Identifying Primers With Red Cups

PDA

Havok7416
October 7, 2012, 05:07 PM
As the title suggests, I am trying to identify some large pistol primers I pulled from some questionable .44 Magnum loads. They appear to be normal except for the coloring. I suspect they are Federal but I've never actually seen one. Anyone have any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Identifying Primers With Red Cups" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GLOOB
October 7, 2012, 05:08 PM
Red?? This thread needs pics.

First thing I'd suspect is that a reloader colored them with a Sharpie!

Uniquedot
October 7, 2012, 05:21 PM
If you are talking about the outside of the primer proof loads have red primers.

rcmodel
October 7, 2012, 05:25 PM
Or just unplated copper colored primers??

rc

Walkalong
October 7, 2012, 06:33 PM
I figure maybe he's asking about the coloring on the inside.

My Winchester Large Pistol primers are gold cups with a dark red color on the priming compound. That is the only brand LP primer I have on hand right now. Well, except Wolf, and I don't want to break them open.

Havok7416
October 7, 2012, 09:46 PM
I figure maybe he's asking about the coloring on the inside.

My Winchester Large Pistol primers are gold cups with a dark red color on the priming compound. That is the only brand LP primer I have on hand right now. Well, except Wolf, and I don't want to break them open.
Walkalong has it right. The color of the priming compound itself is what I was referring to I just didn't describe it adequately. They are definitely dark red on the inside.

jjjitters
October 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
I had a batch of Fed large pistol mag match that had red compound inside.

Havok7416
October 7, 2012, 10:00 PM
Ah crap, now it's getting harder. I sense a trash dump in these primers future...

JLDickmon
October 7, 2012, 10:11 PM
when in doubt, smash them with a hammer!

(after soaking them in a cup of 30 weight motor oil)

Havok7416
October 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
Upon further inspection the color appears to be a red-orange which seems to make them Federal primers. The Winchesters described previously were dark red.

NCsmitty
October 7, 2012, 10:24 PM
My Wolf 209 primers have a red lacquer sealer on the inner surface. I have some unopened Wolf SRM primers, but I'm not where I can check them right now.

NCsmitty

jjjitters
October 7, 2012, 11:31 PM
Here is a pic of the Fed alongside some CCI. The Feds in this picture are the SMALL primers but the color is the same as the large, I don't have any of the large left to take the picture. The cci's are more of a true orange.

Havok7416
October 8, 2012, 06:18 AM
Jjjitters how old are those CCI primers? They look just like the ones I removed but I would have never guessed CCI.

Walkalong
October 8, 2012, 07:30 AM
That anvil is red. The anvil on my Winchester large pistol primers is brass colored, and the priming compound has a dark red coating.

jjjitters
October 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
Those CCI's are a couple years old(maybe 8-12yrs), the new ones have a dark blue box. The compound inside the CCI's are orange and the Feds are redish orange. I have some Win's also and as Walkalong said they have a brass colored outside and a deeper red compound. Either way I'd say it is safe to say they are mag primers and you can reload them as such or take them out and toss 'em.
I personally would load a few light charges and compare the velocities to the book.

Havok7416
October 8, 2012, 05:52 PM
Sadly I don't have a velocity comparitor (chronograph). I tend to make lighter loads and have no use for magnum primers. I suppose I may be able to load some light .44 Mag loads and it won't make much difference.

Walkalong
October 8, 2012, 05:58 PM
If you are not close to max, it won't hurt a thing.

Just hope you don't use them and then the ammo shoots better than ever.

Havok7416
October 8, 2012, 06:12 PM
Haha that would suck! I will post a range report here when I get around to loading .44 Mag.

kingmt
October 9, 2012, 11:49 AM
It isn't going to make a deference in light loads or Max. If you was going to see a difference it would be more likely to see it in the lighter load.

Walkalong
October 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
I just noticed some (1500 actually) CCI large pistol primers I overlooked. The anvil is yellowish brass and the priming compound, or coating, is yellow.

Havok7416
October 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
They must have changed their compounds. I have many new CCI primers in all sizes and they are all yellow-yellow.

jjjitters
October 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
Yep my new ones have the brass colored metal ''retainer'' and the compound is yellow, those older ones were orange. I think it depends which crayons they have for the day;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Identifying Primers With Red Cups" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!