October 12, 2012, 11:05 PM
I never left the 9 mm probably never will. Don't get me wrong situation dictates as always so carry 9mm but from the inside of my truck to the windows. BG catching 45 ACP

FMF Doc
October 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
I did. I started with a Beretta 92fs, then moved to a G19 Gen 3 for something lighter. Then dabble with various .380s and 38/357 revolvers trying to find something easier to carry. Finally came back to the G19 Gen4 in good old cheap, reliable 9mm. And I don't plan on leaving. Now that I have my S&W M&P Shield, I don't need anything small. And if I need to go bigger, I'll just add to the collection, but my G19 and 9mm are not going anywhere!

Dr_2_B
October 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
I am becoming more comfortable with 9mm than I used to be. During the 1990's and the 2000's I wanted something that started with a 4. But a couple things happened for me. First, I began to recognize that ballistics technology was making the difference between a 9mm and the slightly larger calibers negligible. Second, I began to recognize that even those larger calibers weren't quite the magic bullet i'd once believed. For the first time i really iunderstand that shot placement is much much more important than anything else. And the mind-set of the bad guy plays as big a part as a lot of things.

JROC
October 14, 2012, 02:33 AM
9mm is a great round IMO. It and 10mm are the only two semi-auto pistol rounds I really care about. The only reason I have any love for .45 ACP is because I like 1911's.

Gun chambered in 9mm tend to be very good, and reliable firearms with few issues.

JERRY
October 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
i never left the 9mm, had one since 1988 in one form or another.

most of my semi-autos are 9mms, but im still a sucker for a .45acp in a small package such as the PM45 and the power of the 10mm in a police type gun like the G20.

PocketRocket
October 14, 2012, 05:32 AM
I was required to carry a revolver while on road patrol. When I went to homicide I first carried a S&W 559 (like the 459, but a blue steel frame and slide - only 2500 made) mainly because reloading ammo was cheap. I prefer the 1911 platform, so when a Colt Combat Commander (like the regular Commander, but a blue steel frame and slide) became available in 9mm Luger I made the switch.

I enjoy a pistol with a stout recoil and shoot them reasonably well, so I purchased a Colt Government Model 9x23 barrel (cut down to 4.25), bushing and magazine and the Combat Commander was good to go.

Choreographed Velocities:

124 gr JSP Winchester White Box = 1400 fps
124 gr Hornady XTP over HS6 = 1450 fps

You're looking at .357mag velocities out of a auto-pistol with very managable recoil - not even close to that of a 4" revolver.

If anyone is considering this conversion please note that Colt only recommends this caliber in their all steel pistols. Most reloaders only use small rifle primers.

Halal Pork
October 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
Since I doubt I will ever get rid of at least three pistols chambered in 9mm, leaving was never an option. It has crossed my mind looking at ammo prices to dump my 40s and the ammo I have set aside for them though. If I see $400 for a case of American Eagle from the wholesalers, I'm selling out, taking the profits, and sticking with 9mm and 45 ACP in the pistols category from then on.

SharpsDressedMan
October 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have certainly re-introduced myself to the 9mm in the last 7-8 years, due to the cost of reloading, and the sheer joy of the multitude of designs and guns in 9mm. Variety is truly spicy. I have 3 Walthers (PPS P99 & P38), 2 CZ75's, 4 Browning/FN Hi Powers, 1 S&W 3914, and a Beretta 92FS. Not bad for a big-bore fan. Some kind of 9mm always goes to the range with bigger guns, and often gets packed, just becuase they are fun. They are all sighted in, I know where they hit, and I can place shots with the best of them. That makes me feel well armed, with a gun and round that still exceeds the old reliable .38 Special.

ponchsox
October 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
Never left.

HoosierQ
October 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Never left it. Got a .45 ACP just to have one but a 9mm will always be my go to gun...that or .38spl. I guess I am old school.

Skribs
October 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
I've tried finding the "perfect" CCW for a while now. I've tried a duty-size and compact-size .40, a pocket .380, and even a 3" 5-shot revolver. I've come to the conclusion that a compact 9 is my favorite, and my current BUG is a compact 9. I'm not sure if I want to replace my primary with another compact or a full-size, but I know it's going to be a double-stack 9 from the M&P line.

