Guns you wish you never got rid of

PDA

Clayton86
October 9, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm sure we all have guns we got rid of that we regret or miss. whats yours?

I'v only ever off loaded 3 guns 1 was a remington 11-87 premier 12ga with 3 barrels and 5 chokes to go with it I sold it to my best friend 8 years ago and he still has it today and I can use it anytime I want still. Another was a Rem 1100 20ga to my father in law same deal its mine to use when I wish.

The one I regret though is my grandfathers old Savage 24 22/20ga O/U combo gun. I sold it just last year with out really meaning to it happened way to fast. This gun was in original condition never been re blued or wood stained and was in mint shape not a blemish on her I never fired it and I don't think my grand father did either and it was dated to 1951 I believe. I had taken it to a gun shop and I had guys asking bout it soon as I walked threw the door I wanted to see what I could get for it in a pinch as we were tight on money. The owner offered me 200 but advised me to hold onto it or put it on gunbroker because it was worth twice that maybe triple to the right guy. So I walked out with it and put it back in the cabinet where it stayed for a few more months.

Then a gun show came up and I took it again just curious what I could get if ever in a pinch and just to have a conversation piece I guess as I walked around maybe trade if I found a really nice rifle. Same deal several offers in the parking lot but there were signs all over saying you couldn't sell or trade outside the building. I walked in had it cleared and inspected got the little tag for it and took 2 steps and a man snatched it right outa my hands and asked how much. I had started to say I was offered 200 and was just seeing what I could get and before I got the whole statement out I had 200 cash in my hand and the guy was gone. I was completely dumbfounded didn't know what to say or do. Was a little mad at first then I realized I had 200 cash in my pocket and I came with ZERO so I went shopping then my wife caught up with me took the cash and ran to the mall and bought clothes........for herself. I still kick my self in the rear end about it I never planned on ever shooting it it was just a cool little gun. I still have my great great grandfathers Winchester 69a that thing isn't going anywhere I don't care how much I'm offered and how bad I'm hurting for cash.

whats your story?

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns you wish you never got rid of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
October 9, 2012, 01:15 PM
'Nam era bringback Chicom SKS. No papers though. It was super neat. Bought it from a guy who lived in my childhood neighborhood.

New-Prod Norinco SKS. No magazine, 200$ and came with a free 702 Plinkster

Bulgarian Ak74 with 3 mags I bought for $400 T-T Now you cant even get 3 mags for less than $400! (Exaggeration... kinda)

mberoose
October 9, 2012, 01:18 PM
M31 Suomi. Man what a fun gun.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/Blackballed84/IMG00625-20120620-1838.jpg

aarondhgraham
October 9, 2012, 02:04 PM
All the milsurp rifles I bought as a kid.

Before 1968 I used to order a gun every two or three months from the Alden's mail order catalog.

I had British 303's, German mauser, Italian Carcano, and a slew of others,,,
I peddled them off as my interest in collecting waned.

The only rifle I really regret selling is the pristine 45-70 trapdoor my grandfather gave me,,,
I really needed the money the sale brought in.

It made several house payments and fed us for a few months.

Aarond

AlexanderA
October 9, 2012, 03:17 PM
The first two full-auto guns that I owned: a Thompson and a BAR. I sold them around the time of the 1986 closure of the registry, thinking I was making a nice profit (50% more than what I had paid, after about 10 years of ownership). Big mistake. They would be worth thousands and thousands today.

Babarsac
October 9, 2012, 03:31 PM
S&W K-22 Masterpiece

Traded a Lancaster AK-74 to get the revolver, and this rifle had been a jam-o-matic even after I got it back from service at Lancaster (I've noticed that Atlantic Firearms doesn't carry them any more). Ended up selling the revolver last year when my girlfriend and I decided to get an apartment together. Up till then all my furniture had come from Craigslist and I was tired of dealing with insect infested couches.

Of all the guns I've sold it's the only one I wish I could have back, and my girlfriend even enjoyed shooting it.

But on a positive note, next year she will go from being my girlfriend to Mrs. Babarsac :)

exiledtoIA
October 9, 2012, 04:41 PM
High Standard Sentinel MKIV in 22WMR. Sweet shooting and nice looking.
Trying to find another without any luck.

