Who carries a sidearm when hunting?

PDA

BP Hunter
October 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
Just as the thread says - who carries a sidearm when hunting?

I always carry my my Glock 22 in an OWB holster whenever I hunt, be it small game or big game hunting.

For those who do carry a sidearm, how do you carry it if you wear bibs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who carries a sidearm when hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
October 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Coveralls, I put it in a coverall pocket. I carry my little 9mm pocket gun that I carry CCW every day, all day. Duck hunting, I leave it in the truck as I don't need it and I might get it wet. I drowned a cell phone some seasons ago by not leaving THAT in the truck. :banghead: I carry it just because it's my carry gun, no real hunting use for it, though I shoot an occasional pig in the trap with it. If I'm hunting with my front stuffer, I won't wanna shot a pig in the trap with it. Then I'll have to clean the front stuffer and I'm pretty lazy. :D Mainly, on the way home I'll usually stop for a coffee and I don't go in public unarmed.

MutinousDoug
October 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
I carry a Ruger Bearcat when big game hunting to shoot at grouse, snowshoes and squirrels when in season.
I don't wear bibs.

borrowedtime69
October 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
i dont wear bibs. I do carry a pistol with me of one caliber or another. Usually its my Ruger MK II 22/45, but if im in the mountains its the Ruger 9MM. I just like having an extra firearm in case of emergencies or special opertunities.

Dr.Rob
October 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
Almost always. The one exception has been dove hunting since that's mostly standing around a farm field with a bunch of other shotgun weilding friends.

When I'm big game hunting a 44 mag Vaquero rides cross draw in a flap type 1863 style holster.

I know of one guy thats a handgun hunter that wears a cross chest rig for a scoped handgun that fits under insulated bibs that he can still manage to draw from.

Another friend I know that favors bib overalls packs a .22 in a pocket. Recall it's an Iver Johnson version of a Walther ppk or tph.

threefortyduster
October 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
I don't wear bibs, but I do carry a sidearm when hunting. Most of the time it's my snub nose .357, but this year I may switch up to my Dad's new super blackhawk in .30 carbine.

Robert
October 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
I carry my 1911 owb when I hunt. But don't wear bib

CD8226
October 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Seldom wear bibs, but almost never hunt without a handgun present. Normally I carry my 624 S&W, but sometimes a Ruger Vaquero, both in 44 Cal. Depending on weather, or location, I will stagger loads, snakeshot & hp's.

VegasAR15
October 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
I carry my LCP in my pocket the same way I do in normal clothes at the office.

Saddlebag Preacher
October 10, 2012, 04:50 PM
If I'm wearing bibs, I have a Uberti Cattleman Sheriff's Model .45 with birdhead grips, no ejector. It fits perfect in my right pocket and five extra rounds in a spare pocket. But I carry it around the farm like that too if I have bibs on.

I do have a Glock 22 also, but for other reasons than my farm or hunting backup.

Esoxchaser
October 10, 2012, 05:41 PM
I never go anywhere without my trusty P238 in my pocket. Others may be added OWB or whatever, but the 238 is a part of me.

Arkansas Paul
October 10, 2012, 06:01 PM
I do. A 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, because I want to kill a deer with it.

Upstater
October 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
I always at least have my Kimber 1911 with me and sometimes I will also bring my .357 vaquero if the mood strikes me.

627PCFan
October 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
627 OWB loaded with 38 specials should I need the coup de gras, 180 gn Hardcast when in bear country.

SHR970
October 10, 2012, 08:48 PM
No bibs.

But I do carry my GP100 on my strong side hip in a Bianchi Accumold holster.

BBQLS1
October 10, 2012, 09:09 PM
1911, Snub .357 Mag

I recently got a 4" SP101 in .357 Mag and a Mountain Gun in .45 Colt that will get carried in the field.

HOWARD J
October 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
Always carried a GP-100 4" in 357 Mag

CaptHank
October 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Dan Wesson, 41 mag, 8" barrel, shoulder holster. I don't leave home, heading to the woods, without it.

Sleasys14
October 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
I take my p220 with me. Had to get a concealed permit to carry a pistol during hunting season here in West Virginia.

Sent from my MiPhone !

Centurian22
October 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
Wow I'm somewhat surprised at how many (seemingly all answers so far) carry while hunting. And my wife called me 'weird' for bringing the walther p22 with me into the woods in an OWB leather holster I made.

WNC Seabee
October 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
I do. Mostly because I can. I carry a 629 Muntain Gun in .44Mag, but loaded with hard cast at .44Spcl velocity.