Dnaltrop
October 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
I've shot them many, many, many... (etc etc) times... My wife owns one... I enjoy borrowing my old man's CZ-83, There are a few guns in 9mm that I wouldn't mind owning, albeit after other desires are met.

.38/357.. sure! (close, No cigar)

I have no outward complaints with the round, or any illusions that proper loads are ineffective.

But for myself, I've NEVER been "In" with the 9mm crowd, it seems to be the caliber I skip over immediately in most instances when making such considerations.

I either immediately lock on to the nearest .45/38/357 wheelguns, or look at .45 ACP/10mm when considering Semis... or .22/380 when going smaller.

To each their own, maybe i'll get that CZ-75, or Calico after finally saving up for the DeLisle.

MIL-DOT
October 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
Here's another vote for "never left". I stuck by the venerable 9mil. though all the years of it falling out of favor and being beat like the proverbial red-headed stepchild. I flirted with 10's, .40's and .45's, but I never left the niner, and other than my revovlers, it's all I got now.

floydster
October 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
I have three 9's, an EMP and a CZ75B, also a CZ PCR--love the 9mm's.

Smokeyloads

Southside830
October 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Never left. All my auto loaders are 9mm. 1 357 revolver and a few 22s.

Jaymo
October 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
I prefer .45s, but 9 is cheaper to shoot.

CZ57
October 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Never left. I do enjoy shooting .45 ACP a lot though, but I'll always keep a good 9mm around and loaded +P. ;)

ApacheCoTodd
October 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
Never left it so much as got distracted by the newers & shiniers for a bit.
The 9 is just so darn capable, easy to shoot, easy on its platform, easy to re-load for, cheap to stay trained with and proven.

All the same points which have had me re-focusing on .38 Special of late.

cwl1862
October 27, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'll switch back to my SR9c as soon as I get tired of carrying my SR40c ;) then I'll switch back again.......:rolleyes:

coalman
October 27, 2012, 11:06 PM
Did years back. My first semi-auto was a 9mm, then .40sw for the next 3-5 that followed. Now it's .45acp or 9mm, and no .40sw.

Warp
October 27, 2012, 11:08 PM
I never left.

Sure, I sometimes carry a .357 mag or a .45 ACP...but I started with and never left 9x19

itchy1
October 28, 2012, 09:40 AM
No need to go back to the 9 here. I've added .45's and .40's but the 9 flat out rules the safe due to the realtively cheap cost of ammo and numerous platform options. If I could only afford one pistol, it would be a 9.

David White
October 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
I still have my nine (a Ruger P95) but it mostly sits in the draw.
I've been shooting .40's since Glock announced the model 22 way back in the day! I don't notice any difference between the 9mm and the .40 in recoil.
Ammo is only about $4 a box difference between the two so cost is not a bother either.
I also just picked up the S&W M&P40 FS and it is fantastic!
I won't be getting rid of the 9mm but I also don't carry it anymore.
There is nothing better than a full size forty with standard rounds that exceed 500fpe!

David White
October 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
What's this "trend" with all these "compact", "mini" and "sub compact" carry guns? Am I the only one left that carries a full size duty gun?
I have no desire to carry some sub compact, six plus one gun. I want full on high cap magazines. Not several "tiny" magazines!
I think this is a dangerous trend that only reduces your fire power.
Call me crazy but no way in hell will I give up my duty sized weapon for the tiny pea shooters people are buying now!

Warp
October 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
What's this "trend" with all these "compact", "mini" and "sub compact" carry guns? Am I the only one left that carries a full size duty gun?
I have no desire to carry some sub compact, six plus one gun. I want full on high cap magazines. Not several "tiny" magazines!
Call me crazy but no way in hell will I give up my duty sized weapon for the tiny pea shooters people are buying now!

There are a LOT of options between a full size/duty gun and a tiny pea shooter.

