Looking for sights / scope to suit my needs.

PDA

SAS Mayhem
October 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
Iíll be picking up my AR-15, which has a rail on the upper receiver and gas block. No sights. For the type of shooting Iíll be doing which would be range shooting up to 200 yards. What would be a good sight set up, to 100 yards and a scope out to 200 yards? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for sights / scope to suit my needs." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
October 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
1-4 power scope. For around $300, Burris is a good choice. A buddy of mine was nailing an 8" target with that scope at ~300 this weekend. If you were willing to spend a little more, Viper pst has a better reticle for shooting at range IMO.

Sky
October 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
Just a thought: Once you get a scope I doubt you will use irons for anything but back up. !00, 200, 300, with an AR is just a matter of changing you POA ever so slightly with a scope for the desired POI. The AR has such little recoil that many scopes will meet your needs but I have to say I am a big fan of Vortex scopes and the company.

Many shooters like the 1-4 powered scopes and I have one mounted on an AR too. However where I diverge from the norm (in using the 1-4 Hunting) I have some rather high powered scopes that I use at a low or high power setting depending on the shot to be taken. I even use some as targeting and spotting scopes when zeroing in a new optic on another firearm ( can see the holes in a target at range).

I have a tendency to get the most scope and power for the money. So even though I may have a 4-20x50 on a rifle I can always have the magnification set to 4 power yet have the 20 available at the simple turn of a knob. Just some thoughts on what has worked for me in a hunting environment. My experience and use when working a scoped rifle basically means the irons sights are there but only if the optic breaks or becomes unusable.

SAS Mayhem
October 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Well after doing some more reading I think that this will fit me bill, any thoughts?
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-3-9x40-mark-ar-riflescopes.html

Cheers
Ron

Haxby
October 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
That Leupold will work. The package with the Burris mount and the discount they're advertising makes it a good deal.

SAS Mayhem
October 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks forthe inputs

Cheers
Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for sights / scope to suit my needs." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!