45 acp bullet shape

PDA

blarby
October 7, 2012, 04:44 PM
For those of you who use a 230(ish) RN cast bullet in 45 ACP, what do you prefer :

Bevel base

or Flat base.

I know this could easily be a poll, but I'd like your input- not just your vote !

If you enjoyed reading about "45 acp bullet shape" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 7, 2012, 04:47 PM
I always prefer flat base.

But they are hard to come by unless you cast your own bullets.

All the commercial casters use bevel-base molds because they fall out of the auto-casting machine molds with far less problems.

I think that is the only reason they even exist.

rc

blarby
October 7, 2012, 05:02 PM
So, you think theres some applicable place for a cast FB bullet ?

I've been noticing what you said as well- just didn't know why.

I think that kinda answers many questions in one, thanks RC ^.^

Secondary question : Do you prefer one lube groove, or two ?

rcmodel
October 7, 2012, 05:11 PM
One grease groove is plenty in .45 ACP.

You may have more case neck tension problems with more grooves and less bearing surface inside the case.

I can't help but think a flat base gives a better bore seal then a bevel base either.

rc

blarby
October 7, 2012, 05:38 PM
I agree on the flat base giving a better bore seal.

Heres the meat of the issue :

2 groove lee flat base 228gr RN 6 cavity mold : $40 lee # 425-228-1r

1 groove saeco flat base 225gn RN 4 cavity mold : $156, plus handles.... saeco # 456

Less production speed, 4x the price.

I will say however, that matching up saeco lubrisizer top punches to lee molds is proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated.

Thoughts ?

Walkalong
October 7, 2012, 06:29 PM
I have a Lee two cavity .44 mold and a four cavity Saeco .45 mold. Both work very well. I used to own an RCBS 4 cavity 9MM mold. It also worked very well. I would expect the Saeco or the RCBS to outlast the Lee, but who knows.

If I went with the Lee for a RN .45 bullet, I would try the TL452-230-2R 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/148534/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-tl452-230-2r-45-acp-45-auto-rim-45-colt-long-colt-452-diameter-230-grain-tumble-lube-2-ogive-radius) tumble lube RN. You could tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox or Rooster Jacket, or run it through the lubrisizer, either way.

blarby
October 7, 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm kinda done with tumble lube bullets, as far as obtaining new molds.

Thats why I bought the lubrisizer, lulz !

They work great. Their appeal however, is limited to those who already know the secret of tumble lube with proper alloy.

I'm also never purchasing or trading for anything other than a 4 or 6 cavity mold.

Doing production runs with a two cavity mold is a joke. Try making 6k of them using even a 4 cavity, and you'll understand why im hesitant to even take 4's.

I have no doubt that the saeco mold is of better quality. $160+ is a tough bullet to bite- so to speak. Even using soft alloy.

Walkalong
October 7, 2012, 07:00 PM
I have never cast 6K at a time, and never will. :)

Bite the bullet and buy a six cavity Saeco mold. The pain of the purchase will eventually wear off, probably about 15K into it. :p

blarby
October 7, 2012, 07:03 PM
I guess im gonna have to.

Sadly, SAECO does not offer 6 cavity- their max is 4.

>.<

rcmodel
October 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
You really need to buy two 4-cavity molds. :D

One cools enough to open while you are filling the other one!

rc

blarby
October 7, 2012, 08:05 PM
I actually have a process using 6 second pauses after pouring,sprue-cut, and emptying- that allows me to use a mold endlessly without overheating.

Figuring that out was what has allowed me to do casting runs of un-ending length.

I ordered the SAECO about 5 mins ago now, so I guess this thread is done unless someone has something amazing to add.

rsrocket1
October 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
Once I get into the "zone" while casting with my 45 6-cavity mold, it's hard to stop. Before I can even start to think about it, I'm usually in the 500-1000 range. The TL451-230TC drops all 6 bullets with nothing more than the slightest shake, but it does take a 6 second press into a wet sponge once every 4 casts.

If I had a mill, I would take the top off the mold and turn the bevel based bullet into a flat base and save lead (maybe 200g instead of nearly 240g). I do have to admit however that seating the bullet is easier with the bevel. It takes a little less flaring to keep the bullet straight while going up the press.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 acp bullet shape" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!