I'll take my "sub compact" Glock 26.

johnnydollar
October 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
I like two 9mm pistols: the HK P7 and the Browning Hi-Power. Both were made in .40, but most folks prefer the 9mm version in each pistol. The P7 is about as good as it gets in 9mm.

berrywood
October 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
I went from 40 back to 9mm. The 9mm is a pleasure to shoot, higher capacity, and any defensive ammo is sufficient.

jeepnik
October 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
No, I tried it once or twice (with FMJ ammo) and found it somewhat less that awe inspiring. I thought the BHP's magazine capacity was a good idea, but it just wasn't quite as effective as I'd like. So, I went back to the 1911 with it's paltry 7 round magazine and "lived" happily ever after.

helitack32f1
October 28, 2012, 10:25 PM
I have been packing a .40 since 1993 and occasionally toy with the idea of just going to 9mm, but I have no real reason to except possibly ammo prices. I have never had a problem with the recoil of the .40 and have always liked the round. I have considered switching to the XD-S in .45 though.

xxjumbojimboxx
October 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
I own 10 semi autos and one revolver as far as handguns are concerned. All ten semis are 9mm, the revolver is a .22. As far as rifles are concerned I'm with the ak's all day. 9mm is the superior caliber for so many reasons, ill never leave it, so ill never have to go back to it.

DAdams
October 29, 2012, 01:15 AM
9mm second only to .38 spl plus p and .357 magnum revolvers. I have .40s and .45. None are for sale.
Don't you know what's coming? You are going to need them all and then some. The last semi I bought was a .45.
These pistols are just weapons to get you to your battle rifles....or shotguns.

xxjumbojimboxx
October 29, 2012, 01:37 AM
9mm second only to .38 spl plus p and .357 magnum revolvers. I have .40s and .45. None are for sale.
Don't you know what's coming? You are going to need them all and then some. The last semi I bought was a .45.
These pistols are just weapons to get you to your battle rifles....or shotguns.
impending doom!

NOLAEMT
October 29, 2012, 02:21 AM
impending doom

obligatory futurama reference:

And to keep it on topic...

I guess I'm the only one here who has never owned a 9mm? I've got three 45's but no 9mm...

I guess I need to go shopping! :what:

Robert101
October 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
I never owned a 9MM. I do own a .380 but that really is not the same thing. I put more rounds in 45 down range than any other caliber (except the 22). What do you use 9MM for?

Robert101
October 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
"What do you use 9MM for?"
That was just a joke.

Certaindeaf
October 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
I remember using some of the first, second or third generation 115 grain Silvertips (they were actually pretty good rounds.. I shot deer and pig etc with them.. they worked very well) a very long time ago.
Anyway, my buddy had him his brandy new stainless 3" S&W .44 special and shot an unopened tuna can that was facing us at a distance of about fifteen feet with some light Silvertip hollow points. When he finally hit it on the fourth try, a .44 hole was produced and the liquid slowly leaked out. The can did not move.
My turn. Pow! With my Hi-Power. A mist of tuna and juice formed about a perfect twenty foot wall. Never found the can.
Don't get me wrong, I love me a .44, .45 etc but that was pretty funny.

coalman
October 30, 2012, 02:15 AM

I now only own guns that have a full grip. I cannot shoot anything less well in 9mm (as small as I go) or .45acp (as large as I go). Significant differences in proficiency and competence matter more to me than slight differences in carry comfort. I no longer own or carry a gun I cannot speed/action shoot well.

IMO too many sacrifice significant levels of competence for slight differences in comfort by carrying tiny guns. (Hardly no one runs these tiny guns in IDPA, and for good reason.) This is the "better to have a gun..." (i.e. any gun) crowd, and they stop after the "gun" part of that sentence.

The right belt and holster make larger guns carry best, whereas with tiny guns pretty much anything works. Me, I'm the "find a way to make the guns you shoot best work" crowd. And, I only select 9mm in higher capacity. So, currently, my rotation is a 14+1 (+1 spare) 9mm, or a 7+1 (+2 spares) or 10+1 (+1 spare) .45acp. I know I can hit what I aim at with these guns, because I do reliably, and that's instills confidence that trumps their size or weight.

helitack32f1
October 30, 2012, 03:39 AM
I now only own guns that have a full grip. I cannot shoot anything less well in 9mm (as small as I go) or .45acp (as large as I go). Significant differences in proficiency and competence matter more to me than slight differences in carry comfort. I no longer own or carry a gun I cannot speed/action shoot well.

