White rice for tumbling media

PDA

awfulkanawful
October 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
I just wanted to throw this out there. The only tumbling media Ive ever used is.......WHITE RICE ! It cleans up even nasty brass quite good. The trick to it is DONT use any liquid cleaners or polishers.......things WILL get sticky !
Now it wont make your brass real shiny and brand new looking , but it gives it a very nice clean matte look that is good enough for me. Also use a dryer sheet cut into 4 pieces as this helps keep it clean longer. Why spend a bunch of $$$ on media and such , when all you need is white rice and 1.5 hrs in a tumbler ???

If you enjoyed reading about "White rice for tumbling media" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
October 10, 2012, 11:28 PM
You don't have to spend a lot of $$$ on media if you buy bulk corn cob and it will make your brass shiny, usually in less than 1.5 hours.

awfulkanawful
October 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
I dont know all about store bought tumblers , but mine was made from a tupperware container , battery drill , and a couple inline skate wheels. It works good enough that when someone sees my reloads they cant believe it cost me.......White Rice.....lol I think the corncobs would take alot longer in my garage rig.....lol

oldandslow
October 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
And the best part of using white rice in the tumbler is that you can eat it when you're through tumbling- that's tough to do with corn cob, kitty litter or stainless steel pins.

best wishes- oldandslow

PS- for the humor challenged- it's not a good idea to actually eat the rice after tumbling.

JLDickmon
October 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
I told you guys you didn't need tumblers and media when I joined.

put you brass in an empty coffee can and cover with kitty litter..
brew a pot of tea
put the tea in the coffee maker
add the coffee from the can
brew the coffee

while it's brewing, slam a 2liter of Diet Mt Dew
drink the pot of coffee

grab onto the coffee can, & hold it at arms length...

when you quit shaking enough to open the can, you'll have the cleanest, shiniest brass you've ever had..

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
I just wanted to throw this out there. The only tumbling media Ive ever used is.......WHITE RICE ! It cleans up even nasty brass quite good. The trick to it is DONT use any liquid cleaners or polishers.......things WILL get sticky !
Now it wont make your brass real shiny and brand new looking , but it gives it a very nice clean matte look that is good enough for me. Also use a dryer sheet cut into 4 pieces as this helps keep it clean longer. Why spend a bunch of $$$ on media and such , when all you need is white rice and 1.5 hrs in a tumbler ???

NO! One does not need to spend alot of cash on tumbling media. Corn cob media costs approx. $ .88 a lb., not sure how that compares to the price of rice per lb. but hey its shipped right to your door, no gas expense getting it, and if you order the correct size there will be none crammed into the flash hole or primer pocket.

Years ago I used rice for a cleaning medium and believe me 20/40 corn cob works much better. Actually don't believe me, but it still does work better.

Here's a link to where to get it.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

No I'm not affiliated with this company in any way, heck I'm retired now for over a decade, life is good.

ambidextrous1
October 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
20/40 corn cob Blast Media is also available from Grainger, with offices & warehouses in major cities. They have it in stock or can get it for you quickly, and there's no shipping cost.

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
Grainger and Drillspot are the same company under different names.

I believe Grainger is for business accounts and Drillspot is for the retail trade over the internet. Might be wrong on this tho.

jblackfish
October 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
NO! One does not need to spend alot of cash on tumbling media. Corn cob media costs approx. $ .88 a lb., not sure how that compares to the price of rice per lb. but hey its shipped right to your door, no gas expense getting it, and if you order the correct size there will be none crammed into the flash hole or primer pocket.

Years ago I used rice for a cleaning medium and believe me 20/40 corn cob works much better. Actually don't believe me, but it still does work better.

Here's a link to where to get it.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

No I'm not affiliated with this company in any way, heck I'm retired now for over a decade, life is good.
How dusty is this media compare to the "store-bought" (Lyman, for example) stuff. Some bulk media will raise a west Texas dust storm in your cleaning area!

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
I do not have that problem at all. If a person does have dust more than what they think they should have its an easy fix, put a couple of teaspoons of mineral sperits or paint thinner in the media or add a cut up USED dryer sheet.

Also I use a Berry tumbler with an enclosed top/lid.

dragon813gt
October 11, 2012, 10:45 AM
Harbor Freight sells walnut shell blasting media for $1 a pound. I'll stick with that over rice. I know rice works but it costs more money.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
Harbor Freight sells walnut shell blasting media for $1 a pound. I'll stick with that over rice. I know rice works but it costs more money.

Thats still higher in cost than DrillSpot and you have to go get it at $3.50 to $4.00 a gal for fuel.

Drail
October 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
You have to love the irony of China buying up the world's supply of copper and lead while we clean our brass with....rice.:scrutiny: Use corn cob. Because it's "American". Rice is for eatin. Corn cob are for polishin.

1911 guy
October 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
Corn cob are for polishin.

