Best way to join the NRA with a best discount?

PDA

jawman
October 9, 2012, 09:23 PM
Title meant to say: Best discounts/sign up gifts available for joining the NRA?

I want to join the NRA because they do fight for our right to keep and bear arms and could really use every penny they can take. I've procrastinated long enough and want to get it done. I've owned my first firearm for less than a year so it's not like I've gone on for a long time without being a member, but I feel that each day I go owning a firearm and enjoying my second amendment right without being an NRA member is a problem, and frankly not fair. I know that certain websites and places offer a discount on the dues when signing up when you do it through them. E.g. discount, free bag or backpack, etc. What are the best deals that everyone knows of?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to join the NRA with a best discount?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
October 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
Associates membership

$10

No lame poorly written magazine and no voting privelages. Everything else included.

A fairly substantial portion of a yearly regular membership is for the magazine so its not like you're cheaping out the NRA too much on the activists parts

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

jawman
October 9, 2012, 09:44 PM
...No lame poorly written magazine and no voting privelages. Everything else included....

What are the voting privileges? And in a nutshell what constitutes "everything else"? Forgive my ignorance.

Edit: I read the benefits from the NRA website so I understand what everything else means, but I'm still unaware of what you mean by voting privileges.

BYJO4
October 9, 2012, 10:14 PM
The best deal at this time is to get a Life Member to sponsor you for a Life Time membership fee of $300.00 (this is normally $1000.00). A nice benefit of being a member is the monthly magazine which I enjoy and free basic firearm insurance.

jawman
October 9, 2012, 10:42 PM
What's the best magazine? Does anyone prefer one over the other two? Trying to figure out which one I would like the most and would get the most out of.
I'm thinking American Rifleman, as I don't hunt so American Hunter wouldn't be the best, and 1st Freedom, well I'm sure they all talk about freedoms and rights.

FROGO207
October 9, 2012, 11:00 PM
I get Rifleman myself. If you are a life member you get to vote for officers and board members at their elections by mail or in person at the annual meeting.

OilyPablo
October 9, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hey the crime report section in American Rifleman is worth it!

I did a multiyear deal, but next time I'll join for life. Just always make sure you opt out of junk mail, calls, and spam. They never bother me anymore.

theshephard
October 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Agree with BYJ04, but in addition once a life member they'll occasionally send you deals to upgrade your membership to endowment level or such for a discounted amount ($700 off, that kind of thing). Like you said, the organization can use your money and the 2A will need support long after we're dead and gone.

todayshighlights
October 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
If you're a veteran, active military, police officer, firefighter, EMT/paramedic you can join the NRA through their "Life of Duty" program for free.

HoosierQ
October 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Well you get the magazine when they can manage to get one in the mail to you:banghead: I know they are about the lobbying and more power to them. I just wish they'd hire somebody who knows how to circulate a periodical.

I just renew yearly.

wgsigs
October 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
I want to join the NRA because they do fight for our right to keep and bear arms and could really use every penny they can take.
If you are serious about this, then you need to give money to the NRA-ILA, which is the lobbying arm of the NRA. It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that NRA membership dues do not go towards that.

hso
October 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
Correct.

Donating the ILA is the best bang for the buck in advancing RKBA.

mdemetz
October 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
$10 discount thru ShootingUSA (http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/NRA_news/NRA_Membership/nra_membership.html)

DM~
October 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
If you want to be an NRA member, to help the "cause", why are you looking for the "best deal"?

It's the MONEY they are after to use to fight for our rights! Better deal for you, = less money for them! (them = us)

DM

hso
October 10, 2012, 11:04 PM
When you think about the cost of an annual subscription to the magazine I wonder if the Associate membership doesn't support them as well or better than the $35 a year full membership?

I'd rather see 10 people sign up for the Associates and donate to the ILA than 3 people sign up for the full NRA membership and not.

After all, the bigger the verifiable membership numbers the better the influence amongst the politicians.

jawman
October 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
I don't care about the money, I meant best deal as in best freebies, if anyone knows of any out there. I saw one somewhere a while back where they gave you a free NRA range bag (maybe it was a backpack), can't remember, but you could choose from camo or black. Thought that was pretty cool. I'm going to be a member regardless and will donate to NRA ILA but if there are deals out there for cool freebies then I figure hey why not?

Edit: I still plan to join, but check this out: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6461613#post6461613. Post# 311. Makes you wonder...

DM~
October 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
I don't care about the money, I meant best deal as in best freebies,

Well, they have to BUY those "freebies", no one donates them to them... SO, they end up with less money in the end.

DM

HoosierQ
October 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
I had no idea about that NRA-ILA thing. So the NRA is just the gun classes and that sort of thing? Because yes, I want that money to do some of both I guess. I sure want somebody talking RKBA to these darn congressmen! So none of my membership in the NRA has gone to promote this? It's all going to promote shooting sports, presumable to people who already support and exercise RKBA?

This is the kind of stuff that people that complain about the NRA complain about!

mdemetz
October 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
I don't care about the money, I meant best deal as in best freebies, if anyone knows of any out there. I saw one somewhere a while back where they gave you a free NRA range bag (maybe it was a backpack), can't remember, but you could choose from camo or black. Thought that was pretty cool. I'm going to be a member regardless and will donate to NRA ILA but if there are deals out there for cool freebies then I figure hey why not?
Yes in early '11 Bass Pro had and offer where you could sign up for $25, get a range bag, and a $25 gift card.

22-rimfire
October 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
I would suggest you get a 3-year membership at regular price. Seems the most cost effective approach for folks that can't afford a life membership and is an improvement over the one-year membership. Choose the magazine that best reflects your interests.

