Would you shoot a 98% Python?

PDA

ColtPythonElite
October 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
I certainly have no problem doing it....I just picked up this 98% blue 6". It barely had a turn line and appeared to have been shot very little. I put a nice sized pile ammo thru it today. FWIW, they weren't .38 Specials,either.:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173309&stc=1&d=1350003201

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you shoot a 98% Python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
October 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
Cool... that's what they're for.

guyfromohio
October 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
You've essentially destroyed it.

Might as well sell it now. To me, please.

JSNAPS
October 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
I think you ruined it. Ship it to my FFL at once. It will need to go under extensive testing that could take years. I will be glad to take it off your hands.

:D

highpower
October 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
I would never shoot a 98% Python....I would, however shoot one that was worn down to 97%.http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/Python/i-MKX8xc3/0/XL/IMG1398-XL.jpg

SaxonPig
October 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
I shoot all my guns. I have had many nib handguns come into my possession. None stayed that way very long.

As for Pythons specifically, these get used regularly.

http://www.fototime.com/CD60409C0D38CBB/standard.jpg

WardenWolf
October 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Guns are made to shoot. It's not doing anyone any good sitting in a box. You're just depriving yourself of fun and the value of the money you spent on it. Enjoy your beautiful gun. May she serve you well.

I've had a few "safe queens" come into my hands. I shoot them whenever I can. Shooting them doesn't hurt them, and it gives me joy.

pbearperry
October 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
Shoot it like you stole it.

Certaindeaf
October 11, 2012, 10:01 PM
Lots of folk put $1000,000 on red just for the fun of it. The examples are endless.

Dang right I'd shoot that thing. It's exceedingly cheap entertainment/provides utility over a very long period of time compared to many things.

OilyPablo
October 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
So tell me this. How much different is shooting a Python from a Trooper Mk III?

mavracer
October 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'd shoot so many unique powered cast bullets through it, you'll swear it's stainless they'll be so much soot on it.:what:

ColtPythonElite
October 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
So tell me this. How much different is shooting a Python from a Trooper Mk III?
The average Python has a much smoother trigger in both SA and DA than the average MKIII.

kozak6
October 12, 2012, 07:40 AM
I can't afford to buy guns I can't shoot.

If I wanted to buy collectables to lock up in a safe, I would buy ones with less recreational potential.

snooperman
October 12, 2012, 07:47 AM
Mine have blue and wear marks after much use over 40 years and that is a good thing. I bought them and I intend to use and and enjoy them before handing them over to the grand children.

OilyPablo
October 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
The average Python has a much smoother trigger in both SA and DA than the average MKIII.

Thanks for that. I have MKIII Trooper that I basically restored the inner moving parts (got it for a song) - which amazingly had been shot very little, yet someone butchered the hand and didn't put the trigger spring in correctly. Anyhow, I put lighter Wolff springs in and stoned the appropriate areas, etc, per Kuhnhausen and it shoots amazingly well. And so accurate. SA action is like a dream and DA is smoother and easier than any DA I've shot. If a Python is better than that I better start saving my money.

Peter M. Eick
October 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
Yes!

http://eickpm.com/picts/python_2400.jpg

But only with hot 2400 reloads! (50 shots 15 yrds offhand).

DM~
October 12, 2012, 10:46 AM

NO, i'd get rid of it to someone who was willing to pay big $ for it, and buy the superior OLD origional 357 Magnum!

The quality of an origional 357mag. blows the Pythons right out of the water!

DM

460Kodiak
October 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
Yes I would. I'd also drive a 100% vintage mustange. They are meant to shoot. If you want an investment you don't touch, buy a painting by Remberant.

Jim Watson
October 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
I shot mine starting at 100% and applying holster wear down to about 90%.

ApacheCoTodd
October 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yup!

CraigC
October 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
With rare exception, Colt SAA serial number 1 being an extreme example, there are no guns "too nice to shoot". Although I have seen some that were too valuable to shoot based on rarity, that I'd prefer to liquidate in favor of several alternatives. Like the NIB S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector Target model .44Spl a guy was given over on TFL a few years ago. More rare and valuable than a Triple Lock Target. Worth seven to eight thousand dollars, I'd rather sell it in favor of a handful of more common 1950 models. But $1200 Pythons??? Shoot them all day long.

Guillermo
October 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
Would I shoot a 98% Python?

Every time I go to the range (darned near anyway)

MrBorland
October 12, 2012, 03:01 PM

I certainly have no problem doing it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

Texan Scott
October 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
:confused: Yes.

adelbridge
October 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
if you bought it as investment dont shoot it.

ColtPythonElite
October 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
I bought cheap enough to shoot and still make a few bucks if hard times hit.

rswartsell
October 12, 2012, 08:07 PM
Yup, I surely would.

Esoxchaser
October 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
An unused gun may as well be melted down to make something useful out of.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
October 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
I had a 2 1/2" from 1969. It was as nice as a used pistol could be. I had no problem shooting it. It was actually nice to shoot.