IMO too many sacrifice significant levels of competence for slight differences in comfort by carrying tiny guns. (Hardly no one runs these tiny guns in IDPA, and for good reason.) This is the "better to have a gun..." (i.e. any gun) crowd, and they stop after the "gun" part of that sentence.

The right belt and holster make larger guns carry best, whereas with tiny guns pretty much anything works. Me, I'm the "find a way to make the guns you shoot best work" crowd. And, I only select 9mm in higher capacity. So, currently, my rotation is a 14+1 (+1 spare) 9mm, or a 7+1 (+2 spares) or 10+1 (+1 spare) .45acp. I know I can hit what I aim at with these guns, because I do reliably, and that's instills confidence that trumps their size or weight.
I think what you are missing is the fact that most people are now realizing or buying into the belief that most real world scenarios for defense are at distances of 7 yards or less so there is no need for IDPA accuracy at farther distances. There are also a lot of people who are uncomfortable enough with a larger gun that they are more likely than not to leave it at home rather than deal with discomfort or the perceived effort necessary to conceal the larger weapon.

There are a lot of people who buy the smaller guns so they have something to throw into their pocket for quick trips or wandering around the house. These little big bore guns have a place. I bought an lcp for just those times. Then I sold it because I realized I never actually packed it around. I have had a hard time finding situations where I cannot comfortably pack my Glock 23 in a Crossbreed holster.
I cannot justify replacing the 13 rounds of .40 of the Glock with 6 rounds of .45 in the XDS, but I sure as heck can justify that 6 rounds of .45 over 6 rounds of .380, or nothing at all.

coalman
October 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
I think what you are missing is the fact that most people are now realizing or buying into the belief that most real world scenarios for defense are at distances of 7 yards or less so there is no need for IDPA accuracy at farther distances.

Not at all. Not one bit actually. I've done the research, read the reports and the internet lore.

Facts are you likely will never need your gun. Then, just showing it will almost always be enough. If showing it is not enough you will most likely miss far more than you hit. Then, it depends on what you hit. So, after "need", "show", "miss" and "what" you're left with the statistical improbability what you select will even matter.

Regardless, the only thing for sure is you'll know for sure after whether you had enough gun. Statistics and probability matter right up to the point they don't. And, in my experience group-think runs in cycles.

IMO people "buy into" those scenarios because they need validation for selecting something of limited size and/or caliber and/or capacity. IMO, they pick the tiny gun they want to be "the best" (e.g. smallest, lightest, etc.) then imagine the scenarios and find the data to support their choice. It goes something like, "Yeah my gun only carries 5 rounds but statistics show I won't need that many rounds anyway so I'm fine" or "Sure I can't shoot it as well but statistically SD encounters are <7 yards anyway so I'm fine" or "9mm is good enough for the SEALs so it's good enough for me" and so on. The smaller the gun, the caliber and/or capacity the lower your expectations should be IMO.

I owned a Glock 26 and Glock 27 (both barely "sub-compacts" IMO), as well as a .38 snubby and Kahr MK9, and have fired a Kahr PM9. For me, they perform poorly vs. larger full grip guns in action/speed shooting. Static targets, slow fire, no problem.

With these tiny guns IMO folks select and carry them expecting to never need a gun. While I agree having something is better than nothing I select the gun I won't regret having when I really need it and always find a way to make it work. Opinions vary.

justice06rr
October 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
Yep.

I had a couple of .40S&W pistols that I don't shoot as well as my other 9mm's, so I've always been looking for 9mm pistols now. Other than that, its also cheaper to feed them!

USAF_Vet
October 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
"Going back" implies that I ever left.

Love my 9's, and won't own anything else in the foreseeable future.

Certaindeaf
October 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
It's surprising the number of guys that carry one of those little NAA? .22 micro-revolvers as a "primary".

