What do you see?

PDA

brushhippie
October 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
We were out shooting yesterday and I put up some empty propane bottles for targets. When this one was hit it appears to me to ignite, now I just saw an episode of Mythbusters where they tried and tried to get one to ignite but could not...weird! http://youtu.be/7OM610R5rWs

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you see?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
October 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
what kind of ammo were you shooting?

brushhippie
October 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
Im not sure which of them shot it, but a copper jacketed bullet or lead roundball.

Centurian22
October 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
Awesome!!!

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
October 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/Untitled111-002.jpg

M-Cameron
October 17, 2012, 10:15 AM
Im not sure which of them shot it, but a copper jacketed bullet or lead roundball.

for the copper jacketed bullet....is there any chance it could have been steel core?

and for the round ball......im assuming out of some form of muzzle loader, what range were you shooting at?

brushhippie
October 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
Im pretty sure they were not steel core but they were at 25 yards the roundballs were coming from cva caplocks and I cast the balls myself. thanks for the still kwhi43@kc.rr.com thats cool! Clearly flame!

Foto Joe
October 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
I'm just going to throw this out there and it's coming directly out of my rear but....

"If" the projectile took a piece of the steel bottle with it when it penetrated then that piece of steel "could" have caused a spark when exiting the other side. On the other hand it could just be a fragment of my imagination.

M-Cameron
October 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
well given the fact you were shooting black powder at a relatively close range, i can only assume the ball picked up a small burning ember and carried it to the target, causing the combustion.

brushhippie
October 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
It seems to ignite from the back side I was thinkin like Joe the round either made the steel curl around and strike itself or carried a piece through from the front.

Steel Horse Rider
October 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
I save the empty propane and Map gas bottles from my work to use as targets. There is usually little gas left in them but there is some, and I have yet to make one explode, poof, or flash. I usually shoot them from 50 or 100 yds with centerfire rifle rounds mostly in the .30 caliber range. Looks like you got some type of reaction though!

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you see?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!