ApacheCoTodd
October 9, 2012, 04:53 PM
My first "big" revolver and the first gun I bought in the Army; a blued Dan Wesson .357. Loved that pistol and bought barrels, grips and accessories for it whenever I could find/afford them.

Right up until I traded it for....

Wait for it....

A Corvair, wait it gets worse - it didn't run... still more - no title so I had to leave it behind on the next PCS.

Carl N. Brown
October 9, 2012, 05:14 PM
Marlin 336C in .35 Remington; then had to sell my Marlin 336C in .30-30 with Williams Foolproof sight. Curses.

Later, a Marlin 336W in .30-30 has served in their place.

tryshoot
October 9, 2012, 07:06 PM
Marlin 336c in 35 rem. Perfect old smith and wesson 1000 super, perfect pinned model 10 nickel with 5 inch bbl marked detroit police, S&W model 38.

ExTank
October 9, 2012, 07:17 PM
Mine is so much more mundane than the pieces some of y'all let go.

I had a Taurus PT99, the thing ran like a champ (at least, it ate whatever I fed it without a single hiccup, except for one time I got some real crappy milsurp ammo that I'm sure "fell off the back of a truck" on its way to being disposed of).

That was a sweet shooting gun. But I got bored with it and sold it off to make room for new guns.

kyletx1911
October 9, 2012, 07:20 PM
my colt 1911 in ss

bill larry
October 9, 2012, 09:18 PM
Too many... <sniff>

A Mas 49/56 in .308 that I spent months finally getting to run right, then sold.

A cherry Hakim rifle. A cherry FN-49 in 8mm. A mint S&W Model 13. A mint S&W Model 15 with a 2" barrel. A beautiful Webley Mark VI in .455.

Probably the one I miss most though was a Remington 550-1 .22 semi auto that I killed hundreds of small varmints with... I gave it to a close friend of mine that collects .22 cartridges (but had no gun) as a get well present after he had back surgery. At least I know he is enjoying it.

Dave1965
October 9, 2012, 09:28 PM
Walther. K43. Saw some action I am sure of that.

Zebraranger
October 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
My Marlin 450 guide gun that I traded away. I didnt hunt anymore, but I felt like I could take a Dinosaur with that thing.

Coyote3855
October 9, 2012, 10:14 PM
The list is too long and the pain is too great.

Bhi curamach
October 9, 2012, 10:19 PM
Nearly all save the dumb Mossburg. 22 "tactical" thing I purchased for my son. As I ended up trading it straight up for a pristine(battle repairs to stock aside) M44 of Soviet extraction I don't mind.
But the others....siiigghh, a Yugoslav SKS, try to find one now, a P64 though I hated it at the time I really want one now. A Russian mak traded in on a Russian saiga AK, don't feel too bad about that yet, but I know I will...etc, etc.

Don357
October 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
A Star Firestar Plus in "Starvel" finish. It was a sweet little CCW. My CETME, even though I got a PSL in trade with, 400rds of ammo, a 4x and a 6x Posp scopes and a 4 mag pouch and 5 mags. Lastly, a 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk .357mag. Traded it for an Essex/Springfield 1911, but still miss it.

DogLegArms
October 9, 2012, 11:31 PM
Glock 19 3rd gen....oh how I regret buying two 4th gens

newfalguy101
October 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
Two-tone .357 Mag Desert Eagle, traded for a berretta 92 and cash ( cash I DIDNT get)

One of these days, I will replace it..............if I can ever find one!!

commygun
October 10, 2012, 01:01 AM
Webley Mk IV
S&W 1917
Polish Tok
S&W 29
Sig P225
Winchester Legacy
CZ M6

Knockdownpower
October 10, 2012, 01:09 AM
Sig p220 (I had to get another one)
H&K USP compact
S&W model 28 4"
Browning A5 12ga.
Winchester model 70 .300 win may

HOWARD J
October 10, 2012, 01:10 AM
A Rem 700 in 6MM rem---when it started firing by itself--I should have had the trigger &
safety repaired & kept the gun. It was purdy & super accurate.

