Unneeded chemicals...

PDA

chrisf8657
October 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hey guys,

Since switching to M-pro 7 I have a bunch of Hoppes, etc. I won't be using anymore and don't know anyone to donate them to, so what should I do with them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you enjoyed reading about "Unneeded chemicals..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Centurian22
October 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
Feel free to mail me any hoppes or similar products. I'd be happy to pay for a small flat rate box as long as they were in ziplock bags with some newspaper for padding they should be fine. Just an idea.

MrCleanOK
October 15, 2012, 03:51 AM
Depending on the size of your community, they may have a hazmat reclamation center. If you don't have a friend locally to give it to, that is your best bet. I am not certain, but I would bet good money that USPS or any other carrier wouldn't allow you to mail solvent to anyone.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Centurian22
October 15, 2012, 06:18 AM
I thought about the mailing restriction thing at first too but then realized you can order it online and there are no problems shipping it, I don't see what would be different.

OilyPablo
October 15, 2012, 07:57 AM
Why not just use them up as intended?

MrCleanOK
October 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
Because the vendors that sell it pay the fees, are in compliance with regulations, and have the permission of the carriers to ship it. Average Joe off the street? No so much. . .

Sheepdog1968
October 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
Bring it to a local gun store. I'm sure someone will want it, if not the owner n

hso
October 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
I thought about the mailing restriction thing at first too but then realized you can order it online and there are no problems shipping it, I don't see what would be different.

That's not the same as you mailing it (which could earn a hefty fine or even jail if it caused a serious enough accident). The materials are shipped as a DOT Hazardous Material with specific packaging and packing training to prevent accidental fires since it is a flammable liquid. Per DOT it would have to ship as an ORM-D, not too difficult, but as a private person I'd recommend putting each bottle into it's little pasteboard box then into a plastic bag with some absorbent non-flammable material so that if it leaked it would be kept in the absorbent in the bag instead of risking starting a fire. Fire bad in aircraft.

Instead of tossing it I suggest you donate it to the local range or Scouts.

Schutzen
October 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
Why not give it to a 4-H Shooting Sports Club or a Boy Scout Troop that is doing a rifle merit badge.

j1
October 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hoppes is not hazmat.

chrisf8657
October 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah guys...Certurion, I'd have no problem giving it to you but I thought about it possibly leaking (you know how rough package handlers are) since it's not libel to stay up straight. Plus I just happen to see that Brownells WILL NOT ship any cleaning chemicals Parcel post, so if they can't do it, neither can I. Usually I don't care and just do it, but with the risk of leakage the last thing I want is ATF showing up at my door because my package shut down a postal facility due to it leaking and them calling a HazMat team...

I'll take it over to the Gunshop owner I'm friends with, barring he doesn't want/need it that I'll just put it in a box and take it over next time the city has it's Hazmat drive.

Thanks guys.

paradox998
October 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
Take the cleaner to the range and leave them in a visible spot with a note that they are free for the taking. You will make someone's day.

hso
October 17, 2012, 01:03 AM
Hoppes is not hazmat.

It is an ORM-D hazardous material that is going to be reclassified as a NOS flammable liquid (limited quantity) hazardous material after this year (2014 IIRC) unless they reformulate. See page 5 and 6 of the MSDS. http://www.hoppes.com/msds/MSDS-no9-gun-bore-cleaner.pdf

ORM-D, and flammable liquid N.O.S. in limited quantities, can be shipped, but not mailed, as long as they are properly packaged and labeled. Proper packaging ensures the safety of the carrier and people around the material while improper packaging puts them at risk in the event of a spill. Proper labeling helps ensure proper handling to prevent a spill.

ATF won't show up at your door if you send a box of gun cleaning supplies through the mail and they leak. It will the DOT or Postal Inspectors and those folks actually issue serious fines.

Centurian22
October 17, 2012, 04:21 AM
Chris, thanks for the thought, I hope someone takes them, it'd be a shame to see them go to waste.

gyvel
October 17, 2012, 06:40 AM
Since they are flammable, you could simply just burn them.

chrisf8657
October 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hey, that's a good idea for New Years!

gyvel
October 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hey, that's a good idea for New Years!

The main ingredient of Hoppe's is mineral spirits which you use to fire up a charcoal BBQ.

Also, the cost of "mailing" it to someone would probably exceed the original cost.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unneeded chemicals..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!