is Leatherman worth the cost?

PDA

BullRunBear
October 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
I've never carried a multitool but between range time and chores around the house, it may be time to start. (I swear I'm busier in retirement.)

There are a lot of these multitools on the market. I'm looking for one that will last, not just a cheapie. I would rather pay a higher price once than lower prices several times. (This is why I ordered a Lee Valley block plane instead of getting a Stanley at the local Lowes.) So my questions are: are Leatherman tools worth their higher cost? Are there comperable quality items on the market?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "is Leatherman worth the cost?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
October 7, 2012, 12:20 PM
They are worth it. I'm sure someone on here will refer a good site with very reasonable prices.
They's made (mostly) here in Oregon so of course they're the best. lolz

hso
October 7, 2012, 12:25 PM
So my questions are: are Leatherman tools worth their higher cost? Are there comperable quality items on the market?

I'm not sure what you're comparing them to to be able to answer the question.

Are they better than SOG or Gerber or Victorinox multipliers? That's almost a matter of opinion of how you like the features and the tool selection in a particular make/mode.

Are they better than the low price Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart multipliers? YES

Are they worth that much more than the HD/L/WM low price multipliers? YES

Look at the Wingman for $30. It has just about everything I want on a multitool (except the saw on the Sidekick). I hacked a Wingman by robbing a saw off of a Sidekick and reshaping the tang so it would lock in the Sidekick (curse Leatherman for not making them an easy swap) so it is the "perfect" backwoods multitool.

highorder
October 7, 2012, 02:24 PM
I've been a Gerber user for 20 years. I've had a Multiplier 400 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/134506/gerber-400-compact-sport-multi-tool), 600 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/989583614/gerber-mp-600-basic-bluntnose-multi-tool), and a Recoil which I broke.

Gerber warranty sent me a Diesel Black Multiplier (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/811128?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Knives%20%26%20Tools%20-%20Tools%20%26%20Multi-Tools-_-PriceCompListing-_-811128&gclid=CM6_3eyt77ICFYQ7MgodLF0AGg) as a free replacement. It's a great tool.

zoom6zoom
October 7, 2012, 03:40 PM
I've used a Leatherman Wave for years, it's held up great.
I also have an SOG, don't like it as much, mainly keep it because it's specifically designed for telcom, with punch down tools etc.

rcmodel
October 7, 2012, 04:07 PM
I have three Leatherman I have used since Leatherman first came on the scene in the early 80's.

Two are the old Super-Tools, and the other one is a smaller version with non-locking blades.
I keep one in the truck, and the other two in the house within easy reach when I need one.

I keep thinking I will wear them out so I can move up to the latest and greatest new models.

But I can't wear them out.
They all show signs of lasting much longer and continuing to work as designed then I will!

rc

Isaac's Grandpa
October 7, 2012, 05:27 PM
Check your local pawn shops. I have bought several Leathermans in them for usually around half price. Last buy was 6 Waves at $30 each. I think I have one of everything Leatherman has made. I may have a problem.

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
October 7, 2012, 05:35 PM
I took a Leatherman Wave on vacation to a beach house rental a couple of years ago. I fixed two sticky doors and repaired a bathroon door lock. I took apart and cleaned the bathroom fan that was stuck. Fixed a loose sink handle and tighened up a screen door roller. The property owner returned my $800 dollar security deposit and later sent me a letter of thanks with $100 dollars and an invation to return any time. That paid for the tool that I always have close by.

P.B.Walsh
October 7, 2012, 06:32 PM
Yes! I bought a Wave a couple months ago and love it, though I wish the knife blade was better steel like some of the more costly ones, but is does an ok job, could use a sharpening out of the box. The "tools" of it are very good, the sissors are not the sharpest but eat 550 cord easily.

Great tool for ~$75.

TimboKhan
October 7, 2012, 06:44 PM
Absolutely worth it. Great tool you can depend on, whatever model you choose

dondavis3
October 7, 2012, 06:55 PM
I'd say that Leatherman is the multi tool that everyone measures all other multi tools against.

Saying that says alot to me.