LeonCarr
October 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
This season I will be carrying a Glock 22C (AKA The Volcano) .40 with handloaded 180 JHPs in Blade-Tech Kydex crossdraw under the Walls Blizzard-Pruf Coveralls.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Haxby
October 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
6" 44 Ruger Super Blackhawk in a crossdraw thumbbreak belt holster. But if I carry it, it's the only gun I carry. If I have a rifle. I don't need a handgun.

Don357
October 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
I generally carry a .45 FEG GKK in a belt holster, regardless of what I'm hunting. Even if I'm hunting squirrel's with my .22 rifle. There are a lot of wild hogs, or feral pigs, if you prefer, where I hunt, and I'm not wild about confronting one of them with a .22 rifle or a 12ga loaded with bird shot.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
October 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
I carry my Glock30 sf inside the waist or in a pocket holster when hunting . Kevin

JEB
October 11, 2012, 01:45 AM
For those who do carry a sidearm, how do you carry it if you wear bibs

for once i actually feel very qualified to answer this question! i always carry a sidearm while hunting, i always wear bibs (walls insulated bibs to be exact) and i even have a glock 22 that i have carried!

when i carried the G22 i used a longer heavy leather belt and a fobus holster. surprisingly, retention was never an issue, and i crawled and jumped through some pretty thick stuff.

i have since upgraded my hunting rig to this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173289&d=1349933472

7 1/2" ruger super blackhawk .44 magnum carried in a triple K Laramie holster and triple K Wyoming western drop belt. some folks will think i must be some sort of "dude" to go hunting with this rig but it is all very well thought out and it works very well for me. 1) i dont have a lot of pocket space left over with the other items i like to keep with me and i only carry ammo for my main gun in my vest, so the cartige loops are a very handy way for me to carry extra ammo and keep it easily seperated. 2) i am always wearing a jacket or coat of some sort and this low ride style of holster keeps my sidearm free and clear of the bottom of my coat and always within easy reach. 3) should the opportunity for a quick close range shot present itself, the draw is quick, smooth, and compleatly silent. once again retention is not an issue due to the long barrel and there is also a hammer tie-down should i feel the need to do so.

EDIT TO ADD: forgot to mention how i wear the whole thing. i ordered the belt just a couple of inches larger and wear it over my bibs. this way it is easy to remove when we go in for lunch and the cartidge loops are always accessable.

Rail Driver
October 11, 2012, 02:16 AM
I carry a pistol every day, nearly everywhere I go... why wouldn't I carry it when hunting too?

BigN
October 11, 2012, 02:59 AM
I always have a Smith 629 in a shoulder holster when hunting or trout fishing in the Adirondacks. I had a black bear follow me about 2 miles back to the car about 2 years ago. He didn't seem to want to bother me but I guess he was just curious. I've carried one ever since in case one wants to get more than curious.

41 Mag
October 11, 2012, 04:30 AM
I carry while on the farm working or when out hunting. I have one Bianchi Accumold holster on a wide stiff nylon belt which will accommodate my 7.5" Redhawks in 41,44, and 45 Colt and my 8.375" Raging Bull in 454 Cas. The belt is long enough to get around everything I wear including my insulated Carhart bib's.

I wear it weak side for cross draw as it is MUCH easier to get the revolvers out and on target for me that way, especially if riding in the truck, tractor, or on a 4 wheeler.

When I am in the country there is ALWAYS the chance to come across a sounder of hogs and I do not want to miss out on the opportunity to send something downrange after them.

sixgunner455
October 11, 2012, 05:45 AM
Always carry one, but I can't recall owning a set of bibs since I was 3 or 4.

critter
October 11, 2012, 06:19 AM
FA .454 in a shoulder holster.

AABEN
October 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
I cary my S&W 40

Pilot
October 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
I carry what I typically carry when not hunting. A CZ PCR 9MM.

X-Rap
October 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
Can't recall the last time I carried a sidearm when I had a rifle in my hand while BG hunting. The extra weight and bulk just never made sense to me. I often carry a fairly heavy rifle so that may be some of it. I do carry when going along as a non shooter as I will be this weekend, the gun I carry depends upon the need I may percieve be it small game which is something I don't shoot at while actually in the BG hunt or as protection. The actual gun varies from a 22 MI Ruger or 1911 conversion to a 66/686, 29, G32, or 454 Alaskan.

allaroundhunter
October 11, 2012, 11:20 AM
When dove hunting out on our farm I wear an M&P or Glock 19 on my hip in case we have a run in with feral dogs.

Sent from my HTC One X

1911 guy
October 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
I carry my normal CCW when hunting. If I need to protect myself from anything larger than a squirrel, the .22 I usually carry isn't going to cut it. Going black powder next week, one shot doesn't thrill me in a S.D. situation.

