Alliant Power Pistol

PDA

ares338
October 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just I quick question. Is it advisable to use Alliant Power Pistol Powder on cast bullets such as a 230 gr round nose?

If you enjoyed reading about "Alliant Power Pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joed
October 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
I used it and never had a problem. Don't know about others though.

Blackrock
October 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Load it all the time in my .45ACP for cast, plated and jacketed.

ares338
October 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys. I thought it would be OK but I am brand new at this so I tend to ask a lot of questions? This is going to be interesting as I am reloading using a Lee Classic hand loader and I am wondering about a start point for the amount of powder.

tyeo098
October 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45%20ACP&Weight=230&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

CTRL+F "power pistol"

230gr FMJ 7.2 gr Power Pistol 895 fps 1.19"OAL Fed 150 Alliant
Suggested starting load: 6.5 gr

Pressure: 20,000

For the record, I use 5gr of Bullseye.

Josh45
October 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
I have used it for 230 Gr LRN in my .45 ACP, And that was the last time. Way to much snap for me.

jr_roosa
October 10, 2012, 09:22 PM
I find that power pistol runs hot in general, but I like it for .45ACP just fine. Go easy and work up slowly, and a chronograph helps a lot.

-J.

Steve C
October 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
Power Pistol is the canister version of Bullseye 2 which was developed for the military to load the 9mm. When data was first published there was an obvious lack of lead bullet information for several years.

Like jr roosa wrote I too find PP to run a bit hot burning for lead. I like PP for use in the 9mm with jacketed bullets and find it works well in high pressure cartridges. I have tried it in the .45 acp and the .38 spl. and find those cartridges do not have high enough pressure to make PP work well. Even with top loads in those calibers there is carbon scouring on the outside of the case and velocities where never up to advertised. I keep PP on my shelf for use in the 9mm with jacketed bullets only though I believe it would be just as good in the .40 S&W. When loading lead bullets I prefer Unique, W231, Red Dot, Green Dot across the board.

CZ57
October 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
Yeah, you can use PP but there are much better choices like the clean burning Ramshot ZIP. data at www.ramshot.com ;)

ljnowell
October 11, 2012, 01:53 AM
I use power pistol for jacket 45acp loads all the time, thats my go to for that application. As far as lead bullets, I have tried it in 45acp with lead bullets at various weights and hardness, and it just wasnt "ideal." It worked and it made accurate loads. They all gave me a little more leading than I want out of a handload though. Ditto that same observation in 38/357 loads. I much prefer AA#2 for target loads with lead bullets in 38 or 45acp.

ares338
October 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to exchange it for a more appropriate powder. I want to start off safely. Thanks again!

glockky
October 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
It will work but unless you are wanting max velocity I would go with a faster burning powder. I load power pistol with my 200gr 45's but its pretty snappy recoil.

I load my lead bullets with AA#2, W231, Tite Group, with Tite group being my favorite for lead bullets.

ares338
October 12, 2012, 01:54 AM
The technical service manager at Alliant answered my email about load data for hard cast bullets and I think I am going to start at 6 grains of Power Pistol and see what shakes. Recoil doesn't bother me as I am used to shooting 357 magnum out of my Ruger LCR. I am going to shoot this in my Colt Series 70 MK IV Gold Cup National Match.

ArchAngelCD
October 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to exchange it for a more appropriate powder. I want to start off safely. Thanks again!
If you're looking for a good all around handgun powder give W231/HP-38 a try. I use almost nothing other than that powder for the .45 Auto. I think it's a match made in heaven.

BUT, there are a lot of good powders for use in the .45 Auto. Like said above AA#2 is good and Bullseye is the original .45 Auto powder. AA#5 was specifically designed for use in the .45 Auto. Unique also works well but it's a little dirty for me and it doesn't meter well. Ramshot Zip is also a good choice like said above.

I guess the rather long point I'm trying to agree with is, there are plenty of better choices than Power Pistol and I'm glad you decided to use a more appropriate powder. (try W231 or HP-38 which are the same exact powders according to Hodgdon)

If you enjoyed reading about "Alliant Power Pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!