mnrivrat
October 10, 2012, 01:56 AM
You do what you have to some times, and sometimes you just have weak moment. I realy do not regret so much as I sorta miss them. Here is a short list in no particular order. I could easily double it :

Colt Peacemaker 22/22mag
HiStandard Victor 22
Colt Diamondback 22
Marlin Cenutry Limited 39A 22
S&W 686 Lew Horton 357

9mmfan
October 10, 2012, 05:26 AM
Bought a 629 Mountain Gun off a friend who needed money. Gave him what I believe to be a fair price. Shot it some, had some buddies shoot it, we only saw it as a recoil monster. Thought about specials, saw that they were just as expensive as the magnums, didn't see the point (I was a bit younger, and much more ignorant of such things.) Sold it for a touch less than I gave him for it. It took me a bit to admit to him that I sold it. He was okay with it, but then explained that specials were the way to go. Fast forward a few years, THEN I got a reloading setup. Now I know I was foolish. Dig the Smith 4" tapered barrel revolvers. 3" round butted k-frames are 'bout the only double action revolvers I find with more sexy. Now regretting not owning one of those...

Inebriated
October 10, 2012, 05:35 AM
My WASR 10/63.

I sold it to make an SGL-21 seem like less of a blow, but I wish I'd just hung onto it and waited for the SGL. Still the only gun I've sold, and I hate it. Getting $550 for it did make it a little better, though :D

texgunner
October 10, 2012, 05:45 AM
Argentine 1909 Mauser.

guyfromohio
October 10, 2012, 05:54 AM
Nearly all of them. The standouts being my Winchester 94/22. Loved that gun! Also, my Colt 1991A1.... customized to perfection (my perfection, anyways ). And finally my CS9 Smith. What a great EDC package!

TNboy
October 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
I sold a gun once, it was a WASR picked it up in late 2007 for $200 with 500 rounds, it was like new. Turned around and sold it about 6 months later for $300 minus the ammo. Thought I was doing good until everyone got scared about the upcoming election and you couldn't touch an AK for less than $1000. Finally had the money to replace it this year and could not fine one anywhere.

I don't know how you guys sell your heirloom guns. I have a few that belonged to my dad and grand dad. None of them will ever be sold. I would miss a house payment before that happened. To me they are not material items so much as family treasures.

KevininPa
October 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
..........lots of stuff. Only one I regret is a pre-Taurus Rossi in .22 mag. I believe the model was 515. Those early Rossis are nice.

TrueTexan
October 10, 2012, 12:35 PM
My first revolver a Ruger Security Six SS 6 inch.

dfsixstring
October 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
Early 80s model 66 S/W - kick myself daily over that one.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S

Legionnaire
October 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
I've sold or traded lots of guns; don't regret giving up very many. A couple I do:

Ruger Deerfield .44 Mag Carbine
Ruger Super Redhawk, also .44 Mag
Kahr P9

But even these are replaceable if I really wanted to.

Old Dog
October 11, 2012, 12:54 AM
The list is long and painful. I'll just say that every gun I've ever traded or sold I now miss greatly (well, except for a pitiful Kel-Tec P11, a totally unreliable Taurus PT-908 and a wartime era, thoroughly impractical Beretta 1934 with the worst trigger ever).

bannockburn
October 11, 2012, 07:05 AM
Far too many.

Back then it was all about the hunt; getting caught up in the game of wheeling and dealing. Always something new you had to have so you end up selling or trading guns that you maybe have a surplus of, haven't shot in a while, or you decide to switch from revolvers to semi-autos because revolvers are just so old fashioned.

OilyPablo
October 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
I've only gotten rid of one gun. S&W BodyGuard .380. It had so many defects they bought it back from me.

So I guess I don't qualify. My safe is quite full. Thinking of selling the Russia SxS 12 Ga coach gun. Probably won't regret that much.

Jim, West PA
October 11, 2012, 11:13 AM
T/C Contender in .45=70 with 14"Bbl.
Winchester Model 52,( with paperwork from Winchester), with stainless Bbl.,Redfield sights built in the 50's for the USMC.

