Taking your long gun with you...

PDA

Sharpender
October 7, 2012, 10:39 PM
Do you take a long gun with you when you leave the house for an extended period of time? I conceal carry my pistol every time I leave the house. If I'm heading out with the family for a day of hiking and driving two hours out in the middle of nowhere, I'd feel better if I had my MP15 with me. What about going away for the weekend with your family, do you take a rifle? I think about the usual situations that can occur, but I'm also thinking about a natural disaster, major riot, etc.. that prevents me from immediate access to a long gun. Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking your long gun with you..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
justice06rr
October 7, 2012, 10:52 PM
I have not, but I probably will take one of my AR15's if I do go out of town for a few days. Put it in the trunk with enough ammo in case something bad happens.

Abel
October 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
A single shot 12ga loaded with 00 buckshot is plenty for me to ride around in my truck with no specific purpose other than to have a handy firearm. If I seriously thought that I'd have a bad day, I would pack the 870.

ColtPythonElite
October 7, 2012, 10:56 PM
No.........

gunnutery
October 7, 2012, 10:58 PM
I do that. Sometimes in hopes of finding some extra time to shhot with familiy members out of state, but the natural disaster/riots/breakdown of society in general type scenarios are really what's in the back of my mind when I pack it in the van.

In general, I try to live life and enjoy it, but i like to be prepared when traveling.

WNC Seabee
October 7, 2012, 10:58 PM
I keep a .22 under the seat. But its purpose is impromptu range sessions rather than SHTF duty.

WaywardSon
October 7, 2012, 11:00 PM
Not unless I am going hunting.

I am honestly curious as to where you live if you feel the need to carry two weapons (CCW & long gun) on a family hike. Is your concern for two or four legged predators?

Maybe it's just me & I am unprepared...but I don't spend much time worrying about natural disasters or riots. YMMV

fireside44
October 7, 2012, 11:06 PM
If I'm heading out with the family for a day of hiking and driving two hours out in the middle of nowhere, I'd feel better if I had my MP15 with me. What about going away for the weekend with your family, do you take a rifle?

I always have a rifle in the truck behind the seat and a pistol in the console.

indykappa
October 7, 2012, 11:14 PM
i live in NC, but am originally from indiana. anytime my wife and i travel back to indiana, i have a CCW pistol (on me) and my 12 gauge in the trunk

same goes for any vacations where we are travelling to the NC/SC coast

Warp
October 7, 2012, 11:16 PM
Do you take a long gun with you when you leave the house for an extended period of time? I conceal carry my pistol every time I leave the house. If I'm heading out with the family for a day of hiking and driving two hours out in the middle of nowhere, I'd feel better if I had my MP15 with me. What about going away for the weekend with your family, do you take a rifle? I think about the usual situations that can occur, but I'm also thinking about a natural disaster, major riot, etc.. that prevents me from immediate access to a long gun. Thanks!

I take a long gun when traveling overnight by vehicle.

I am also going to, shortly, I think, permanently institute a 'truck gun' shotgun or rifle.

taliv
October 7, 2012, 11:19 PM
almost always have a 'truck gun' in the truck

BearGriz
October 7, 2012, 11:20 PM
Make sure you know the laws of the state(s) you are traveling through/to. For example your MP15 may not be California Legal.

fireside44
October 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
The only thing to think about is if you have a breakdown what do you do with your guns, especially your long guns? Open carry isn't legal in my state. I recently had this happen, was a long way from home and it was getting late. Fortunately it was vapor lock and I was able to get the vehicle restarted but if it hadn't I might have had to let my stuff sit in the truck overnight due to my particular circumstances. Not good. I'd hate to lose a prized firearm on account of it.

jmorris
October 7, 2012, 11:30 PM
As taliv said, it's called a truck gun. Behind/under the seat or I made high mounts in my jeeps.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/jeepm.jpg

Warp
October 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
The only thing to think about is if you have a breakdown what do you do with your guns, especially your long guns? Open carry isn't legal in my state. I recently had this happen, was a long way from home and it was getting late. Fortunately it was vapor lock and I was able to get the vehicle restarted but if it hadn't I might have had to let my stuff sit in the truck overnight due to my particular circumstances. Not good. I'd hate to lose a prized firearm on account of it.