Okiegunner
November 1, 2012, 12:57 AM
Like most of us, I have 9s and I have some 40s. Really and trully, I prefer a 9mm, and I am a fairly big guy. Recoil is less and follow up shots are easier to place. For my personal taste, the .40 snaps just a little too much.

Many years ago, I could have purchased a NIB G-17, 2 mags, cleaning kit, and a hard shell case for a little under $300.00. Still kicking myself over passing on that one.

flyskater
November 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have handgun calibers in 9, 40, 357 sig, 7.62 Tokarev, 10mm and 45 acp. Since I reload and make my own bullets, it costs me about on average 3 cents/round regardless of caliber. I bought the 45 because of the 1911 making myself to like it, but I never found where the hype was and it just sits there. I carry a 9mm because it is very comfortable to wear. But I love my 10mm and 357 sig.

BP Hunter
November 1, 2012, 02:14 PM
Now that the cooler season is here, it will be easier for me to carry my G19 in OWB holster where I had to carry my G36 in an IWB holster during the warmer months.

throw1out
November 1, 2012, 06:15 PM
My favorite round is 357 sig. But it is not cheap to shoot. I tried the 40 but never liked it. 357 sig is what I enjoy shooting the most and I am very accurate with it. 9mm is my second caliber of choice for accuracy and affordability.

sfed
November 1, 2012, 07:02 PM
I will never leave the 40, I just added the 9mm to the collection and reloading bench. I have 2 40 calibers and 2 9mm`s along with a 357 to keep the orders for bullets, powder, primers flowing. I like em all, they all go to the range when I go weekly and sometimes biweekly.

ScratchnDent
November 1, 2012, 07:22 PM
I can't go back to 9, because I've never been to 9. Sure, I've shot plenty of them, and find them very pleasant to shoot, but I've never owned one.. I'm a reloader who has been shooting .45acp and 38/357 since I learned to shoot. My main aversion to 9mm is the fact that 9mm cases get stuck inside my .45 cases when cleaning them, and I'm not about to get rid of all my 45 brass and components to adopt a new caliber. Same reason I have no interest in .40. 10 mm has been calling my name for a few years, though...no case mixing issues! :)

charlie fox
November 3, 2012, 07:24 PM
After leaving my department in 2000 and carrying a gun for myself again I purposely chose the 9mm. I had been carrying a .45 until the department mandated Glock 22s and I never really warmed up to the .40; I did however fall in love with the Glock platform. So I went and bought myself a Glock 19, three different holsters, several magazines and 1000 rounds of ammunition and haven't looked back.

ApplePie
November 3, 2012, 09:12 PM
I just FEEL better carrying my Glock 19 than I do carrying my Glock 30. I shoot both accurately, but for some reason, I have more confidence in the Glock 19. Perhaps it naturally points better; perhaps it's because I feel I can make quicker follow-up shots with it; perhaps it's because the thinner gun feels better in my hands. I think it's important to have confidence in your weapon of choice. If you don't, it will show, and that could be a problem.

ForumSurfer
November 3, 2012, 09:22 PM
Switched to all 9mm a few years back. It's time for me to complete my heresy and pick up a 9mm 1911. My next purchase after that will be a reloading setup so I can get back to 45 again.

On a side note, I recently spoke up against a whacko sales clerk...I never do, but this one was different. A middle aged lady who was obviously doing her homework was being misled. She mentioned having rented this and that and had settled on a ruger lc9 after having shot it and determining she could could cycle the slide and run the gun. The salesman had her talked our of it and into something in 40 (in which she could barely rack) because "one 40 equals the same power as a whole 'clip' of 9mm."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjjitters
November 3, 2012, 10:02 PM
I don't "leave" or "come back to" any caliber. I like whatever caliber is in the gun I'm shooting at the moment. Don't see any point in worrying if one caliber is better than another or if the target can feel the difference. I cast my own bullets and then reload the ammo so cost differences don't even enter my mind. I'll be happiest when I get several guns in every caliber.:cool:

biohazurd
November 3, 2012, 11:25 PM
I never left the 9x19. 9mm was my first centerfire handgun caliber and i have never been disappointed with the caliber. I currently owned 7 9mm, 9 .45acp and 0 .40 s&w(great ballistics but it never grew on me.) As far as autos go those rounds fit most of my needs. 9mm is cheap to shoot, mild recoil, and has great mag capacity, and with modern hollow points is very efficent at stopping threats.