AABEN
October 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
All of them. But the only gun that my wife bought me I miss the most!

sargas23
October 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
My first target rifle - a Winchester Model 52. My dad traded it for another rifle which served me well, but I still miss that old gun. Accurate as heck and very well-made.

1911 guy
October 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
Winchester 94 in .44Mag with 18" barrel. They were a dime a dozen and I sold it when short on cash. Got around to replacing it and found they all came with that silly crossbolt safety now. At least they didn't paint it flourescent orange like Marlin did...

hardluk1
October 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
XP-100 in 7mmbr . I do miss that one.

IllinoisGun
October 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
A beautiful Russian SKS rifle I bought when I was a FFL dealer.
That's about the only gun I ever regretted selling.

Hanshi
October 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Aaargh! How about that nice Ruger 7.5" flat top Blackhawk .44mag. Or that nice Winchester delux .458. Or the Belgium Browning .375 H&H. Not to mention the 2nd generation .44spl Colt New Frontier and 5.5" SAA. Three Diamondbacks - 4" 22, 6" 22 and 6" .38 and the Cobra, Dect Spl and little 4" .38spl. 4" Custom worked Python and S&W M14, kept one at least. 2" S&W M12 and ROA SS, Virginia flintlock, 8/38" S&W M27, series 70 Colt .38sup Commander (and several .45s). I could continue but my heart is breaking.:banghead:

TreeDoc
October 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
I have a few, winchester 30-30 trapper, slick with most the blue gone. It was a very good shooter and constant companion in the woods. GP 100 4 inch half lug, stainless, balance was perfect action was butter. Sold it for ?, thinking heck it's a ruger I can always pick up another. Speed six 357, stainless 2.75 barrel, could not believe the accuracy out of such a short barrel, traded for sp 101, mistake.

jacob2745
October 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
I have only gotten rid of one gun in my relatively short "career", and it was a S&W Sigma in 40 cal. Mine was like all of the rumors swirling around. It had an absolutely horrible trigger. A friend of mine wanted it, and he had a trailer that i wanted/needed, so we traded. I use the trailer all the time, but now i wish i had just paid cash for it. I know some people do not become attached to their firearms, but apparently i do. I didn't care alot for it when i had it, then missed it when it was gone. What do you do?

Spieler
October 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
In the '80s I had the money and the inclination to load up on some prime military semi-autos. Once married and struggling to make ends meet in the '90s I made the mistake of selling some of them for a quick (but profitable) buck.

The ones I miss are:

HK91A2
SAR-48
Valmet M-76
FN FNC
SA-85M

Anothermiller
October 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Alot..

Marlin 39 mountie 39m ..MISS THE MOST
Marlin 39a
Bushmaster shorty
Imbel Fal rifle built on a german kit
Beretta 92 elite
Beretta 92fs
colt 1911 70 series that I had customized
Ruger vaquero high gloss 357 stainless and cowboy rig
Ruger 6" gp100 stainless
All matching Russian sks ..gun was mint,all original too.
Mint Bulgarian makerov pistol
M1 garand that I built over the course of several years to complete..was a match barrel,all walnut

One of those times that money was running scarce and had bills to pay. I would go to the local ffl and get cash when Id run low.Id get about half what they were worth but it was either sell them or be out in the street.

CountryUgly
October 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
S&W model 66 first run. Still kickin myself for that one.

45lcshooter
October 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
2 M1 Garands, and M1 Carbine Enforcer. You gotta do what you gotta do to pay bills. I should have just ate beans from a can instead of selling those 3.

beatledog7
October 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
No experience with this as I still own every gun I have ever owned.

That way, I can't find myself wishing I had one back.

charlie fox
October 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
In no particular order:

S&W 39-2 - my very first pistol
Colt Python - 6" barrel, my first LE gun
Star PD - great little carry .45

Barracuda58
October 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
This isn't necessarily a gun that I got rid of, but it is a great caliber and a bit of a mystery why this caliber in no longer in production. I was recently going through some of my dad's things and came across his hunting stuff. He hunted with a 270win Remington 700 and I used the 300 Savage. I spent last week disassembling the guns and giving them a thorough cleaning. Yesterday I had a chance to get out to the range. Great day and both guns performed very well. I could shoot the 300 all day long.