I like to own "the best" if possible

:cool:

Centurian22
October 7, 2012, 07:29 PM
Love my leatherman wave, use it multiple times a day, and hate any moment I don't have it on me (usually just when I'm flying). The blades lock AND all the tools (screwdrivers ect) lock as well. Pliers are strong but slightly sensitive to twisting (as any needle nose would be). Well worth twice the price tag.

greyling22
October 7, 2012, 08:24 PM
no experience with the sog, but I've got the original gerber and the 20th anniversary wave. the wave is way better. leatherman's tools are better formed and seen to be better steel. ex: the edges of the gerber blade screwdrivers are all rounded, the leatherman's are all sharp and square. the phillips has held up better on the leatherman as well.

JTW Jr.
October 7, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have used the Leatherman ( not sure which model I have , had it for many years ) as well as a Kershaw multi-tool that has the vise-grip like pliers. Both are worth the price in my view.

kBob
October 7, 2012, 10:48 PM
Both of mine were gifts and well worth the price.....

I have played with a number of the junky knock offs and oddly one that has been useful was the most cheap and crappy looking one which was a gimme from University of Florida for Donors and such and it currently rides in the wife's van's glove box. Next was a "Winchester" branded knock off from Wally World that came with a key chain tool as a plus. I gave one of those to my dad several years back and he still carries it to junk yards when looking for classic car parts. With the cheap knock offs you just do not know what you are getting until you try them.....and if they are all you have and you really need something and those break or just dont work.... "sin lauw"

I think the big name brand tools have got too many geegaws and Leatherman has just what you need and quality for that.

Yes, I think Leatherman tools are worth their prices. and if I ever need to replace one I will likely just buy another Leatherman.

-kBob

QuietEarp
October 7, 2012, 10:49 PM
I prefer with the Wave model, the blades open when the tool is closed. I feel it has the best array of tools. I love mine and have it on me almost all of the time.
Off brand multi-tools are usually pretty lousy.
If you break a Leatherman you can send it back and they will send you a new one, so don't be afraid to buy a used one.

BullRunBear
October 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and experiences. Obviously, the Leatherman line is worth the cost.

After checking a bazillion websites, it looks like the Leatherman Blast comes closest to my needs. I considered the New Wave version but don't need the size or all the features and it bugs me a little that it is made in China, at least according to the Dick's website.

I hadn't considered pawn shops but, since there will probably be more multi-tools in my future, I'll keep an eye peeled. No doubt I'll find other uses but it will come in really handy in the field (photography and sketching). And it will replace a bunch of heavy, bulky tools when using my black powder guns.

Jeff

Arp32
October 7, 2012, 11:17 PM
Never thought I would carry/use one until my girlfriend bought me one as a surprise. She got the skeletool model with a carabiner style hook built into the end. Easily clips on my pants belt loop, which means I carry it a lot more often than if I had to put a bulky pouch on my belt. I clip it on my jeans most days.

mole
October 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
I chose to go with the blast over the wave. Mainly because it's lighter weight and the philips screw driver is longer than the bit driver. I bought mine to throw in the BOB, but carried it for a few months to test it out. I defiantly don't regret getting it and neither will you.

Nikdfish
October 7, 2012, 11:44 PM
I'll admit to being a bit of a Leatherman junky. I have bought a half dozen or so models over the years.

I still have the first one that I bought in the 80's with the leather belt case. It got used pretty much daily for years while I was taking care of various office tech items - still have it.

My EDC these days is generally the SideClip, it is easier to pocket carry it than wear the belt pouch for one of the larger models (Wave, Surge, etc.) while more utilitarian than the Juice, plus a Micra in the other pocket (the small scissors are frequently quite handy ...).

Trust them to last, I have never had one fail or be damaged during normal use.

Nick

lobo9er
October 8, 2012, 12:11 AM
yep. never go on any big outtings with out it, on purpose anyhow. And if I forget it you bet I could have used it.

Certaindeaf
October 8, 2012, 12:45 AM
.After checking a bazillion websites, it looks like the Leatherman Blast comes closest to my needs. I considered the New Wave version but don't need the size or all the features and it bugs me a little that it is made in China, at least according to the Dick's website.