Ohio law allows for CCW when hunting, but positively forbids using it to shoot game animals unless that CCW is also legal to take game and is the only weapon carried. Mine's a 1911, so it's not legal to hunt deer during gun season and impractical for small game.

I *DO* wonder about the legality of popping a coyote with it, though. I expect to see a few where I'm headed. Have to check the laws before I head out Sunday evening.

JC98
October 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
Glock 23 OWB with an extra mag or 2 if I am not wearing bibs.
With bib's typically carry in a shoulder holster. or bring my .380 and just stick it in my pocket.

matrem
October 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
When carrying a bow or ML I always have a .357,.40 or .45 with me. Usually in an owb belt holster. Once in a great while not in the holster, in my backpack.
When carrying a shotgun or repeating rifle, a handgun is often with me but not always.

1911 guy wrote
"Ohio law allows for CCW when hunting, but positively forbids using it to shoot game animals unless that CCW is also legal to take game and is the only weapon carried."

As I understand it, that is correct as long as you don't conceal it.
Edit to add: 1911s are legal for deer in Ohio as long as it's a government model (5" bbl)

Kahr33556
October 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
357 sometimes but looking for a holster for my 9 because its lighter and I.m not hunting with it.

andrewdl007
October 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
I do not carry a sidearm when hunting, but that is mainly because the duck club I hunt at is not very remote and there are usually at least 5 other hunters plus staff in a relatively close area and I feel no need for the extra weight and no need to risk dropping a pistol in a lake. If I were to ever go hunting in the back woods, safari, etc. I would likely want to bring a .357 mag or something similar especially if hunting dangerous game, you never know when your bolt is going to jam...

25cschaefer
October 11, 2012, 07:05 PM
Montana issued a warning to bow hunters in our area to carry a side arm because of "agressive wolves" in the area.

I carry my HK

CountryUgly
October 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
No bibs. Glock G20 OWB. The great thing is I change nothing but my clothes when hunting. The G20 is not only my EDC it's my deer gun also :)

Mykey
October 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
I carry a Glock 36 in an OWB holster.

Captcurt
October 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
I carry sometimes, whenever the mood strikes. Luckily it is legal to carry concealed if licensed here even when bowhunting. But you can't use it to dispatch an animal until firearm season.

crazysccrmd
October 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
Glock 20sf owb, no bibs. Good enough for man or beast and gives me 16rds of one handed operation just in case.

grubbylabs
October 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
I carry a Smith 329 PD when ever I go out in the field for hunting. I have not had to worry about bibs since I have owned this gun since I have mostly hunted pre heavy snow, so some polar fleece lined pants have worked just fine so far. But with a 4" barrel it is easily carried in a large pocket.

interlock
October 12, 2012, 04:27 AM
in the uk sidearms are a bit dificult to get. I have a ppk but am not allowed to carry it whilst hunting for hunting with.... but often i will have it with me becuase i have been practising with it. I kill deer (and other animals) with it from road accidents. It is excellent for a 5-10 ft coup de grace. I dont wear a bib (because in the uk we are careful where we put our bullets).
In germany i understand that hunters have to carry a pistol.

Renegade Ziggy
October 12, 2012, 04:37 AM
Due to the horrible coyote and bear problem here in KY, I always have my Glock 22 on my side while hunting, while wearing bibs I try to wear a shoulder holster.

Sniper66
October 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
This year Kansas made it legal to carry a sidearm when hunting, so now I do, mostly just for fun, since I feel no threat from anything. Often, I will end the hunt with a bit of target practice with my Browning Buckmark or my GSG 1911. Shooting at floating objects down a creek is really good practice and a lot of fun.

buck460XVR
October 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
Wow I'm somewhat surprised at how many (seemingly all answers so far) carry while hunting. And my wife called me 'weird' for bringing the walther p22 with me into the woods in an OWB leather holster I made.

My sidearm is generally my primary weapon when hunting. If using a long gun or shotgun as a primary, they will suffice for any threat in the woods I hunt, thus the carrying of a sidearm also is just extra weight. Since most of my hunting holsters are chest/shoulder rigs, the wearing of bibs has no affect on their use.

TexasPatriot.308
October 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
here in Texas, it may be cold as can be in the morning, then warm up fast so bibs are a great clothing item...but back to sidearms, I always carry a revolver in at least .357 mag, preferably .44 or .45 colt and when snakes are out, got at least 2 cylinders with CCI ratshot.

