saiga 12


October 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hello I have a question I hope someone can answer. I just picked up a
Saiga 12 I would like to shorten the barrel but I was told I would need a tax stamp to do it. If I do, what is it and where do I get 1 from

If you enjoyed reading about "saiga 12" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
October 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
Shotgun barrels must be 18" or longer in length. There's also an overall length requirement, might be 26", dont remember for sure.

If you wish to shorten your barrel below 18" you're makeing a short barrel shotgun requiring a $200 tax stamp, paperwork, form 1, including fingerprints, photos, and a signoff by your local CLEO. Does your state allow you to own NFA weapons?

October 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Dont forget the very long waiting period.

October 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Gary, you are correct, overall is 26"

OP, everything that gary said must be done BEFORE you shorten it, to make it legal. You'll also need the receiver engraved with your name, city, and state, or your trust/llc name, city, and state.

Dependin on how short you wanna go, be prepared to move the gas system as well, and replace the piston. The Saiga 12 is very finicky when you go short. We did a full auto with 8" barrel (no, you can't go FA with it), and it was a real PITA.

October 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
I have an AR with a 7.5" barrel. Other than the novelty, or clearing toilet stalls, it's just a fun toy.

October 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Just to answer your question more clearly...

You would need to file an ATF Form 1, first. You will need your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) to sign off on the form, or you can form a trust or LLC, then no sign off is needed.

You will send the form, fingerprint cards, photo, and a check for $200 to ATF. Then wait. And wait. About 6 months, some come back sooner, some longer. In the meantime, you'll need to get it engraved. If you got CLEO to sign off, you'll engrave your name, city, and state, per guidelines in the NFA handbook. Look it up, as it must meet certain requirements. If you went the trust or LLC route, you will engrave your trust or LLC name, city and state.

When you receive your form back from ATF, with your tax stamp, then and only then can you shorten the barrel, or have a gunsmith shorten the barrel.

October 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the information

If you enjoyed reading about "saiga 12" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!