Huh, that's news to me. Always thought they were made in USA. Do you have a link to that?

hso
October 8, 2012, 12:56 AM
made in China,

All Leatherman tools are made in the U.S.

The flashlight is Chinese with the kit you looked at. If you look at the Wave by itself you'll see that Dick's lists the country of origin as U.S.

ApacheCoTodd
October 8, 2012, 01:28 AM
"... worth the cost?"

There have been many times for me when warranties and customer service would have been useless and fortunately not needed due to the quality of the tool.

Oh yeah - I'd say mine have been worth much, much more than the cost even while seeing some of the imitators fold up and not in the way their "manufacturers" intended.

I've been carrying the same one since they came out with two others about and around as well.

For what it's worth, I've never really been able to justify anything but the original though I did pop for the unit with the blasting cap crimpers when they came out (unfortunately- they put splits in the caps while crimping) and bought one of the black ones which was a mistake as they can be hard to see at times.

WardenWolf
October 8, 2012, 02:35 AM
Are they worth it? Absolutely. You can do nearly anything with one. My honest opinion is that they're structurally stronger than a Gerber, due to the Gerber having an open frame and an extra set of joints between the handles and the pliars. The Leatherman design just seems beefier. I own several Leathermans, and though I don't use them as much as I used to, they're always there when I need them.

BullRunBear
October 8, 2012, 07:09 AM
hso: Thanks for the correction and clearing that up. When I checked the site again the Wave tool by itself is indeed made in the USA.

Certaindeaf: Our moderator pointed out that the bundle of a Leatherman Wave, the supply of bits for the driver, and a small flashlight that Dick's Sports sells lists China as country of origin. But only the flashlight is from China, the tool and bits are made here.

BTW, as another example of Leatherman user satisfaction, I checked Craigslist for the entire Washington DC area which includes large parts of Maryland and Virginia. Not one single entry for Leatherman.

Jeff

Mobuck
October 8, 2012, 08:57 AM
I have/use Leatherman/Gerber/Shrade but actually prefer Gerber with the one hand deployment. There are times when using two hands to open the pliers is not an option.
That said, my can't be without tool every day on the farm is a pair of 5" Visegrips. I've carried this tool(worn out several over this time frame) on my belt for 30+ years and would be lost w/o it.

1-1 Banger
October 8, 2012, 09:10 AM
I had a Leatherman MUT for awhile, I loved it. Clearly someone else in the platoon did as well, because it has since been stolen. I'd buy another though, it was great.

tonkamog
October 8, 2012, 09:38 AM
The skeletool is the best multi tool for hiking. It has everything I need and is light enough to pack everywhere.

ugaarguy
October 8, 2012, 11:44 AM
Leatherman is absolutely worth it. I broke minor pieces on two Gerbers before switching to a Leatherman Wave in '04 or '05 while in the USAF. I still have the Wave, and nothing has broken on it. Casual observation, but the Leatherman tools held up better than anything else in field exercises and deployments. Broken Gerbers were common. There weren't many SAK or Kershaw plier tools out there, and the few I saw were carried by operations folks rather than maintenance folks, so no idea on how durable those really are.

Ehtereon11B
October 8, 2012, 12:50 PM
Been carrying a black Leatherman WAVE with bit drivers for a little over 7 years now. Found a use for it everyday and definitely worth it. Have been issued 6 Gerber multi-tools and ALL have broken under less strenuous use.

kBob
October 8, 2012, 12:53 PM
1-1 Banger,

Yeah it always makes you feel warm and fuzzy as an Infantryman to know that one of the folks you have to trust your life to steals your knives......NOT!

In my enlisted tour I "lost" a little tree brand two blade folder, two demo kit knives, an Eicorn Switchblade/lock blade, a sheath knife of dubious quality anyway, and the Ol'Grandpa my Grandpa gave me.

Thing is I always loaned blades and tools and never turned anyone away that wanted me to sharpen their knives.

One of my NCOs stated that a Dummy cord is not only to keep a Dummy from loosing gear, but also to prevent other Dummies from walking off with ones gear.