RevGeo
October 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
I don't generally wear bibs. I hunt with a single-shot rifle so I carry a 6" Mod 19 S&W in a regular old holster on my right hip as a back up or for emergencies. I generally load it with 150gr cast bullets and 2400 powder in .38 Spl. cases. They are somewhat hotter than .38 +P but not quite up to full bore .357 Mag loads. I'm really glad there are no rattlesnakes here in the far N. Idaho panhandle - it's kind of strange as I can go 40 miles south, east or west and find rattlers, but there are none around here.

George

black_powder_Rob
October 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
I have my CHL and usually carry my S&W642.

montanaoffroader
October 14, 2012, 01:00 AM
When bowhunting, a Ruger .44 or Colt .357 depending on where I'm hunting. During rifle season it varies, sometimes one of the magunums, sometimes a .22, sometimes no sidearm at all. Just depends on where I'm at and how much other stuff I'm packing.

tahoe2
October 15, 2012, 01:23 AM
I carry a 41 mag Blackhawk in a cross chest holster or a 41 mag S&W Mtn Gun in a hip holster along with my rifle or shotgun, when big game hunting. I have heard of a bear approaching a gut pile while the hunter is still in the vicinity dragging his deer away. Kind of spooky if you don't have a bear tag. The consensus is; the bear heard the shot, and arrived in a timely manner, for some fresh grub!

ghoster
October 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
I carry a S/W 460 loaded with 300gn 454's. :what:

Sometimes I carry a long gun if I want the easy way to hunt :rolleyes:

When hunting smaller game I like to use my (32 cal.) muzzeloader but I take my 9mm or 45 to try head shots if I get close enough.

ZigZagZeke
October 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
I carry a stainless S&W M66-2, in .357 mag whenever I'm in the woods or on the ranch. The lions are thick around here. The habitat is perfect for them:

http://www.zzzeke.com/WapinitaCanyon-edgesouth2.jpg

rugerman
October 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
I ALWAYS carry a handgun, hunting or not! I used to hunt a lot with a handgun, 44mag when deer hunting, .357 mag or 22 when quail hunting, now its usually my Keltec pf9 which is my carry piece.

Citadel99
October 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
I almost always bring my S&W 627 with me hunting. 3 rounds of. 357 for anything big and close, 3 rounds of light 38 special for fun or dispatching a wounded animal without doing much damage, and two rounds of 38 snake shot. It's like carrying an extra three guns with me.

We all like to drop a deer, nilgai, or hog dead in its tracks but it doesn't always happen. Trying to dispatch an animal at close range with a scoped high powered rifle is not advisable.

Mark

mbt2001
October 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
After an incident with a Javalina and a bull, I always carry a sidearm now. It ranges from a .22 to a .357 or .44. It mostly depends on what I am hunting, where, and the kind of rifle I have.

GE-Mini-Gun
October 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
S&W 29 Classic Hunter...what I've hunted with for close to 20 years.

desidog
October 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I would...but, "Possession of a firearm while archery hunting is prohibited."

/The joys of Connecticut!

witchhunter
November 1, 2012, 12:04 AM
S & W 651 .22 magnum in a pancake holster, belted or in my backpack. always.

Gtscotty
November 1, 2012, 06:39 AM
When out in the woods I almost always carry a sidearm. The property I hunt on is also home to bears, coyotes, hogs and the occasional roaming pack of wild dogs. I most commonly carry my USP 40, but sometimes I tote the SR22 because its so light and also accurate enough for shots on close squirrels. Since deer season started I've been carrying a S&W 629, but only because I'd like to take a deer or hog with it this season.

Fat_46
November 1, 2012, 10:48 AM
It has been a S&W 625 in 45 ACP for a few years. It might be again, but I also have a 686 Plus that was recently acquired... I love freedom of choice!

AABEN
November 1, 2012, 02:36 PM
S & W 41 mag.

a-sheepdog
November 6, 2012, 06:41 PM
As a rule, I always have some sort of side arm and caliber depends on where I am hunting. Texas, generally a Ruger 22 mag revolver, Montana, usually a S&W 44 mag.

shaggy430
November 8, 2012, 08:35 PM
I always carry my LCP. Sometimes I'll carry a Taurus .44 magnum, a Colt 1911, or a Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum. We've got some unsavory characters that live close to our hunting lease. The meth task force once approached us and told us they suspected someone cooking meth in the woods one summer. Most times we'll keep a 12 gauge loaded with buck in the truck for the occasional coyote.

27hand
November 8, 2012, 10:49 PM
Yes I do.
In archery, i generally have either a glock 23 or a Kahr P9 Covert unless I'm rifle hunting, in which case I always have my Ruger Redhawk.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who carries a sidearm when hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!