RX-178
October 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
First of all, welcome to THR Barracuda58!

Now to address the topic of the thread...

..........All of them :(

Well, all of them I haven't managed to replace, anyway. But still... yeah, close to all of them.

7thCavScout
October 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
Browning Citori O/U Lightning.

I needed money for our family vacation one year. I miss that shotgun, but I TREASURE the memories that we made as a family on that trip. When push comes to shove guns are just metal wood and don't get me wrong I really really like them, but I love my family more than life itself. All in all it was a good trade.

gp911
October 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
2-1/4" SP101, the DAO model. Sold it to another member on here because I needed cash & felt it was a little cumbersome for edc with that looooong trigger pull. I just miss shooting it...

mf-dif
October 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Sig 522.

westy39
October 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
When I started at the PD we were issued a S&W 686 no dash as our duty weapon. After a few years we went to the Glock 20 and we all had a chance to buy our issued S&W 686. I didn't have the money at the time so I had to let it go. BUT several years later I found one that had been issued to a detective I had worked with at the PD. He had passed away and his wife had a local gun shop selling his collection now I did have the money and I bought it. Life is good.

tobenheim
October 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
Beretta M9. Had a ton of magazines for it, plus a bunch of springs and other parts in case anything ever broke. Had a couple of good holsters. All in all I probably hade $1000 in that gun. And it ran like a top. I used it as my CCW for about 6 months but after that much time I just got tired of having 2+ pounds on my hip and traded it for something smaller/ lighter and easier to conceal. But I sure do miss shooting that M9.

JSmith
October 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
Webley Mk IV in .455 - my first "big bore" handgun. Due to the lack of readily available .455 ammunition I used to shoot .45 ACPs in half-moon clips through that thing.

Liberty1776
October 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Parker 16 ga. Hammer gun - field grade. Beautiful damascus bbls, and it fit me perfectly...

Ole Coot
October 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
Sold a Ruger Redhawk - reason: STUPIDITY only made $12.

hAkron
October 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
I regret every one I've ever gotten rid of. Even the ones I bought specifically because they were too cheap to pass up and I intended on trading them for something else.

Detritus
October 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
In my case the shorter list is the one of the guns I don't regret selling.
Except for the following; two Winchesters that were given to me as the only remaining shooter in the family (models 100 and think 250) but never ran right for me, the Bersa .380 that was my wife's first handgun, and a turkish 28ga that was traded to fun wife-pistol #2, I regret every other sale/trade of my personal guns I've ever made.

Marlin 39 mountie 39m ..MISS THE MOST

Same here, and on top of no longer having the 39M I also screwed up and forgot to take the heirloom (grandad bought the sight pre-ww2) Lyman receiver sight off of it before selling it! :banghead:

My Biggest regrets in no particular order

Aforementioned marlin 39M sold to fund an AR build

Remington 600 in .308 sold it b/c money was tight and i didn't see a need for a light .308 not being a hunter.

My First heavy barreled Savage 10-series in .223 Sold to pay down med bills, used to have a target (signed by two shooters as witnesses) of a 5 shot 300yrd group that i could cover with a quarter and it wasn't a fluke. In the intervening decade I have yet to own a rifle + find a load that has matched that. side note If i can get the funds together in time i may have found a rifle that with match it...

Springfield GI 1911a1 I think I sold it thinking I was going to turn around and buy a Mil-Spec or similar 1911 a few months down the road but life got in the way. I now have another 1911 (Metro ACII) that is making a great project gun for me while shooting better than the GI did. But i still miss that Springfield

Poper
October 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
Savage Model 12 in .243 Win.
With a 65 grain Hornady v-Max and IMR 4064 it would put 5 rounds into .336" at 100 yards.
Sold it out of pure stupidity.