If I was in charge of the US Infantry everywhere I would make Leatherman tools available to everyone as issue.

They did not exist when I was in and so we did as best as we could. Various team and Squad members were expected to carry additional tools. One guy in my squad wore the TL 59 lineman's kit (needle nose pliers and pocket knife/screw driver in a leather sheath) I carried a file, cap crimping tool, and a cresent wrench, another guy carried a hacksaw blade and short handle one of my team leaders carried a hatchet, one guy carried vise grips and.... well you get the idea. I was stationed in Neu Ulm but we trained every where in Germany from down on the swiss boarder to Berlin.

A Leatherman would have been very handy on atleast a fire team basis if not one for everyone.

-kBob

Certaindeaf
October 8, 2012, 01:02 PM
.prefer Gerber..
My main beef with Gerber, though they are still made in Oregon, I think, is that they're owned now by the French. I think they use sintered metal often and don't even offer their old school daggers they made their name on of old.
Kershaw, also of Oregon.. nevermind. I think everything they make is junk.

Certaindeaf
October 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
.Certaindeaf: Our moderator pointed out that the bundle of a Leatherman Wave, the supply of bits for the driver, and a small flashlight that Dick's Sports sells lists China as country of origin. But only the flashlight is from China, the tool and bits are made here..
I saw that. not made in china. check

BullRunBear
October 8, 2012, 08:24 PM
Okay, here's the funny part. I mentioned this thread to my wife this morning. She looked thoughtful then started pawing through one of the junk drawers. A couple of minutes later she hands me a nylon holster with "Leatherman" on the front. It held a Leatherman Super Tool 200 in pristine condition.

As best we can figure, she got it for me 20 to 25 years ago as a gift, hid it in the back of the drawer and forgot about it. We were both working well over eighty hours a week back then and birthdays came in a distant second to our schedules. It's very stiff but a few drops of Rem-Oil should help. I can tell you the knife blades are plenty sharp. It feels very sturdy for such a small tool.

I still plan to get a Blast to keep in the shooting box but this was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff

Arp32
October 8, 2012, 09:17 PM
That's awesome

rcmodel
October 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hey!

I'd be turning that house upside down.

Hard to say what else she might have forgot to give you for your birthday through the years!!

rc

JShirley
October 8, 2012, 10:27 PM
is Leatherman worth the cost?

Yes. I think Gerber multi-tools are also good, but not Leatherman good.

John

possom813
October 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
I've had about 3 different Leatherman tools.

I bought an original model, basic Leatherman when I was in high school. I used that thing every day for something or other. I ended up breaking the phillips head screw driver, I still don't know how.

I sent it to the company, and I guess that model had been discontinued or something. They sent me a shiny new Leatherman blast.

I used it day in and day out, and lost it somewhere. Not sure what happened to it, so I bought another Blast and the wife bought me a Super Tool on the same day. The super tool rides in her purse and I still carry the blast every day.

The Gerber isn't too bad of a tool, a couple of friends have those. One of the Gerber's got a broken knive blade cutting cardboard, sent it in and Gerber said it wasn't covered under their warranty(this was 7 or 8 years ago). That gentleman replaced the Gerber with a Leatherman.

Leatherman's warranty is great, 25 years, and pretty much no questions asked.

Gerber's is supposedly lifetime warranty, but only under certain conditions

I'd much rather spend 50 bucks every 25 years for guaranteed replacement if it breaks under normal circumstances instead of 50 bucks every time something minor breaks because it may not be covered under warranty.

My 2 cents

Tedzilla
October 8, 2012, 11:17 PM
If you don't like that Chinese flashlight, there are other useful things that fit in it's place. The tools are US made.
I had a Leatherman that I'd carried for 8 years break. I wrapped it up and sent it to Leatherman and they sent me a new one. 25 year guaranty and no nonsense.

David White
October 8, 2012, 11:52 PM
Big thumbs up! I have the Wave and the Core(?).
The Core is the largest one they made at the time with I think 19+ tools!
You can't beat the original multitool!

