The kestrel has landed

PDA

rcmodel
October 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
Here is another one I made years ago.

* Handle is the old Ivory paper Micarta block carved with a Dremel tool. Surprisingly, it fits the hand like a glove.

* Taxidermy eyes.

* Sterling silver sandwiched guard with file work in the center plate and twisted silver wire at base of handle.

* 5 1/8" dougle-edge blade was a carbon steel blank from Jantz or somebody? Pretty good steel anyway.

Pretty worthless really, but it is fun to look at.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Falcon1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Knife2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Falcon2.jpg

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "The kestrel has landed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Valkman
October 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Nice work rc!

Derek Zeanah
October 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
Quite nice.

hso
October 11, 2012, 05:05 PM
That's great carving and the guard looks mighty nice as well. I can see how it would be comfortable.

Isn't the old Westinghouse "Ivory" micarta great stuff?!

Saakee
October 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
That would make a great cane handle knife, maybe sitting on a suitably knotted looking stick?

rcmodel
October 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
Isn't the old Westinghouse "Ivory" micarta great stuff?! Yes it was!
I have tried several iterations of newer Ivory Micarta over the years, and none of it ages out like the original Westinghouse stuff.

rc

bikerdoc
October 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
A Serious wow factor going on there.

bannockburn
October 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
rc

Pretty cool looking knife!

To me it certainly has a touch of dramatic styling to it, like it belonged on the set of the classic Bogart movie, "The Maltese Falcon".

Mikee Loxxer
October 12, 2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks for showing us. I admire the skill!

JimStC
October 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
Daggone, I got drool on my keyboard!
Very nice RC. You sure pull out some cool stuff.

Jim

hso
October 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
I know bladesmiths that make great blades, but haven't developed the skill for the guard/grip, that would love to have someone like you collaborate with them to complete a piece.

rcmodel
October 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
The thing that bothers me is poor quality sheaths coming from some of the real good knife makers.

I suppose they can't find anyone to make really good fitted sheaths?
Or can't put in the time to do it themselves?
Or pay someone else to do it who can?

But it brings me down to see a really high quality handmade knife in a Cub Scout project sheath with poor fit, and poorer stitching.

And I see it a lot!

rc

hso
October 15, 2012, 12:35 AM
Yep

Most custom knife makers simply don't try because they respect the talent and skill of the people who are their equals in making sheaths.

The guys that think they have to put a sheath with a knife and then stitch something together badly are doing themselves a disservice.

BUT, RC, the pictures of your sheaths show a great skill and talent and most knife makers simply don't have the same skill and talent for making sheaths that you do. Why assume that someone talented in forging or grinding a blade and making a custom knife would have the complete package to include sheath-making? Heck, should everyone be equally talented and skilled at engraving, inlay, wire, forging, damascus, steel making? I know of very few GIANTs that could/can do it all.

rbernie
October 15, 2012, 09:05 AM
Why assume that someone talented in forging or grinding a blade and making a custom knife would have the complete package to include sheath-making?Dunno about that, but I would certainly assume that they know how to ask somebody else to make their sheaths. A quality sheath helps complete the package and makes the tool useful.

It's hard to value a carry knife that can't be carried.

hso
October 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
The smarter one's do.

If you enjoyed reading about "The kestrel has landed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!