Armed 24/7
October 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
Many years ago I bought a 2.5 inch S&W 686M with 13 boxes of Remington .357 hollow points for $250.00. I shot all the ammo then sold it to my Dad. He then traded it AND his mint 6" S&W .38 special (I don't know the model number, but he bought it 30 years prior) plus cash for a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag that he doesn't really care for. We both really regret getting rid of those, since he could have easily just bought the Ruger.

22-rimfire
October 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have sold many Colt Diamondbacks. I used to buy them when I could find them and sell them for a few bucks more. I regret not keeping an as-new 2.5" Diamondback in 38spl in nickel and blue finishes. Now they are so expensive that I won't buy one. But I did this for fun and did it with my eyes open.

There have been many guns that I bought and sold the same day. I don't even remember all of them as I never recorded that I owned them. I had to take them home for that documentation process to be implemented.

I regret more the ones that I didn't buy when I had the opportunity. Those would include a nickel Colt Bankers Special in 22 (as new), Officers Model Special 22, a slew of Woodsmans... the list goes on and on. But in most cases, there is always another one if you are willing to spend the money.

JTHunter
October 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
Only two have ever gotten away from me and only one by choice.
One was one of the old Ruger round .22LR SA pistols (circa 1975) with an 8" (?) barrel. The other was a Marlin Golden 39A levergun with a Weaver 3/4" tube 3-9x scope. This gun would handle Shorts (28), Longs (22), or Long Rifle (19) either by themselves or mixed in the tubular magazine. This one also had the old style "half-cock" safety, not this "transfer bar" system. The one mod to this rifle was the "right angle" hammer extender which added a tab to the right of the hammer so you could cock the hammer easily without hitting the underside of the scope. :( *sighs*

Gun Master
October 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
I agree with hAkron, but to be specific :DWM Lugers .30 cal. & 9mm, Whitney Wolverine .22, etc.....,but most of all .........my Walther 8mm G-43 (aka K-43) that I got for only $11. Somebody please kick me, so I'll feel better. I did get what looked like a new Winchester M-1 Carbine (GI) , for it.

redhedrednek
October 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Colt sporter...bought from a coworker who deceased dad let it ride behind the truck seat til it was basically junk. Bought very cheap and immediately rebuilt and got it running right and looking good..then came the "I shoulnt have sold it" sob story. I made a couple hundred bucks but it was sweet. Havent bought an AR since.

helitack32f1
October 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
My regrets are: .380 Makarov, Kimber Gold Combat, 2 Colt Woodsman's and a Glock 23 I bought the same time I bought my current one back in 1993.

Only one gun I did not regret selling: an early Walther P22. Horrible gun.

inkinskin
October 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Ruger 97DC .45acp That thing was a tank. It would take any kind of ammo, and hit spot on every time.

justice06rr
October 30, 2012, 05:59 AM
I've only mostly owned newer firearms in the past. The ones I regret selling are: XD40sc, M&P9, Bushmaster Patrolman AR15, and a 740slim CCW pistol.

ChCx2744
October 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
I pretty much regret every gun sale I've made, with the exception of a S&W Sigma .40 and Glock 20 SF. The Sigma had too many issues and the G20 was too expensive to feed. Everything else should have stayed...

chriske
October 30, 2012, 11:08 AM
Sure, most of those I sold ...:
- 6" stainless Colt King Cobra : never found another revolver since that was such a pussycat to shoot magnum loads out of
- Star BM : best, most accurate & reliable auto of that size in ANY caliber, let alone 9mm
- 4" blue Ruger GP 100 : if I had held onto that one, it wouldn't have timing problems by now as the "other brand" revolver I traded it for has.

Ala Dan
October 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
NIB, factory nickle S&W 39-2; with light walnut grips. Man, was that thing
pretty or not~?

captain awesome
October 31, 2012, 12:16 AM
Wish I never got rid of my 8 & 3/8" 500 S&W. That gun was just sweet. I even made a $200 profit on it and I still regret it.

I also regret ever trusting my cousins around guns. Lost 4 of them to their petty theft, and lies. They all ended up in pawn shops and I foolishly took pity on them and didn't have their butts thrown in jail. My firearms no longer leave my sight/side for ANY reason. Moral of the story, Don't trust someone just because they are family, and if you post something up for someone to make bail, even if they swear up and down they will make sure it gets back to you, assume its lost forever.