Pacsd
October 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
my currrent Leatherman has been in my pockets for the past 17-18 years. Every once and a while I'll take a magnet and put it on the pliers tips for a few days. It sure makes it handy for pickin up little metal things in tight spots. A little workin of lapping compund also makes it easier to flick the wrist to open and close them.

Owen Sparks
October 9, 2012, 12:18 AM
My experience with the Leatherman is that the difference is in the outstanding quality of the steel. You get what you pay for.

hso
October 9, 2012, 01:08 AM
I think, is that they're owned now by the French.

Wrong, Fiskars is Finnish, but it wouldn't matter if they were French or Flemish or .... Gerber is self managed.

I think they use sintered metal often

You "think"?

don't even offer their old school daggers they made their name on of old.

Wrong, again.http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/Knives/Mark-II-Knife_22-01874

Where do people get all that silly stuff?

ZGunner
October 9, 2012, 03:09 AM
Okay, here's the funny part. I mentioned this thread to my wife this morning. She looked thoughtful then started pawing through one of the junk drawers. A couple of minutes later she hands me a nylon holster with "Leatherman" on the front. It held a Leatherman Super Tool 200 in pristine condition.

Awesome! Just saved ya some money.

I would throw my hat in for Gerber. I used a Gerber Diedel for a couple years. I love the easy one hand opening. Made it throw 2 deployment where it got very heavy use on a daily basis. Unfortuneatly I needed to replace it after I tried using it to loosen a bung on a 55 gal drum, torqued the pliers to the side too much. Right tool, wrong job.

TreeDoc
October 9, 2012, 03:23 AM
Yes they are worth it. I have 2 an original and a micro for the keychain. The larger 1 was a present. After 20 years of use and abuse, I had broken the file and the blade and all the bushings were wore out. Sent it in to be fixed, they sent back a brand new one at no cost. these gems have saved the bacon more than a few times.

Big_John1961
October 9, 2012, 11:51 PM
I like mine a lot. Very well made and very versatile. I've used cheaper knock-off tools and they are crap, and usually fall apart in short order. $100 is not much to spend these days for a quality tool, especially one as versatile as the Leatherman.

BemidjiDweller
October 10, 2012, 12:07 AM
I bought a Wingman at the beginning of this summer for work. Used it many many times a day and it is still going strong. I carry it everywhere. Well worth the price.

WardenWolf
October 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Awesome! Just saved ya some money.

I would throw my hat in for Gerber. I used a Gerber Diedel for a couple years. I love the easy one hand opening. Made it throw 2 deployment where it got very heavy use on a daily basis. Unfortuneatly I needed to replace it after I tried using it to loosen a bung on a 55 gal drum, torqued the pliers to the side too much. Right tool, wrong job.
I bought a Super Tool 200 back when they were first introduced in 2001 or 2002. Still have it. It's one of their most robust tools ever. I later switched to a Charge Ti (titanium-sided, similar to a Wave), but still have it.

deputy tom
October 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
I've owned and used many brands of multi-tools and my all time favorite is Leatherman. They are worth the price.tom.:cool:

Rexster
October 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
I believe a good multi-tool is worth the cost. My first Leatherman was stolen, and I replaced it with a Victorinox equivalent that I liked better. I may actually be on my second Victorinox, as I seem to recall losing one, but I may actually have found the first one.

DeTerminator
October 15, 2012, 03:38 PM
Does Leatherman honor their warranty without having the original receipt sent along when shipping it back? I broke the pliers on a Squirt a few years ago, but didn't bother sending it in for replacement because I didn't have the receipt. Maybe I can still try for a replacement.

I have the SuperTool 200 also...I carried it all the time when I worked in a yacht- building yard. It came in handy, and was great for busting metal bands that held together materials. Yes, it is a very solid tool.

JohnM
October 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
My Dad gave me one as a present once.
First time I used the pliers it broke in half.
Chucked it and never looked at one again.

nazshooter
October 15, 2012, 05:19 PM
I replaced an inexpensive "Winchester" brand multitool with a Leatherman Charge tti a couple of years ago and really like it. The one hand opening main blade is plenty good enough that I don't feel the need for a separate pocket knife. All of the tools appear to be designed for actual use rather than as a bullet point on the marketing literature.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Double_J
October 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
I broke one years ago, it was a clearance sale model and survived quite a few camping trips before the bushings gave out. I think I sent it in and got it upgraded/replaced. If you can find one for a good price buy it.

