Front Sight bent

PDA

Keeperfaith
October 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Hello, I just purchased a used Browning Hi-Power for about $400. I just got home and I noticed the front sight (integral standard post sight welded onto slide, Not a dove tail after market) is slightly bent to the left.

What is the best way to get the bend out?

Hammer w/ a stell punch/brass punch or piece of oak?

I must also mention the pistol was chrome plated so I want to avoid scratching the plating.

Thanks

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Front Sight bent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BBBBill
October 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
The post is not welded if it is factory. Possibly silver soldered. Is the chrome factory or aftermarket? Narrow old style sight blade or fatter one with a wider base? I ask to clarify what you've got. I've had success with using a small hand vise or an adjustable wrench to grip the top edge of the sight blade and GENTLY bend it straight. Sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't break off at the tenon. And sometimes it does. :(

beatledog7
October 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
Have you shot the gun? The post might be canted on purpose to make it shoot to point of aim.

Keeperfaith
October 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hmmm It looks welded to the slide. I'll have to check it out some more.

No, I havent shot it yet.

I'll fill ya'll in after I shoot it. Prbly next week.

Thanks
STeve

BBBBill
October 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
Got a pic?

FROGO207
October 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
Beatledog7 is probably on the right track. I have had to bend a front sight or two so that a pistol would shoot to point of aim myself. Do shoot it enough with at least a couple brands of ammo to make sure it needs to be moved before you commit to attempting to change it. Just my .02.:)

Mizar
October 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
On a windage adjustable rear sight why you must bend the front one?
OP, you can take a brass punch and a hammer and carefully straighten the front sight. Just go slowly with light taps.

Boris

Keeperfaith
November 13, 2012, 05:41 AM
HA!!

I'm so glad I heeded y'alls advice and shot it first before getting the front sight realigned. It was bent by a previous owner because it needed to be...

I shot a tight group with the sights the way they are.

Thanks guys,

If you enjoyed reading about "Front Sight bent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!