Why Would S&W Replace Barrel for FTE Issues

PDA

razorback2003
October 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
Why would S&W (on the gun's second trip for warranty work) replace the barrel of an M&P Pro 9mm 5 inch when the gun was having failure to extract problems? S&W already adjusted the extractor on the first trip for warranty work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Would S&W Replace Barrel for FTE Issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
silicosys4
October 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
The chamber could be hair small, making the case "stick" in the chamber upon firing...The chamber could have been cut slightly out of spec lengthwise as well.

creeper1956
October 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
A tight or too deeply cut chamber would be the first few things that pop into my head. A non-concentric chamber might be another possibility.

C

Fishbed77
October 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
Undersized or poorly milled chamber?

Fishbed77
October 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ha - I just realized silicosys4, creeper1956, and myself gave the exact same answer at almost the exact same time.

9mmepiphany
October 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
It is possible that the barrel was cut with the location of the chamber out of spec in relation to the location of the extractor on the breachface...or the breachface is locating the extractor out of spec in relationship to the barrel. In either case it is cheaper to replace the barrel than the slide.

Replacing the extractor on a 9mm M&P is a standard first fix when receiving complaints of extraction issues as the extractor wasn't optimized for the 9mm cartridge

creeper1956
October 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
Ha - I just realized silicosys4, creeper1956, and myself gave the exact same answer at almost the exact same time.
Great minds....

:D

razorback2003
October 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
I hope this fixes the problem because this is the third time in the past six months i have had the gun worked on. Striker replaced, extractor worked on, new extractor spring, and now this new barrel.

9mmepiphany
October 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Why would S&W (on the gun's second trip for warranty work) replace the barrel of an M&P Pro 9mm 5 inch when the gun was having failure to extract problems? S&W already adjusted the extractor on the first trip for warranty work.
I hope this fixes the problem because this is the third time in the past six months i have had the gun worked on. Striker replaced, extractor worked on, new extractor spring, and now this new barrel.
I'm a little confused here. So, it is on it's second trip to the factory for warranty work, but it is the third time it has been worked on in the past six months.

Does that mean you are having work done on it outside the factory?

You should be careful that it doesn't void the factory warranty

ApacheCoTodd
October 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'd go with chamber imperfections in the case of outright dimensions or flawed tooling. I close examination of fired brass might give you a heads-up.

razorback2003
October 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
I took the gun to the range today and had two failure to feeds, several hard to chamber, and also empties thrown straight back at me. I am pretty disappointed that after one try with a local gunsmith, two tries with S&W that this problem is not fixed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Would S&W Replace Barrel for FTE Issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!