Few, if any, decisions in life are 100% perfect and correct for every possible scenario. I try to always have a method of securing the firearm(s) I have in the vehicle should I have to leave the vehicle for any reason.

Open carry of a long gun is legal for me in the states I usually drive through, though. These are between GA and MI by way of IN

WaywardSon
October 7, 2012, 11:34 PM
You make a valid point. I too almost always have a firearm in the vehicle...and generally a good one...but nothing I could not replace. I do not travel with anything that came to me from Dad.

henschman
October 7, 2012, 11:38 PM
I don't carry a rifle all the time, but I usually take one if I'm on any kind of an extended road trip.

TexAg
October 8, 2012, 01:32 AM
Frequently my .30-30 if leaving for a few days and travelling within gun friendly states.

overhead5555
October 8, 2012, 02:53 AM
I work in the oilfield and i always carry a colt 45 and an ar 10. i like to shoot when ever i can and you never know what one might run into. More important to me is what i might have to go through to get home,Ive got a slip tank with an extra 90 gallons of fuel and 2 weeks of freez dried food. With what I carry i think i could walk home if i had to. bit i may be paranoid lmao

courtgreene
October 8, 2012, 03:02 PM
in winter. I often hear stories of people getting stranded and freezing/starving to death before help comes so I carry a gun capable of getting me food, stuff to stay warm, and stuff to build a fire (although that's probably worthless now, I should replace it).

taliv
October 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
jmorris, neat gun rack. i've been cogitating for a while on how to build one but my truck doesn't have a decent spot. and i'd be worried about smacking my head on it when i'm driving offroad if i put it on the ceiling. guess i need a new truck

jmorris
October 8, 2012, 07:05 PM
An over head rack won't work in a lot of rides but Jeeps have enough room over the roll bar and they are solid to mount to.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/DSC02228.jpg

redbullitt
October 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
Really like that mount for the ar15 Jmorris! Assuming you put that together? How did you mount it up to the jeep?

tomrkba
October 8, 2012, 07:14 PM
A used $250 30-30 trumps a pistol. There is no reason not to have one in your vehicle occasionally.

Rexster
October 8, 2012, 07:36 PM
It depends upon where I am going. Some destinations will present major security problems for anything that is not on or about my person. My usual longer-range firearm for traveling is a 4" .357 Magnum revolver, unless I know my destination is long-gun-friendly.

I am very mindful that BMV (burglary of a motor vehicle) is at the top of the most-frequently-committed crimes in the USA.

Zoogster
October 8, 2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah I would be careful putting it in a vehicle if you are going to be leaving it in the vehicle while elsewhere.

I have thought one the easiest and most readily available sources of firearms as a criminal would be to just break into vehicles in a place like Texas where a good percentage of vehicles are going to have one in them.

Rexster
October 8, 2012, 07:50 PM
It depends upon where I am going. Some destinations will present major security problems for anything that is not on or about my person. My usual longer-range firearm for traveling is a 4" .357 Magnum revolver, unless I know my destination is long-gun-friendly.

I am very mindful that BMV (burglary of a motor vehicle) is at the top of the most-frequently-committed crimes in the USA.

taliv
October 8, 2012, 07:52 PM
But I'm also insured and not losing sleep over it

Rexster
October 8, 2012, 07:55 PM

LuvMyGuns
October 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
Sounds a bit paranoid to me not to often I find myself in need of a gun

Warp
October 8, 2012, 09:19 PM
Sounds a bit paranoid to me not to often I find myself in need of a gun

Living in long island do you even have the option of having a gun when you need it?

fireflyfather
October 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
I've seen a custom truck camper shell that had a single long-gun safe built into it that would fit a longer-than-usual hawkins -type musket (It would fit a Mosin 91/30 with room to spare). Looking in from outside, you would never know it was there.

TIMC
October 8, 2012, 09:59 PM
I keep an M-4 and a Remington 870 Tacticle in my travel trailer when we are out and about.

Warp
October 8, 2012, 10:02 PM
I keep an M-4 and a Remington 870 Tacticle in my travel trailer when we are out and about.

What do you mean by M-4?

TIMC
October 8, 2012, 10:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/stagvarminter.jpg?t=1242303262

Well more like M-4gery that is...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/M-4pic1.jpg

This is the BB slinger...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/870Tacticalfinished.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking your long gun with you..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!