I also had 2 gerber multi-pliers. I broke the hinge on the first one (I found it in the bottom of a garage sale tool box so I don't know how old it was). I got a replacement model in the mail about a week later. That one was lost about 2 years later, after a bunch of abuse working on a construction site.

I think all of the top brands (leatherman, gerber, sog, victorinox) are worth the money. STAY AWAY from the cheap wal-mart/academy/k-mart models. They will break on you when you need them most.

stalkingbear
October 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
I carry a Leatherman Supertool ALL the time. I can't count the times I've desperately needed it. My Supertool has always came through for me. I recall 1 time I was broke down on the side of the road and got going with nothing other than my Leatherman. YES they're worth it and much more!

VoodooSan
October 28, 2012, 05:23 AM
I carry a Leatherman Wave in my EDC bag and a Micro. The Wave I have seen like $70. Don't remember what I paid but yes. It's worth it. Has all the main things I need. Pliers, screw drivers, bottle opener, and the biggie for me... Scissors. Of course I have a micro too that has shears and not pliers but I like the tweezers on the micro.

This cheap crappy ones usually just won't hold up to even simple use.

VoodooSan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kBob
October 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
Scissors got used at a horse show this weekend. Wife could not find her mini which was on the floor of the trailor tack room after reloading the horse after the show. Also used the knife blade and pliers stripping some wire last night and middle sized flat head screw driver to work on light socket in the barn.

Used the phillips head screw driver Thursday to take the front off the washing machine when I had to clean a part that was spillig water on the floor.

Use the small screw driver to fix friend's eyeglasses Tuesday.

I use the flat head screw drivers on my BP revolvers more than any other screw drivers.

They are just SO useful.

-kBob

crazy-mp
October 29, 2012, 01:26 AM
I have 3 Gerbers, I have sent 1 pair in 2 times for warranty issues and have never had a broken set sent back. Every time it could have easily been for "abuse" I am rough on them. I use mine every day but Sunday, and that's because I don't carry it on Sunday.

When I was working on heavy equipment I would break screwdrivers from prying on things and the pliers would either have marks from welding or holding something on the grinding wheel. About once every other week I would blast them with brake cleaner then air and a spray of oil to keep them cleaned off some days they were covered in oil or mud, but they never "just broke."

Only thing that I don't like is last time they sent me a replacement it was a different model and there were no scissors. I prefer the blunt nose ones.

I may try a Leatherman in the future, I like some of their new models that you can access the knife and scissors without opening the pliers up, and I like the one handed open option of the pliers.

JohnnyOrygun
October 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
I highly recommend leatherman multitools, I started with the PST, went to a supertool, then the original wave and then the new wave. Leatherman is the best. The first multitool I had was a Gerber, it was OK, except the tools liked to break. It was cast and seemed rather brittle. I have broken the tip of my original wave pliers, but simply refiled a new tip and can't hardly tell its not the way it was made. I now carry a surge, its a little heavier than the wave, but I think its worth it.
As to usefulness, every time I visit my in-laws, I end up fixing things around their house. Father-in-Law isn't the least bit handy and neither is the brother-in-law, I used my wave to change out the battery in his car in the parking lot of the auto parts parking lot. He was going to pay someone to do it. The swisstool from victorinox is very well made also, but doesn't have the swappable bit driver.
Good Luck
John

mp510
October 31, 2012, 02:44 AM
Does Leatherman honor their warranty without having the original receipt sent along when shipping it back? I broke the pliers on a Squirt a few years ago, but didn't bother sending it in for replacement because I didn't have the receipt. Maybe I can still try for a replacement.

I have the SuperTool 200 also...I carried it all the time when I worked in a yacht- building yard. It came in handy, and was great for busting metal bands that held together materials. Yes, it is a very solid tool.

They did for me. I sent in a PST and they ended up upgrading me since they weren't repairing that model any more.