9mmforMe
November 4, 2012, 10:20 PM
Going back? I never left!!

muggia59
May 8, 2013, 09:41 PM
My cz75 compact is a little heavy, but its accurate, reliable, perfect fit in the hand and shoots anything, ANYthing I put in it. I may have got lucky with my P938, but it is reliable and concealable. Hornady and Black Hills + p hp rounds have been flawless. I still have 357/38 and 45acp. I still like quantity + reliability for carry. However my xd45 with 13+1 fits the above criteria, and conceals just fine in colder weather.

Warp
May 8, 2013, 10:42 PM
Nothing like randomly bumping a 5 page, 6+ month old thread.

But yeah...never left.

Kachok
May 9, 2013, 01:38 AM
I recently went back to a 9mm as my carry gun. My XDm carries 19+1 without using an extended mag. But the 9mm is not the only caliber I carry or handload, I currently load 9mm, 40, 44 Mag and am about to start loading for 45 ACP.
I do like 9mms, they have a fast follow up, high capacity, and hit alot harder then people give them credit for especially with Longshot fueled handloads.

DeadFlies
May 9, 2013, 08:01 AM
Nope.

In fact, I just traded my 9mm and crossed the frontier into .45 ACP territory. Reloading those tiny cases was getting to be a pain. So I got some bigger ones.

Pilot
May 9, 2013, 09:34 AM
Hmmm. I reload for both 9MM, and .45 ACP and see no real difference in ease of reloading. I've also reloaded for .380 ACP, and never had an issue with that either.

returningfire
May 9, 2013, 10:59 AM
I never left the 9mm.

bearfoot
May 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
Though I still have my 9mm pistols, I'm not shooting them at all any more. I carry either a G27 (summer) or G32 (winter) and I'll be adding an XDs to my summer carry/BUG rotation.
Reason? Can't find enough 9mm to keep shooting it. I can find all the other calibers enough to keep practicing, and I have a little 9mm just in case I need to loan a pistol out, or introduce a new shooter.
When the ammo rush eases up, I'll start buying again for sport and recreation, but I shoot the other calibers just as well, so I don't plan to carry it again.
Not saying that there's anything wrong with it, and I reserve the right to go back at any time. :cool:

WoodchuckAssassin
May 9, 2013, 01:57 PM
Once I went .45, I never looked back.

iblong
May 9, 2013, 02:36 PM
Sold my last 40 this winter,have lots of 9's but not selling any of my 45's.

dt466ih
May 9, 2013, 03:04 PM
When i first started buying guns in the 90s, the 9mm was THE caliber to have, but when i began to learn about bullet performance , i.e. penetration + expansion ect, and what i felt should be the min. requirements, (12-14 in penetration with 1.5xs expansion ) , i found that the 9mm couldnt achieve the performance that i wanted . I then "discovered " the 40 cal , which easy to find a bullet that would do what i wanted it to do as there are many good rounds for it . i then added the 10mm to my list , an AWESOME round !
Time on the range as shown me how much better i can shoot the 9mm vs, the other calibers even when using the same gun such as the g19 and g23 .
With the improvements in 9mm ammunition i've now found myself buying 9mms again . they will do the job with proper loading . I'd rather hit an attacker three times center mass with a 9mm , then hit once and then miss two followup shots with a .40 .45 or even a 10mm. only hits count . just my opinion

shooter_from_show-me
May 9, 2013, 03:08 PM
I never left the 9mm.

Same here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mdauben
May 9, 2013, 03:11 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I never left the 9mm, but lately I've been "going back" more and more to the .45ACP simply becuase I can find ammo more easily for those guns.