RIP;
S&W 360 chiefs special 357 mag
HK USP 40 S&W
Desert Eagle 44 mag
Browning Buckmark Camper 22lr

bobinoregon
October 31, 2012, 05:42 PM
sold 3 personal guns over the years, recovered one still miss the other two. For capt awesome, what a judge once told me about bail money, "we dont like to give money back, lets call it a learning experience"

Cactus Jack Arizona
October 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
I'd say the only gun I really regret letting go was my FEG PA-63. I can't hardly find one. Even my trip to this past gun show had no examples. A few years ago you could find 4 or 5 of them.

The other gun I somewhat regret letting go of was a Ruger GP 100 blued 6inch barrel. Not so upset about that as they can readily be purchased again.

Now that I think about it, I kind of regret trading away my Charles Daly (FEG) Hi Power. Probably should have kept that one.

steveo452
October 31, 2012, 10:04 PM
That would be a Rock-ola M1 carbine I sold for $1000.00 and bought a bushmaster AR15. that was a POS.

DammitBoy
October 31, 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm about to get rid of about 25 firearms at the Laurel Gun Show in a couple of weeks and I'm sure I'll regret selling every one of them.

I've just decided it's time to thin out my collection to what I feel is the essentials and a more manageable number of guns. Selling half of them should just about do it.

Then I'm getting the LMT I've been drooling over for two years.

Elkins45
October 31, 2012, 10:28 PM
The longer I think about it, the more I remember. I'm sure I'll think of even more as soon as I post this.

S&W 28
S&W 586
Spanish 12 gauge double
Ruger Mark II stainless pistol
Winchester 75 with target sights
Marlin 1895 w/ peep sight
Colt HBAR (preban)
Colt Gold Cup
IBM M1 Carbine

I'm sure I'll remember more.

Buzznrose
October 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
I had two...the biggest mistake was a Ruger M77V 22-250 bull barrel that drove tacks. The other was a short barrel Remingtom 788 in 308.

Bobson
October 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Winchester M70 Extreme Weather. Sold it just a few months after I bought it, to pay a few unexpected expenses, and planned to replace it the first chance I had. Unfortunately I haven't had that chance yet. Probably could have gotten by without selling it to begin with if I had really looked at other options.

stubbicatt
November 1, 2012, 04:21 PM
Sigh.

aarondhgraham
November 2, 2012, 12:25 PM
Back in 1965 my grandfather gave me a pristine 45-70 Trap-door Springfield,,,
Over the years I shot that gun quite a bit and even took a deer with it.

Back in the early 90's my wife and I fell onto some very hard times,,,
It broke my heart to sell it but the money kept us afloat for two more months.

A few years later when times were good again,,,
I tried to buy it back from the collector I originally sold it to,,,
I even offered him a 25% profit but he was adamant about keeping it.

Oh well,,,
such is life.

Aarond

Stevie-Ray
November 4, 2012, 09:21 PM
My AMT .45 Govt. Yup, it was the absolute pits for a 1911, far worse than any Hardballer, not to mention the Longslide. If I had it to do over again would I still sell it. Definitely, as it garnered me the Colt Mark IV I now have. But I'd still like to have it back now that I have the time to put into it. I'd make that sucker run or else.

bushmaster1313
November 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
My first.
I was moving out of state and could not take it with me.

fallout mike
November 5, 2012, 12:46 PM
Smith & Wesson "chief's special" .38spl. This is the one I regret the most. There is a few more o miss more but they were stolen so I didn't intensionally get rid of them. Mainly the first browning A-bolt medallion .270 I owned. My dad bought it for me for christmas when I was in the 6th grade. I killed many deer with it. I've owned another one since but sold it for a huge profit over what I had in it. This is the one I regret selling the 2nd most. They both had really nice glass on them as well.