Madcap_Magician
October 31, 2012, 11:42 AM
I've used Leathermans for years. I love them. I like them more than the Gerber or SOG equivalents. Quality and fit and finish is better, factory knife edge is sharper, and they seem to hold up better and longer.

hso
November 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
If you've had your post removed from this thread it is because it was off topic and derailing the thread. Make sure posts are appropriate for the subforum.

Deltaboy
November 3, 2012, 07:15 PM
I am going pawn shop hunting for them come the Christmas break!

gazpacho
November 8, 2012, 09:41 PM
Another vote for the Leatherman Wave.

I've given several away as gifts.

For those of you who carry the wave in its nylon belt sheath, the stretchy side material is double layered, and will perfectly hold a Gerber Tempo flashlight. The Leatherman and the Gerber are part of my EDC (everyday carry) and get frequent use.

Isaac's Grandpa
November 9, 2012, 02:14 PM
I have a surplus of Leatherman's and posted a couple down in accessories for sale if anyone is interested. One Wave and one Supertool.

jmorris
November 9, 2012, 02:36 PM
Worth it? So much so that if I dont have one on me, say swimming trunks, I still reach for it. I have 3 waves, like the locking blades on the new ones but prefer the old wave for cold weather as I hate swapping the little bits around with cold fingers.

Best tip I can give is to knock the plastic off a pair of swiss army knife tweezers and stow them in the grove under the saw blade.

Mauser lover
November 9, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yes, they are definitely worth it. I only have the cheapie "Kick" but it is worth every penny, and if I could have, I would have gotten the Wave with the interchangeable screwdriver thingy, and gotten the extra bits. It isn't a replacement for high quality, do-one-job tools, but in a pinch a Leatherman will cover a multitude of sins.

hso
November 10, 2012, 12:15 AM
I will point out that there are other multiplier companies that produce multipliers that are "worth it".

My favorite for many years was a SOG Power Loc. The Victorinox Swisstool I owned was a great multiplier, but so heavy it ended up staying home more than being carried. Still it was of solid quality. Cheap multipliers are a waste of money since they're far more likely to fail you when you desperately need them.

45crittergitter
December 1, 2012, 05:25 PM
I don't buy Leatherman for two reasons. One, they wouldn't sell, give, or tell me where to buy a driver bit to tighten the hinge screw (tamper-proof torx). And two, Tim Leatherman supported Al Gore for president. I like my SOG tool just fine.

JTW Jr.
December 2, 2012, 01:55 AM
I don't buy Leatherman for two reasons. One, they wouldn't sell, give, or tell me where to buy a driver bit to tighten the hinge screw (tamper-proof torx). And two, Tim Leatherman supported Al Gore for president. I like my SOG tool just fine.

So , Gerber actively supporting anti-gun groups doesn't bother you ?

Rontherunner
December 2, 2012, 02:02 AM
Love my Leatherman Juice S2. Goes everywhere I go. Highest quality imaginable.

Captains1911
December 2, 2012, 10:53 PM
I own 4. I carry a Charge TTi in my EDC bag, a Surge lives in the car, a Juice S2 in my day hiking pack, and a Squirt PS4 on my keychain. I think they are absolutely worth the cost, when you need it you need it, and all other brands just feel cheap and inferior in comparison. I really cant imagine not having one. I also have the bit kit which i carry with the Charge, it contains 42 different bits, and is probably the best $15 I've ever spent on a tool.

Captains1911
December 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
Oops, double

Captains1911
December 2, 2012, 11:09 PM
Best tip I can give is to knock the plastic off a pair of swiss army knife tweezers and stow them in the grove under the saw blade.

Thats a hell of an idea, thanks!