Bush Pilot
October 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't shoot it. Put it in the safe so some family member can sell it to some SOB for 10c on the dollar so HE can enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor after you're gone.

KenW.
October 12, 2012, 11:39 PM
People like me don't operate museums; I don't own guns I don't shoot.

Coal Dragger
October 12, 2012, 11:43 PM
I would shoot that revolver until it went out of time and the finish was worn. Then I'd sent it in for action work, and refinishing and do it again.

skidder
October 12, 2012, 11:43 PM
I would definitely shoot it!

Put it in the safe so some family member can sell it to some SOB for 10c on the dollar so HE can enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor after you're gone.

You just described 3 of my sisters. Beware :uhoh:, I think they might looking for a new man in your area. :D

CajunBass
October 13, 2012, 12:38 AM
Probably not, but I don't mind if you do.

I've got several guns I've never fired, or maybe fired a half dozen rounds through. It doesn't seem to hurt them any.

ultramag44
October 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Unless a gun is 'unfired, new in box' (not fired since factory testing), then yes, shoot it!

Shoot a used, 98% gun, keep it clean and it's still worth what you paid for it. In 2 years you could (if you were of that mind) sell it @ a profit.

Buy a new car, truck or computer. Use it or don't use it, really doesn't matter and you know what it's worth next month? Phhhhftttttt!

MachIVshooter
October 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
I'd shoot it. Guns are an investment, but not the kind you expect a return on. They may appreciate over many years if unused or barely used, but not at the same rate as inflation drives up the cost of everything else.

TonyT
October 13, 2012, 12:34 PM
Would you drive a nearly new Mercedes?uns aars were me to be used. I don't own any which I do not use.

wgsigs
October 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, I would shoot it, but then I am not a "safe queen" gun collector.

Unless a gun is 'unfired, new in box' (not fired since factory testing), then yes, shoot it!

Heck, I would shoot that one, too, but I would never have to make that decision because I am not willing to pay the premium for a NIB gun - a premium that disappears as soon as you fire it.

kbbailey
October 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Mine is smooth as silk and accurate as ...heck.

Its real value is in the shooting.

Fishslayer
October 14, 2012, 11:53 PM
Savin' yer brass, there? :D

ColtPythonElite
October 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Me and most that brass have been together over 20 years, plus it was used when I got it.

silvermane_1
October 15, 2012, 02:01 AM
it's your python, do what you wish with it, shoot it or don't shoot it.

WoodchuckAssassin
October 15, 2012, 06:55 AM
This thread reminds me of something my dad always used to say.

A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship is for

Id shoot the d**n thing every day if I could afford to!

tuckerdog1
October 15, 2012, 07:00 AM
Some firearms are indeed very rare, and very valuable. Those you probably wouldn't shoot. That's not the case with Pythons. True, they are pricey. And they might go up in value over time. But you need to weigh that possible increase in value against the enjoyment of shooting it. Does it make sense to sit on a Python for, say 5 years to see a $300 increase in value? I think not. If making a few bucks is the goal, there are better ways to do it. I say shoot & enjoy.

Tuckerdog1

kbbailey
October 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship is for”

Well said, and very appropriate. I'm gonna try to remember that one.

gfanikf
October 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Well yes, it's a gun, otherwise it's no fun.

henschman
October 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Heck yes... I have a friend who has a very nice Python that his Grandfather in law carried as a mountie in Canada. He carried it through the desert in the Pecos Run n' Gun last weekend, and did some damn fine shooting with it too!

sirgilligan
October 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
If I bought it to shoot, I would shoot it. If I bought it to display and hopefully appreciate in value, I would not shoot it. Simple and understandable reasoning, IMO.

gfanikf
October 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
If I wanted something to display, I'd just get a non-firing replica, mostly likely be a lot cheaper too!

CraigC
October 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship is for”
That's a good one! :)

22-rimfire
October 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'd shoot it. I have a 6" Trooper Mark III (357) that shoots well and is very smooth in single and double action. After shooting this one a bit, I decided to sell my original Python (bought in the late 70's) and put the money into Colts that I have more interest in. That was back when Pythons were selling for $1000 tops in mint condition.

Selling that one was perhaps a weak moment, but I was very happy with the Colts I purchased shortly after. One included a 6" NIB Blue Diamondback in 38spl. Also bought a Trooper 22 that day. It was a good show day. I don't have many days like that anymore as funds have been a lot tighter for things I just want versus need.

Added: When you are a Colt collector, if you have perfect specimans of a particular gun and you like to shoot, most would shoot a 98% Python. But if you are a budding collector and the 98% Python is the best you can afford, then you probably wouldn't shoot it. I think ColtPythonElite falls into the first catagory. It is often a matter of perspective.

swiftak
October 16, 2012, 03:39 PM
Yup, they are all made to be fired. Not shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you shoot a 98% Python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!