C0untZer0
May 9, 2013, 03:17 PM
Since I first commented in this thread I did get a Rohrbaugh R9

I think 9mm may be the perfect caliber for the Pocket Pistol. I've yet to see a reliable production gun chambered in larger calibers that measures out at 5.2" OAL, 3.7" high and weighs 13.5 oz empty, having a capacity of 6+1 rounds.

Doesn't seem you can get a semi-auto that small in 45 ACP or 40 S&W.

And the 9mm round is, IMO considerably more effective than the 380 Auto.

I don't have trouble shooting the R9 accurately but I realize the small nines are not for everyone. But for people who have the arm and grip strength to handle the recoil of the pocket nines, guns like the Kahr PM9/CM9, Boberg XR9-S, the Rorhbaugh R9 and other similar guns, might present a good reason to go back to 9mm.

Babarsac
May 9, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'm looking to get back in the 9mm mostly for range use and a little open carry (CCW is a P32). After being real big into FN's I'm looking either a Glock 19 or S&W M&P.

Beentown
May 9, 2013, 04:08 PM
I sold all my pistols other than 9mm. I will do revolvers in other calibers but the 9mm will do everything I need it to do, and cheap.

roadcoder
May 9, 2013, 04:10 PM
I've got nothing else to say about 9mm or 22lr. Lesson learned :uhoh:

GunsBlazing
May 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
With the improvements in 9mm ammunition i've now found myself buying 9mms again

Can you go into more detail about this? I've always been under the impression that 9mm ammo didn't have enough stopping power to rely on as a defensive round. Thanks.

Warp
May 9, 2013, 04:41 PM
Can you go into more detail about this? I've always been under the impression that 9mm ammo didn't have enough stopping power to rely on as a defensive round. Thanks.

What gave you that impression? :confused:

g_one
May 9, 2013, 04:55 PM
I traded in my 9mm G26 and carry an LCP (.380) now, but it was purely for size reasons. If a Rohrbaugh or Boberg had been easier to find or cheaper, I probably would have gone with one of those. For me, my EDC gun is more about how small I can get it, and how accurate I can be with it, but if it came down to two guns of equal size I definitely would have gone with 9mm over .380.
My other handguns are .45 (1911) and .357 (full size 6 shot wheel gun)

Potatohead
May 9, 2013, 05:51 PM
i read a post somewhere the other day that if you were in a real gunfight you would understand why someone would use a .40 or .45. Anybody here been in a gunfight? just curious to see if one really needs that extra oomph in a fight, or the higher capacity...

Warp
May 9, 2013, 06:43 PM
i read a post somewhere the other day that if you were in a real gunfight you would understand why someone would use a .40 or .45. Anybody here been in a gunfight? just curious to see if one really needs that extra oomph in a fight, or the higher capacity...

Link to said post?

Beentown
May 9, 2013, 06:44 PM
Everything is a compromise and nothing is "right" for every situation/person.

9mm is cheap, easy to shoot, widely used (scrounging purposes), has a higher capacity for same sized pistol and has good terminal ballistics when using good ammo.

If I think I may need more than 9mm, I will be toting a long gun.

g_one
May 9, 2013, 06:52 PM
If I think I may need more than 9mm, I will be toting a long gun.
This.
I would trust 9mm for any two-legged predator; I have a 1911 in .45, but that's only because of the timing and other design issues I've read about with 9mm 1911's. Well that, and I think if you're gonna get your first 1911 it should be in the cartridge it was designed for. (If I ever get another 1911 it will likely be in 10mm but that's a long way down the road). If I'm somewhere that I have to worry about 4 legged predators, chances are I've got my Marlin 30-30.

bikerdoc
May 9, 2013, 08:41 PM
i read a post somewhere the other day that if you were in a real gunfight you would understand why someone would use a .40 or .45. Anybody here been in a gunfight? just curious to see if one really needs that extra oomph in a fight, or the higher capacity.

Let us focus here. The original question is.

Anyone else going back to the 9mm???...

