Crow hunters out there do you eat the meat.

PDA

Axel Larson
October 15, 2012, 11:09 AM
I would not even think of eating crow but since people hunt them I wondered if any do it for food. It popped into my head while out grouse hunting, there are crows all over the place. On the other hand the only grouse I have seen flushed as I was walking up a steep hill with a unloaded shotgun, off balance and did not see him too clearly.
Anyways so do any of you eat crow? they are scavengers so I am not sure if it would even be a good idea but still wondering.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crow hunters out there do you eat the meat." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
October 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Maybe if one were starving? :D I've heard/read of people trying, from curiosity, but the opinions were that it's like Gertrude Stein's Oakland: "There's no there there."

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
My grandmother MAY have during the early 1900s. I can remember her telling me that her father would kill sparrows and red birds so they wouldn't starve.

jmorris
October 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Only in the colloquial idiom form.

interlock
October 15, 2012, 12:50 PM
no.... but it sounds like a THR challenge to me....how about we shoot one then make up and post some recipes

tarosean
October 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
They are protected species under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

If ya did I wouldn't be telling anyone...just sayin

interlock
October 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
not in England!

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
They are protected species under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Totally wrong! They are neither federally protected nor migratory.

MtnCreek
October 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
There's a season for them in GA and they're ok to kill at any time to protect crops.

I know a guy that says he eats them and he says they're good. I won't be eating any as long as I have something else to eat.

tarosean
October 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Totally wrong! They are neither federally protected nor migratory.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

Look for...

CROW, American, Corvus brachyrhynchos

Maybe you should try some :)

Clayton86
October 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'v never had enough left to eat Hornady 58gr .243 superformance + crow = feathery read mist. Not that id want to eat it anyways but theres usually just some feet a beak and a pile of bloody feathers left lol I cant wait to see what the .17 rem will do to them

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Crows are NOT a protected species. They are one of only 4 non-game birds legal to shoot,no closed season,in my state. The others being all species of blackbird,starlings and sparrows. Since no state law supercedes a federal law,crows are not covered.

del4
October 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
I never have but I have heard old men talk about eating them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
From Alabama Hunting Reguations;*PROTECTED SPECIES
All birds except English sparrows, crows, starlings and blackbirds are protected by state law. Game birds and game animals may only be taken during open season for hunting. There is no open season in Alabama for BEAR, MOUNTAIN LION (COUGAR) AND RUFFED GROUSE. Other wildlife species are protected by the nongame species regulation.STARLINGS, CROWS & BLACKBIRDS

No Closed Season
•No Bag Limit — Daylight Hours Only

Pilot
October 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
JMORRIS wrote:

Only in the colloquial idiom form.

Too funny! Put me in this category.

x_wrench
October 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
no, i do not eat them. but sometimes coyotes will. so they are not entirely useless.we unfortunately have a crow season here. so i have to watch when i can shoot them. when i do, i try to keep an eye on the area for coyote. can not get both with the same bullet, but at least some good can come of the crow if i get a yote on top of it.

tarosean
October 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Crows are NOT a protected species. They are one of only 4 non-game birds legal to shoot,no closed season,in my state. The others being all species of blackbird,starlings and sparrows. Since no state law supercedes a federal law,crows are not covered.

If your bored you can find FWS 50 CFR Chapter 20 on the link i posted only to find out they give states the decision, with exception of Hawaii.

Just because its legal for you, doesn't mean it's legal for everyone. As is the case with many screwed up laws. Etc.

Clayton86
October 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
In NY you can only shoot them Fri, Sat, Sun, and mondays all other days are closed which is fine by me I do most my hunting on the weekend I usually call em in while calling for coyotes. Its tempting not to blast them first but I hold out till I'm sure no coyotes responded but they tend to be close behind the crows.

buck460XVR
October 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
We have two seasons for crow here in Wisconsin. We also have a regulation against wanton waste. In other words....you shoot it, you better eat it or use it for fertilizer. I do the latter, but according to these guys, they are quite tasty......

Crowbuster recipes (http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm)

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
As is the case with many screwed up laws. Etc. Amen!