2bfree
November 5, 2012, 03:14 PM
Colt 45, pre 64 Win in 270, Browning auto 5. I got married and needed to pay off some of the new wife's debts. I didn't know about. That was about 30 years ago, I no longer have the wife, wish I had the guns back, not the wife.

f4t9r
November 5, 2012, 03:24 PM
70 series Colt with matching Ace 22 conversion. Man I wish I had that back.
The other would be Colt Python. Other but those are the main two

rvanpelt
November 5, 2012, 09:27 PM
:cuss: Ruger Single Six convertible .22 .22 mag 1966 model
Ruger Bearcat .22 1966 model
Winchester lever octagon rifle model 1892 .25-20
Rod van Pelt :banghead:

rvanpelt
November 5, 2012, 09:31 PM
Also pre 64 model 94 Winchester 30-30
Rod van Pelt :fire:

NYH1
November 6, 2012, 03:14 AM
I wish I never would have sold my Remington 7600 Carbine 30-06 Spr. that I bought in 1998. I ended up buying another new one last year. However, the first one was really nice. It had a deer and bear on each side of the receiver with woods in the backround.

I also wish I never sold my first AR15. It was a Rock River Arms Tasc Rifle. 16" barrel with mid length gas system.

NYH1.

P5 Guy
November 6, 2012, 01:29 PM
I must be unique?
Firearms come and go as my taste and whims change. I can't think of one that I wish I still had.
Maybe my S&W 640, but I sold it because I couldn't see the front sight well enough to be useful.

raa-7
November 6, 2012, 03:18 PM
A stainless steel,model 657 .41 magnum S&W 7 1/2" full lug bbl.:( :banghead: My .22lr single six 70's model. A model 94 lever action Winchester 30-30 and now I would like to own one of those,I used to love shooting that lever action it was accurate with the 170 grain bullets.The only shotgun I regret getting rid of was my Beretta 20 ga. it was a great shot gun,one of which felt like an extension of my arm.These were just a few that I wish I didnt get rid of but at the times of selling and trading it was right but it's funny how we "wish" we had now,what we had then.:rolleyes:

josiewales
November 7, 2012, 02:56 PM
Man, what a depressing thread!

LTR shooter
November 7, 2012, 05:21 PM
I'm sure we all have guns we got rid of that we regret or miss. whats yours?

Clark Custom Combat 1911
4" Colt Python
Sako P94S Finnfire Varmint 22lr
Walther PPK/S stainless

Of all those I have traded or sold over the years these are the 4 I wish I had kept.

Capn Jack
November 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
.22 K-Hornet. Used a .22 target rifle barrel on a small Martini receiver.
Rear stock was from an Enfield Stock Kit (Cut way down) and a forearm
I carved myself. Toped it off with a Weaver V-22 2x6.:)

Any surviving Digger Squirrels on my uncle's farm knew me by name..:cuss:

Jack...;)

thump_rrr
November 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
I've only been at this for 2 years and I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever sell any of my guns unless I need the money to provide for my family.

I do regret not purchasing a 1908 colt .380 in 95% condition.
I spotted it at a gun show and by the time I went a few tables over and back there was someone else paying for it.

swiftak
November 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
I can't talk about it. Its too painful.

Deanimator
November 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
The Colt Official Police I bought when I was stationed at Ft. Knox in the '80s, during a [very] brief period when I was considering becoming a cop.

Hey, it's not like Colt's ever going to stop making revolvers, right...?

About eight years later, while living in Ohio, I got a letter from the gunshop in Elizabethtown, Kentucky to whom I traded it, via the Army Locator Service. Turns out that it had been stolen in California about ten years before I bought it and the BATF wanted to know where I'd gotten it. Fortunately, I'd bought it on a 4473 from a gunstore in Cosmosdale, Kentucky. I called the guys who sent the letter and told them where I'd gotten it and that was the last I've ever heard about it.

A few years ago, R.M. Vivas and Son in New York had a bunch of Official Polices for sale. But they got out of the business before I had a chance to get one.

Maybe I'll get another one some day... if this economy doesn't have me homeless first...

Impureclient
November 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
I learn many things in here. This time, it's don't ever sell any of my guns. So far, I'm good.

rugerron67
November 11, 2012, 12:26 AM
All of them !

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns you wish you never got rid of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!