I find asking if anyone has been in gunfight rude, juvenile, and blood thirsty.
On THR there are many veterans and police officers, and a few civilians who have had to address a threat and use deadly force. I doubt many would share the emotional aspects of the moment and the traumatic after effects just to satisfy your curiosity

ChCx2744
May 10, 2013, 12:02 AM
Never really left, but I still have one in .40, .45 and a small .38.

GunsBlazing
May 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
What gave you that impression?

A friend of mine worked as a state trooper, he's shared some stories with me of witnessing meth heads being shot with 9mm rounds, still advancing to attack officers.

kokapelli
May 10, 2013, 03:40 PM
A friend of mine worked as a state trooper, he's shared some stories with me of witnessing meth heads being shot with 9mm rounds, still advancing to attack officers.
Yes and there are the same kind of stories about perps being shot with 40 and 45 cal and still attacking.

Beentown
May 10, 2013, 07:47 PM
Yes and there are the same kind of stories about perps being shot with 40 and 45 cal and still attacking.

And .223 also. Trumpeted to boost their negativity (mostly BS) thoughts on a caliber.

Derek Zeanah
May 11, 2013, 01:40 AM
And .223 also. Trumpeted to boost their negativity (mostly BS) thoughts on a caliber.
I've read one account of an Iraqi "accidentally" being shot with a 105mm or 120mm sabot round rather than the coaxial machinegun, and not going down immediately.

There are no guarantees.

goalie
May 11, 2013, 02:08 AM

Yeah, I have. Bring a rifle.

;)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Certaindeaf
May 11, 2013, 02:25 AM
When did they start using the 9?. 1903? Pretty impressive little number for being that old.

TreeDoc
May 11, 2013, 04:21 AM
Started out with the 38, quickly moved to the 357. Then the 44 mag. Thought the 9mm was a euro bastard child caliber. After several years of shooting, I have found that the 9 is more pleasant and accurate to shoot than other big boomers (excluding the 38). Traded for a G26 2 years ago. It has become my "go to gun" for everything. One by one the magnums have been sold or traded.
Still have an S&W 638, but it is rarely shot anymore. I like the 9.

JDR
May 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Until 9mm ammo becomes more available in my area, my G22 Gen4 and H&K USP 40 will get more range time, but I enjoy shooting my Nines when I can

Tcruse
May 11, 2013, 10:59 AM
The problem wih all of these caliber discussions is that you can find a case to support any of the choices and a case where any of them failed to perform. I rhink that to be meaningful you have to consider what your environment is and what you shoot the best. For example, if you are a LEO and think that you may be shooting thru car windshields, then the 357SIG may be a better choice than 9mm. But we also have to understand that there are overlap between the different calibers. The hottest 9mm will overlap the lower end of the 357SIG performance range. For non-LEO shooters it appears that the choice is 9mm or .45ACP in this area. 380ACP. 40SW, 357SIG, .45GAP, and 10mm are at least one level down as demostrated by the range brass that I pickup. For a while back last year it looked like the 5.7 would move up into the common level, but the ammo shortage has killed it chance for now at least. 380 seems to be increasing.

If I were expecting large 4 legged problems, then 10mm would be higher on my list. Nice thing about 10mm is that most of the guns will also shoot .40S&W with only minor changes.

One thought is that most shooters do not practice enough or attent enough training. If our president would like to reduce violence, why not take some of the wasted government money and provide low cost training and ammo. I would think that NSSF and the NRA would be willing to help setting up such projects. Maybe make ammo tax deductable. (Yes, I know time for the tin foil).

gym
May 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
I am only in 9mm and 45cal after 45 years of screwing around with every caliber out there. I have 2 of each, one M&P 9c and Glock 26, and a Glock 30 and XDS, for carry. Got rid of 38, 32, 380 and 40 was the last one to go/ I shoot those two better than the rest

1SOW
May 12, 2013, 10:23 PM
Never left. Versatile caliber that's inexpensive enough to shoot excessively. :-)

Target008
May 14, 2013, 05:39 PM
I have hopped from one caliber to the next like a frightened rabbit and while i miss the 20rnd mags for my m9 i have found my love in the 1911 the only auto i can hit with. and since capacity is so limited for me i stick with 10mm/45 super

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else going back to the 9mm??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!