MCgunner
October 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Figurative crow...yes

Literal crow...NO ... :barf: Might be good, I'll let YOU tel ME. I'm sure it's not poisonous. I've eaten birds most wouldn't thnk about that were delicious....some illegal. My grandpa killed it and he's dead, but that was curlew. Sanhills are a game species, but some are surprised that you can eat 'em, delicious. There were log entries in LaSalle's logbook (got lost and wound up in Texas) about how great Roseate Spoonbill are. :D That one is illegal, too, but there were no game wardens to arrest ol' LaSalle in 1684. :D

MCgunner
October 15, 2012, 03:11 PM
Odd that a species that is hunted and for which there are electronic calls for such hunting and one that is not migratory, would be illegal via the Migratory Bird Act. :rolleyes: I've shot a few, but like predator hunting, I've never really gotten into HUNTING 'em.

desidog
October 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to eat any animal that eats carrion flesh like roadkill. The amount of bacteria they encounter is high, and your body isn't used to those types of bacteria either...

The only exception people make to this, and i don't know why, is eating raccoon and opossum.

As Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe) wrote after he killed an unknown bird for food but found "its flesh was carrion, and fit for nothing".

Axel Larson
October 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
Out of curiosity then why hunt crow? I mean even with coyote hunting you can get a good fur but with crow nothing.
Are there crow problems in certain areas?

SlamFire1
October 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Someone must serve Crow, I read all the time of people eating Crow.

Maybe they were real hungry. :rolleyes:

bikerdoc
October 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
Open season all year long here. I plink them off my fence.

ZeroJunk
October 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
We have a complex season for crow. Wed. Fri. Sat. and holidays most of the year except spring and part of the summer. Electronic calls are allowed. No limit.

Never had the urge to eat one, but I will shoot them when they start damaging my corn. They are bad about pulling it up when it sprouts along with some other birds.

Sniper66
October 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
There is a season in Kansas. Makes no sense to have a closed season since they exist in huge numbers and are recognized as a pest. Anywho....no, I don't eat them, but the possums and coyotes love them. I usually manage to shoot 5-6 before they get wise to the call. I gather them up and pitch them in a ditch. They are always gone by morning.

buck460XVR
October 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to eat any animal that eats carrion flesh like roadkill. The amount of bacteria they encounter is high, and your body isn't used to those types of bacteria either...

The only exception people make to this, and i don't know why, is eating raccoon and opossum.

Folks eat bear all the time and bear are carrion eaters, along with garbage. Wild turkeys pick thru cow manure to get half digested corn, I've cleaned birds whose crop looked like the inside of a manure spreader. E. Coli and Listeriosis are both found in cow manure and are easily spread to humans. Proper handling and cooking of any meat is important. I would suspect the burgers at MacDees has worse bacteria in them than crow meat.:D

Missionary
October 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
Greetings
Nope ! Use the dead for immediate crow decoys then they become coyote bait.
I think of it as my attemps at recycling.
Mike in ILL

Patocazador
October 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
They are protected species under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

If ya did I wouldn't be telling anyone...just sayin
We used to shoot crows in Alabama and were asked more than once for the dead crows so the people could eat them. We always said yes.

Crows are only protected under the migratory bird treaty because Mexico insisted on it. The seasons are very generous and there is no bag or possession limit.

Marlin 45 carbine
October 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
they eat carrion. so do hogs - and dogs.
if hungry enuff I would pull off the brest meat and simmer it down - which would take a while as crows can live to quite an old age.
I hate them SOB'S

matrem
October 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
"Season" here is a Friday - Sunday ordeal from early June through early/ mid March. I was always under the impression that stemmed from a treaty with Mexico?
Sounds like that's not the case, or at least some states don't recognize it?

Hadn't shot a single crow in several years until this spring. Had a few getting too brave and coming into my yard taking baby cardinals out of their nests.
A few piles of crow feathers left in the grass changed the rest of their minds.

Eat em?
Guess I've not been that hungry yet.

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2012, 09:45 PM
Eat em?
Guess I've not been that hungry yet.
Neither have I but times could get that tough....just sayin'.

Rembrandt
October 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
With enough ketchup you can eat almost anything.....

ZeroJunk
October 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
I just Googled crow recipes. Several on there. I may just try one, see if I can slip them in on my wife.

303tom
October 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
I Hate Crows...............

