Got my 10/22!

PDA

C5rider
October 15, 2012, 03:43 PM
I've been jonesin' for a 10/22 for a few months now. I stopped in to my local gun shop and checked out the several styles of 10/22s that they had. I REALLY liked the hammer-forged target model but, finances being what they are, figured that I'd be happy with a bull-barrel version. I know that these guns are the ARs of 22s, but rather than pay for a stock carbine and then change up, I'd rather pay a little more and get something more like I wanted originally. I can always change it around later, but I wouldn't feel compelled to make changes quickly and can enjoy it as is.

Fast forward, my brother and I were making our rounds last weekend and checked out a few gun shows. There was nothing that we needed at either show, so we decided to hit some of the gun shops on the way home. We stopped in this pawn shop and my brother fell in love with a Marlin 30-30. We were getting ready to leave when I simply asked "how much for the 10/22?"

Rather than give me a number, the salesman (being a GOOD salesman) handed me the gun. It was a Target version with the hammer-forged barrel and laminate stock. They had $369 on the tag. I thought about it but decided that a bull-barreled version was still good for me. We talked a little more, did some horse-tradin' over the price of both the 30-30 AND the 10/22 and before it was done, we had it down to $300, plus an extra magazine. Now we're talking! We started doing the paperwork and the guy goes in the back to get the extra mag, and comes out with a BX-25! :eek:

Needless to say, I'm happy with the gun, overall. My wife will be shooting it too, so while it's a good shooter, I've been thinking about buying another trigger group for it so that I can have my lighter trigger and she can use the stock group for when she shoots it.

I like the laminate stock but I'm thinking of putting a contrasting color pistol grip end and fore-end on it to just set it off a little bit. Dress it up a little, if you will.

I put a bi-pod and Bushnell Banner 4x16x40 scope on it. Took it out to the range and after an initial sight-in session, it was carrying fairly good groups at 50 yards. It'll get better as I get better with it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my 10/22!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdauben
October 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Dang, that's a sweet looking 10/22!

I recently picked up a 10/22 TD which I am really liking, but I'm starting to think about getting another one as a dedicated target gun and something like yours is looking mighty tempting.

hardluk1
October 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
Looks nice what ammo did you use. Now you get to try all the different brands and label with in the brands to find the one your rifles like best.

bikerdoc
October 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Good for you, Enjoy.

C5rider
October 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
I was using Winchester ammo. The stuff that comes in the big brown box filled with smaller brown boxes.

I had a 4 power scope on it first but found a good deal on the Bushnell and that was all it took. I'm looking forward to buying more 10 rounder magazines for it and just having fun at the range. I'd love to really stretch her out and see how far it'll be accurate to but, that'll have to wait till later. I can only get out to 100 yards at one range where I occasionally shoot.

Being an older build, it still has the metal trigger group. I think that's a plus. I'm liking it a lot and, I'm looking forward to doing some modifications to it along the way. I think it'll be fun. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my 10/22!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!