NFA guns in Florida. Where to start.


October 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
Hello I recently had a weld crack on a amd-65 muzzle brake. I was going to have the weld fixed but then decided that maybe I want to go the NFA route and just make this think a short barreled rifle by removing the brake. Everyone at my gun club hates the muzzle brake anyways, it makes the AK way too loud.

I'm having a hard time finding out the information I need to go about legally making this happen. Can anyone explain to me the step by step process that I need to follow to own NFA firearms and accessories in Florida. I wouldn't mind getting a suppressor for my glock 17 too, just makes sense to me in a indoors home defense situation.

Thanks for any info you may have to help point me in the right direction. I surely don't want to make a mistake with such a serious matter.

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA guns in Florida. Where to start." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
October 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
if you can legally buy a weapon like a handgun--you can buy or make a sbr or buy a can, provided your state allows it (fl is ok). i just sent trust paperwork in yesterday to make a uzi sbr (semi). i went trust route with form 1 vs police sign off (form 4), because i am new to my state and am told local cops won't sign.

to make--need to submit application to batf along with 200.00 for tax stamp. process can take 4-6 months before you are approved. if approved, you have to then get your gun engraved with you as maker along with your town and state.

you can get more info from or some of the other forums.

as a footnote, i did my own trust--i understand the law and designed my trust specifically to the sc trust code-has 11 specific requirements. you can keep your trust simple--just understand--you have to have a legal purpose, legal participants and follow the specifics of your own state's code. (which is most important). you can find examples on the net and modify to suite your specific situation.

October 13, 2012, 09:49 AM
I would probably go the police sign off route. My gun ranges membership officer is a captain in the local police department. I'm still not sure about where to get the paperwork, from the local police department?

So if I sent the paperwork off along with 200.00 and it took 6 months to go through, does that mean that I have to leave the gun as is with the muzzle brake on until the process is complete? Or can I pull the muzzle brake rendering the gun SBR upon submitting the paperwork? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that I just want to be clear.

Also this is the first I've heard about getting the gun engraved. So your saying that if I'm approved I have to take the AK to a engraver and have my name, city, and state put on the gun? Nothing else?

Thanks for the info.

October 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
You can get the paperwork from

Yes, you must leave it in the current configuration until your paperwork is approved, and you have your tax stamped copy in hand... And that includes making sure your muzzle break is re welded to meet the ATF definition of permanently attached

Since on a Form 1, you are the manufacturer, you must engrave your name, city, and state on the receiver.

October 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
ask atf nfa branch, if the mfg would be you,the individual,or if you do trust,is the trust the mfg,as far as what to put on the reciever.clear that up before you make a this by letter,so you can keep it onfile incase any problems show up.

October 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
He said he was going with CLEO sign off, so no trust, etc. He would be the manufacturer

October 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
Actually after researching I think I'm gonna go the trust route. Spikes tactical forums has detailed information on correctly filling out the paperwork as a trust. The only think I need now is to find the serial number on the receiver, it doesn't seem to have one. I do see a number on the bolt, and also the same number on the front trunion. Is this the number that I need to use as the receiver serial number?

October 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, BATF did away with the CLEO signoff this past July.

October 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
You are in fact mistaken. It has not gone away.

OP, the serial number you'll want is on the trunnion. Usually the bolt and carrier will bear the last few numbers, but the whole number is on the front trunnion.

October 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
awesome flyincedar, I wasn't sure if that was the number I needed or not. Thanks.

October 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
You are in fact mistaken. It has not gone away.

It was supposed to, per BATF. What happened?????

October 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
It has been proposed several times. Never set in stone

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA guns in Florida. Where to start." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!