Quickdraw Limpsalot
October 16, 2012, 07:54 AM
My neighbor and i like to hunt together on occaision, and on one particular outting we bagged a crow (legally.) I'd been wanting to try it just to see how it was and he agreed to try it as well. 15 minutes after it hit the ground it was on the grill with a little salt & pepper, nothing else. Smelled like strong poultry.

After the apprehensive first bite, we promptly devoured the rest of our respective crow medallion and agreed that there was only really one problem. We wished we'd bagged a few more! Excellent tablefare. In fact, i'd bet most people if told it was beef would never suspect otherwise. It was honestly very good.

ole farmerbuck
October 16, 2012, 08:09 AM
Shot a few crows and drank a little OLD crow years back.

ghitch75
October 16, 2012, 09:05 AM
NO!!!!....would be like eatin' rats!!!.....a town by me thinks shootin' noise makers in the air will run them off only for a little while then they come back........kill a few and they get the message and steer clear of that area....

MtnCreek
October 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Out of curiosity then why hunt crow? I mean even with coyote hunting you can get a good fur but with crow nothing.
Are there crow problems in certain areas?
Evidently, crows have never heard the old saying ‘one to rot, one for the crow and one to grow’ because they will walk down a row pulling EVERY sprout and eating the seed from its base.

j1
October 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
No but I woulod love to eat a woodchuck.

HOWARD J
October 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
My brother & I used to hunt those buggers----
We would sit & wait---the crows would send out a scout & it would check the area before the flock came in..
I would fire into a crowd of about 50 & was lucky if I knocked down 2 or 3.
It gave us something to do when we had our limit of pheasant---:evil::evil:

Patocazador
October 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
I Hate Crows...............
I second that!

788Ham
October 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
You've got to be kidding! I suppose you eat Magpies too huh? Those filthy trash eating, carrion gobblin' bane of the outdoors. I'd shoot them, wouldn't even care to kick the carcass, just leave them for the other trash eaters, they'll be along shortly! You'd waste the time to even clean them? Whew, theres plenty of other things to eat in my opinion.

Axel Larson
October 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
If you had read my post I was just wondering if any did. As I stated I would not even think of eating it myself. But I figured why shoot them if you are not going to eat it. Unless it serves some other purpose as in getting rid of them from eating crops. And there is a season so that means some other purpose than nuisance tags which is year around.

justashooter in pa
October 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
no crow. songbird barb'q roasted chinese style, yes, but no crow.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
October 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
You've got to be kidding! I suppose you eat Magpies too huh? Those filthy trash eating, carrion gobblin' bane of the outdoors. I'd shoot them, wouldn't even care to kick the carcass, just leave them for the other trash eaters, they'll be along shortly! You'd waste the time to even clean them? Whew, theres plenty of other things to eat in my opinion.

We don't have magpies, but i'd probably try them too. It's a critter, made of meat just like what you buy at the store (although in all likelihood it's probably cleaner than store-bought.) so, tell me... do you like crab? Shrimp? Pork? Chicken?

cpt-t
October 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
I never have my self that I know of. But as a kid, I can remember my Grand Paw and his old friends talking about when times were tough shooting Crows or finding a roosting tree and diging hole under the tree and burying Dyminte then covering it with small pea gravel. Then waiting till the tree was full of roosting crows and siting off the dyminte. They then would gather up all the dead crows and ship them to OK CITY or TULSA on the train. They said the rich people bought as many as they would send and they thought Crows were great to eat. But I can`t remember any of us eating any of them. Crows dammage crops thow, why do you think farmers put Scare Crows in their corn fields.
ken

ApacheCoTodd
October 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

Look for...

CROW, American, Corvus brachyrhynchos

Maybe you should try some :)
That is just insane - so we simply adopt in their entirety the; Mexican, Canadian, Japanese and Russian Conventions lists to come up with that monster ledger? And Crow!?!

ZeroJunk
October 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
That is just insane - so we simply adopt in their entirety the; Mexican, Canadian, Japanese and Russian Conventions lists to come up with that monster ledger? And Crow!?!
They left off the red headed double breasted mattress thrasher.

tarosean
October 17, 2012, 01:55 AM
They left off the red headed double breasted mattress thrasher.

My crazy X-wife???

As for Crows, the only reason I knew they were listed was because I got reprimanded as a youngster by F&G for shooting at one..