And certain outhouse duties. Or should I say dooties?
Heh. I'l be quiet and finish my coffee now.

wgaynor
October 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
I've always had problems with Corn cob being stuck in the bottle neck cases. Rice is easier to remove.

Rice is all I use anymore (with a dryer sheet torn into strips thrown in to collect crud).

rsrocket1
October 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
Dryer sheets are a good idea. It traps the soot and Lead Styphnate (primer dust) rather than having it fly around while you sift or stick to the media if you use mineral spirits or Nu Finish on the media. If you want to polish, do it in 2 steps.

If you want lead poisoning, go ahead and eat the lead coated rice after tumbling.

As for me, crushed walnut at $17 for a 50 pound bag at the feed store.

mdi
October 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
My experience with rice was less than acceptable. Tumbled .44 Magnum brass. Within an hour my rice media started to become rice flour. No problem, just add dryer sheets. Hmmm, so-so results. What I wound up with was a half cup of rice flour, a rice powder caked dryer sheet, and 150 semi-clean .44 Magnum brass with a rice grain stuck in 75% of the flash holes. Dried coffee grounds worked as well for me...:rolleyes:

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
I've always had problems with Corn cob being stuck in the bottle neck cases. Rice is easier to remove.

Rice is all I use anymore (with a dryer sheet torn into strips thrown in to collect crud).

Obviously you're using a corn cob grit way to large then, see post #6. Will solve your problem.

silicosys4
October 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
you only have to buy stainless media once when you wet tumble....$50 for a lifetime supply.

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
you only have to buy stainless media once when you wet tumble....$50 for a lifetime supply.

And how much for the tumbler?

At my age I'm not investing in another tumbling set up. Lifetime isn't that long.

medalguy
October 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yes, but that $50 worth of SS media will only clean about 50 rifle cases and is a lot of work doing 5,000 cases. The cob is easier, faster, and works in any tumbler.

jblackfish
October 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
I do not have that problem at all. If a person does have dust more than what they think they should have its an easy fix, put a couple of teaspoons of mineral sperits or paint thinner in the media or add a cut up USED dryer sheet.

Also I use a Berry tumbler with an enclosed top/lid.
My tumbler has a lid - they probably all do, but the media and cases are usually separated in an open roll cage gizmo,thus the dust question.

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
My tumbler has a lid - they probably all do, but the media and cases are usually separated in an open roll cage gizmo,thus the dust question.

Many tumblers have holes/vents in the lid. My seperator is nothing more than a wire colander that I purchased at WalMart for less than $2.00. Can't beat it while using 20/40 grit corn cob.

Try the mineral sperits or cut up used dryer sheets.

Cosmoline
October 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
when you quit shaking enough to open the can, you'll have the cleanest, shiniest brass you've ever had..

LOLS

But you know, you could actually put a sealed pot full of brass in your backpack and run around for exercise.

ColtPythonElite
October 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
If you don't have a lid, put a shower cap on the bowel....My decades old Lyman 600 bowel came with such a cover as a factory piece.

jcwit
October 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
If you don't have a lid, put a shower cap on the bowel....My decades old Lyman 600 bowel came with such a cover as a factory piece.

Some of the tumblers come with a lid with holes/vents in them. Not everyone thinks of putting a shower cap on their tumbler. I know I sure wouldn't, we don't even have a shoer cap.

coyotemoon
October 12, 2012, 05:13 PM
Pet smart and buy Lizard Littter=ground walnut shells. 10lbs about $7 bucks

orionengnr
October 14, 2012, 01:52 AM
I tried white rice when I started handloading...
Worked "okay", but I ended up with a number of grains stuck in flash holes, and the brass didn't look as good as it could have.

So I dumped it, bought some corn cob and walnut shell, mixed them 50/50 and left the rice for eating.

YMMV.

bds
October 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
If white rice is all you can get, it may work to clean your dirty cases somewhat but not for long and may not end up being cheaper than walnut/corn. I did test white rice as a tumbling media but found it only worked OK just for a few batches and I needed to replace the rice in the bowl to keep cases from getting smeared with grayish residue on the case surfaces (especially if you shoot lead bullets) - yuck!.

Crushed walnut/ground corn cob work much faster/better and last longer (cheaper than rice in the long run). Use with NuFinish polish and walnut/corn will do an even better job of polishing the cases (No, you CANNOT use any liquid polish with white rice so no hope of "mirror" polish with rice).

You can get crushed walnut from pet stores (like Petsmart, Petco, even Walmart) and Harbor Freight carries them in two grit sizes. I prefer the fine grit (24) (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html) over coarse grit (12) (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html) as media won't get stuck in flash holes and seems to clean/polish faster.

Because walnut media lasts so much longer (walnut is so hard, it actually don't "wear" - just gets dirty), even $23/25 lbs HF walnut media will turn out cheaper than $15/25 lbs white rice because you will have to replace the rice more often.