The Bass Pro thing is probably the best freebie I have seen. Most of the freebies are cheap junk and not worth really considering them as significant to joining.

Bill2e
October 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
I just saw the BPS deal on another forum

http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/299308-nra-membership.html

jawman
October 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
I just saw the BPS deal on another forum

http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/299308-nra-membership.html

Thanks for that. I just joined the NRA with a 2 year membership, and donated to the NRA ILA.

Although I do have some concerns:

Due to the area where I live, I would prefer if materials would not ship to my home address. I live in a flat and mail is often incorrectly delivered to the other doors. With my neighbors seeing that the guy who lives above them is an NRA member is like saying "Hey, I have firearms in my house" and I do not want my home being a target for theft when I am not there. I elected to receive the digital magazine subscription, however I would like to know what other materials are physically delivered to my address, as well as any other information I should be aware of given my concerns.

This is the main reason why I have not been an NRA member for the last couple of years, however I felt that it was not fair for me to own a firearm and enjoy my 2A rights without being a member of the NRA.

HKGuns
October 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
I felt that it was not fair for me to own a firearm and enjoy my 2A rights without being a member of the NRA.

Good on you....I wish all gun owners felt the same way.

coyotemoon
October 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
Taurus was offering a good deal. Buy a Taurus and get a one year NRA membership free.

Dnaltrop
October 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
On the "cheapest" way to join the NRA.

I Saw the $300 life memberships, and made a calculated, deliberate choice to pay the full $1000 ( albeit on Easy-pay).

When the goal is to support the 800 lb gorilla, and personal finances allow for doing so without great personal sacrifice, it's not about having the title of "NRA member", but putting my share of resources on the table as I am able.

$300 is better than nothing however, Do what you can.

chicharrones
October 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
I elected to receive the digital magazine subscription, however I would like to know what other materials are physically delivered to my address, as well as any other information I should be aware of given my concerns.

I went the digital magazine route around 4 years ago. I get almost everything via email due to that as opposed to when I got the magazine through the mail.

The only thing I got in the mail in that time was an envelope for the Easy Pay Life Membership payment that was due every quarter. That could have been avoided by setting up an automatic payment on my credit card, but I chose not to do that. The NRA might offer online payments, but I haven't investigated that.

akodo
October 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
You really have to consider the NRA as two halves of the same coin.

For starters you have the basic NRA which is about shooting, training, magazine, etc. This in itself doesn't do much battle with antis, and this is what every penny of your membership dues goes toward. Then you have the NRA-ILA which is out there talking to congressmen, paying for ads, etc. This money comes entirely through ILA specific donations.

However, these two halves are linked in one way. Membership levels. When that ILA spokesmen talks to that state congressmen he has a lot more sway if he can state 'there are 200,000 NRA members in your district' vs 'there are 50,000 NRA members in your district'

If you are not making a ton of money, get the $10 associates membership so your are 'counted'. This is what I do. This is also an angle that even the richest contributor to the ILA cannot compensate for.

jawman
October 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
I opted for the discounted 2 year membership for $50 (regularly $60), and then donated $25 (it's better than nothing) to the NRA-ILA. One day I'll become a life member, I'm still young though.

r1derbike
October 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Just joined for 25, got a free duffel, magazine, and tons of solicitation materials. Went ahead and got the digital edition of the magazine, so more money may line the pockets of the administration.

Sorry, that last comment was uncalled for...

bergmen
October 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
Another really good thing you can do is patronize those businesses that have an easy way to donate to the NRA/ILA when you place an order.

Midway is one of the best IMO with their "Round-Up" program. Very easy to offer a donation to the cause when filling out an order. They have collected and donated nearly 7.5 million dollars since 1992.

Outside of their "Round-Up" program, this is just a great place to do business, they have a huge inventory and very good prices.

Dan

bergmen
October 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
I opted for the discounted 2 year membership for $50 (regularly $60), and then donated $25 (it's better than nothing) to the NRA-ILA. One day I'll become a life member, I'm still young though.

Life memberships won't get any cheaper with time. I have let several life memberships slip by that I wish I had taken advantage of when they were a lot less than now(USPA - $100 then, now they are $1,000).

I am an NRA Life Member and would be glad to sponsor you if you wish. PM me.

Dan

jawman
October 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
How does the sponsorship work?

And yes midway is great for firearm gear, pricing, etc. Never knew about their round up program but that's pretty awesome

bergmen
October 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
How does the sponsorship work?

As of October 4th this program was still active. You need to call NRA at 1-800-672-3888. You will need my Life Member info, so PM me and I'll give it to you (I won't post it here).

Some have had to call a few times to get through to somebody who knows what they are doing but all have been successful so far. Being discussed here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=628207

Dan

2bfree
October 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
Just go to NRA.org/duffel and enter special offer cod Y21M224L . Good till 11/30, 25.00 1 yr, 70.00 3yr. Gets you the duffel and magazine.

chicharrones
October 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Another really good thing you can do is patronize those businesses that have an easy way to donate to the NRA/ILA when you place an order.

Midway is one of the best IMO with their "Round-Up" program. Very easy to offer a donation to the cause when filling out an order. They have collected and donated nearly 7.5 million dollars since 1992.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's an easy way to donate a bit extra. :cool:

chicharrones
October 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
And yes midway . . . Never knew about their round up program but that's pretty awesome

It's usually just a check box when finishing up an internet purchase. Click the check box or enter a different round up amount. Easy breezy. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to join the NRA with a best discount?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!