Kachok
October 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
I pride myself on trying darn near anything once (gar, horse, snake, stingray, eel, jellyfish....etc) but a scavenger bird does not sound at all tasty to me.

countertop
October 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
BIKERDOC:

Open season all year long here. I plink them off my fence.

Nope. At least not if your still in Virginia. (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/smallgame.asp#crow)

Crow
Season:
August 18 through March 16 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday only.

September 1 through March 9 on National Forest Lands and Department lands (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday only).

Crows are a federally regulated migratory species; however, no HIP number is required and hunters may use unplugged shotguns to hunt them.
Electronic calls may be used on private and public lands.

splattergun
October 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
My dog won't eat it. So... um, no.

janobles14
October 18, 2012, 01:38 AM
crow can be done VERY well! i have a few recipes that i really really enjoy. there isnt much usable meat on them despite their size, however. strip (you really do have to strip) the breast and "thighs." soak the meat in a mixture of milk, paprika, and a small dash of liquid smoke. the meat is quite strong and has a very forward flavor but a great texture. use it in place of pork or turkey. it can also be brined, smoked, and ground into a game bacon like product which flavors all kinds of things well. i may have to add my crow pot pie to the recipe forum now.

oh and btw...they are a pain to clean!

41 Mag
October 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
As for Crows, the only reason I knew they were listed was because I got reprimanded as a youngster by F&G for shooting at one..

The legality of shooting Crows here in Texas as defined by the TP&W,

Birds

1. Wild Birds: All wild birds that migrate through or are indigenous to Texas, along with their plumage or other parts, eggs, nests and young are protected from harming, killing and/or possession by state and federal law except that European starlings, English sparrows, and feral pigeons may be killed at any time and their nests and eggs may be destroyed. A permit is not required to control grackles; cowbirds; yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty or Brewer's blackbirds; crows or magpies when these birds are considered a nuisance or causing a public health hazard. No birds may be controlled by any means considered illegal by local city or county ordinance.

Protected Wildlife Species in Texas (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/rehab/protected/)

I have sat out and shot them many times as they would come in to work on various plantings we had put in while I was growing up. They can wipe out a small corn field, or garden, in a VERY short time.

We never went around advertising that we were doing it, and never had anyone come in and warn us against it. We simply did it to try and bump up our harvest rate, and protect what we could. I'm not even going to go into the masses of blackbirds or grackles we managed to get with several well placed rounds of 7 1/2 through a full choke. I will say this though, when they are on the ground in those huge flocks which seeming take half an hour to pass while flying, you can whistle real loud and they will all come right up in a big tight bunch.

Also I was brought up where if you shot it, you had better be prepared to eat it, and my grandmother had a recipe for just about anything that walked, crawled, flew or swam. If there was enough of it left to fry, boil, or bake, you had better not let her know it was left in the field. I learned at a young age, at times there are many things that NEED to be shot to keep other things from being destroyed, and there are other things which will get your backside tanned up right quickly. Also having to clean up a bucket full of backbirds for dumplings, isn't one my fondest culinary memories.

My grandmother however, raised her 10 kids up through the middle and last part of the depression after my grandfather was killed, so putting food on the table was a priority. They were lucky enough to be able to hold on to the family property and worked it as needed to help provide for themselves and others in her neighborhood. I was raised up knowing what eating everything but the squeeler, meant.

Sav .250
October 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
If you cook them on a thin pine board with onions for 1 hr ......... then you throw away the crow and eat the board........... very tasty. :)

ghoster
October 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
Only when proven wrong ! :mad:
Can't imaging the bird virety tasting any better; so no. :rolleyes:

bb07
October 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'd have to be starving, and even then I'm not sure I could sink my teeth in one.
They're legal to shoot here, anytime.

tarosean
October 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
The legality of shooting Crows here in Texas as defined by the TP&W,

I grew up in New Mexico where there protected.

Wrapping in bacon deep frying then a garlic butter bath should make a shoe taste good!

Axel Larson
October 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Long thread. Anyways to those who say they eat crow pictures of your recipes would be interesting. Not doubting you just be interesting to see them served up, not that I am volunteer to go try said recipes.

smallbore
October 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
Crows can be hunted in NH. Aug. 15–Nov. 30, 2012 and Mar. 16–Mar. 31, 2013. No daily/season limit. I only tend to shoot the ones that interrupt my sleeping in on a day off. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Crow hunters out there do you eat the meat." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!