CApighunter
December 3, 2012, 12:38 AM
I have a pair of leatherman multitools, I got my first when I was 7 (10 years ago) and that knife has cleaned countless fish, hiked with me all over the Sierra Mountains, and proved more useful than you could imagine. The other is 4 years old and still going strong. If I ever need a new multitool, it will be a leatherman without a doubt.
CApighunter

USAF_Vet
December 4, 2012, 08:20 PM
Over the years, I have owned several mutual tools. I'm currently carrying the Leatherman Wingman, like many others have already mentioned. I also have a Leatherman Wave, which I managed to break a couple tools. I will eventually get around to checking the warranty and see if I can get a replacement.
I have also carried Gerber multi tools, but by and large prefer Leatherman.

carlo1776
December 9, 2012, 04:07 PM
I've had a Leatherman Wave since it came out and have loved it. It seems much better built than the competition. For AR owners Leatherman just came out with the Mut. I just treated myself to a pre Christmas present.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/MUT

jbkebert
December 9, 2012, 10:28 PM
The home center Sutherlands has the Leatherman Skeletool on sale this week for $25 bucks. I think they are regular $49 or so. I just might break down and give on a try.

I have carried a gerber multi-tool for years the latest is the deisel. Yet so far my favorite multi-tool is the Schrade Tough Tool. I have two of them that have been around for going on 14 years. They have been great tools. I have worn out one of them the hinges got sloppy and Schrade sent me a new one. I have also work through about 5 or 6 of the nylon cases. Each and everytime Schrade sends me a new one. No questions ask.

kym
December 9, 2012, 10:54 PM
I bought a Leatherman Wave from a pawnshop for $12. IMHO it is worth the $60 or $70 they cost. I never go anywhere without it.

45crittergitter
December 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
So , Gerber actively supporting anti-gun groups doesn't bother you ?

Of course it does. I didn't say anything about Gerber, so I'm not sure what the point is, but I don't buy their stuff either.

JTW Jr.
December 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
My apologies 45crittergitter , I quoted the wrong person , majorly sorry about that.

My reading skills suck without my bifocals , again , my apology.

VoodooSan
December 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
It carry a Leatherman Wave in my EDC bag. Great tool and really handy to have around. Even have a Leatherman Micro I carry too because its tiny and has good tweezers and scissors on it. Yea Leatherman multitools are worth the money in my opinion.

Twmaster
December 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
IMHO, yes worth it. I just bought myself a new Leatherman Supertool 300. It's on my belt right now. Just like every day.

fatelk
December 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Does Leatherman honor their warranty without having the original receipt sent along when shipping it back?

That has been my experience. I've carried a Leatherman Wave nearly every day for many years. The company gave me one when I started. It broke once when I loaned it to a coworker who promptly broke the pliers trying to pry something. The secretary sent them in and Leatherman sent a replacement.

Fast forward a decade- this pair was pretty much worn out from heavy use. The tip of the pliers broke off from abuse, and the other side ground down to match. The file worn out completely, scissors worn out, screwdriver bits broken. I was in Portland one day and drove right by the Leatherman factory so I stopped in their retail store. I showed them my old used and (admittedly) abused tool, not asking for or expecting any warrantee for the kind of use it had seen. It wasn't defective in any way, just plain worn out. They replaced it anyway, with a smile! They also had some good deals on factory seconds so I bought a couple smaller tools.

First time I used the pliers it broke in half.
Chucked it and never looked at one again.
Sounds like you got a defective pair. That shouldn't happen, but it does occasionally even with the best brands. The companies that shine are the ones that treat you right when it does.

This brings up another question I have wondered about. When I have something that's broken or doesn't work right I try to fix it or check into the warrantee. I have seen a lot of people that just won't bother. Why is that?

I watched a guy throw away a brand new scope because the crosshair was broken, clearly a factory defect. He was too lazy to take it back or send it in so he threw it in the garbage. Twice I've had people give me broken guns. I guess I'm too nice because I fixed them and gave them back. A friend said he had been shooting with a buddy once, by a lake. His buddy's .22 pistol was jamming. He said it had been jamming for a while and he was tired of it, so he chucked it into the lake! (I suspect alcohol might have been involved with that stupidity, but I wasn't there so can't say for sure.)

I've even looked up warrantee info for friends, once even called to get a return authorization number, and they still don't bother. I just don't get it.

45crittergitter
December 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
No problem, and no offense taken JTW. I have the same problem. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "is Leatherman worth the cost?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!