If you want brilliant polish, corn cob and NuFinish will do an excellent job and costs less than walnut ($34/40 lbs shipped) - http://www.drillspot.com/machining/finishing-supplies/pneumatic-blasting-media/

BTW, Powder Valley (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/) sells corn cob for $18/40 lbs (Go to Powder Valley > Maintenance > PVI > Ground Corn Cob).

October 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
Just for anyone's information, I did order the blast media from drillspot a while ago and it is a lot of media. I filled up (2) 5 gallon buckets completely and had plenty enough left to overfill (2) Berry's tumblers with some spilt on the floor after adding brass. It is probably enough for 3 tumblers full. It doesn't get stuck in flasholes at all and polishes to a fine shine in an hour or less when new, about 2 hours when used quite well. I think I paid $26/40 lbs. with free shipping. Good stuff, highly recommended.

GLOOB
October 15, 2012, 08:11 PM
Sounds like the OP built a rotary tumbler. No wonder. White rice is too heavy for a vibratory tumbler. The cases end up floating on top of the rice. Might work ok for tumbling loaded rounds, if you're into that.

FROGO207
October 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
Good end use for the rice if you do insist on using it is to feed the mice that get into your house. Lead poisoning without having to load any ammo.:D Lots of years ago I tried rice in a homemade tumbler and went back to steel wool and spinning them on a tight fitting dowel using a small hand drill. If I bothered to clean them at all that is.:scrutiny: Now wet SS media is the only way to go.

AJBarney
October 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Don't you need hair to have a shower cap? :o

jblackfish
October 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
Coming from a person who uses old t-shirts as gun cleaning material (patches and cleaning cloths) I guess I don't understand why people work so hard to come up with some other type of media than the walnut shell/corncob stuff that works so well. Is it really THAT expensive? I'd as soon throw a sack of sand in my tumbler as a bag of rice. When I consider all the expensive items surrounding the shooting/hunting industry, brass cleaning media doesn't rate very high on my list - nearly everything I can think of is more expensive. Do these same people hunt wearing flour sacks that they've "camo-painted" in their garage into the woods and do they kill their prey with spears and/or bats that they've carved from tree limbs? No. They buy expensive camo and shoot with the best firearm they can afford.

I think American ingenuity is great but rice for cleaning media? Rice is food. The only good thing I've heard of that rice can be used for other than eating that made sense to me is putting your cell phone in a bag of it after you drop it in the water - remove the battery 1st of course.

No offense to anyone who wants to try it but rice sounds like it doesn't have any better purpose other than to "feed the mighty hunter" until he puts meat on the table to go with it. ;)

wardor
October 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
Yes, but that $50 worth of SS media will only clean about 50 rifle cases and is a lot of work doing 5,000 cases. The cob is easier, faster, and works in any tumbler.

In the Thumler's Model B, you can easily clean 6# of brass in 1 cycle. 6# is a good bit of brass, even for rifle.

silicosys4
October 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Thumlers tumbler is $179 new. Lifetime warrenty. It holds 250 large rifle cases. Stainless steel media costs $40/5 lbs, 5 lbs lasts a lifetime. I'll only ever buy 1 other $40 lb bag of media again in my life, to replace lost media...while you guys are out buying corncob and walnut regularly, and enough rice to feed your family for months :)
I would seriously doubt its more work, as it takes literally 5 minutes of actual work to clean 1k pistol cases. You put the brass in the tumber, screw the lid on, turn on the tumbler, wait 2 hours (you can barely hear it, by the way) then remove brass and use a colander to separate the media out. Lay the brass down on a towel to dry. No walnut or corn dust. No little bits of media everywhere.
I don't mind letting my brass sit out on my benchtop for a few days to dry.

Sometimes you have to spend money to save money was my motto.

AJBarney
October 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
Rice is great in the bottom of a salt shaker....

wgaynor
October 16, 2012, 10:15 PM
blackfish,

There are many people that use rice for many reasons. Knock it all you want, doesn't change the fact it works for many reasons.

I have a few hundred pounds of it stored. I think that it would be a cheaper alternative and readily available in my situation. Plus, it does work. It all depends on what you want your end product to look like. My goal, is to produce good bullets. I don't care about it being so brightly polished that it outshines the sun.

jcwit
October 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
Yes rice works. A yugo gets you from point A to point B also.

Other media works much better be it corn cob, crushed walnut or stainless steel pins. Just as a quality auto gets you from point A to point B in much more comfort.

But if one wishes to use rice, more power to them.

osprey176
October 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
I used rice for years when I worked for a grocery chain.Any time a bag got damaged,I bought it cheap. The only problem was the kernels got stuck in the primer pockets and had to be cleaned out.The solution I learned was to use short grain rice instead of the regular long grain.Short grain is fatter,and does not fit in the primer pockets.I haven't tried it in my vibrator but may have to.

If you enjoyed reading about "White rice for tumbling media" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!