Limiting number of posts in Sale forums?

PDA

Orion8472
October 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
My brother told me that he was unable to post a thread about a gun he was looking to sell because thehighroad.org is now limiting to 1 post a month? Is this the case, or is something else going on? I know that I have posted more than one post. Is there a new rule for the non-commercial section?

I was completely dumbfounded when my brother was telling me this because he rarely even posts here. Reads many posts, but hasn't done his own posting.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Limiting number of posts in Sale forums?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
October 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
IIRC non commercial members may start 12 firearms for sale threads in the past 365 days. That averages to one a month, but isn't the same as one a month since you could conceivably post those 12 in a shorter period of time. Each for sale thread can have more than one gun in it.

Mal H
October 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
Orion8472, who is your brother, and why didn't he ask the question himself if he is a member here?

There was a problem with the function counting posts at the beginning, but it was fixed a few days ago. If he tries it now, it will probably work.

Orion8472
October 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
Mal, from what I understand, he actually DID talk to someone [though I'm not sure who]. He is Cactus Jack Arizona. However, I will relay hso's post to him. He may have misunderstood. He WAS having a problem posting, so it could have caused him to misunderstand what was going on and the "one a month" statement.

Thanks for the help! :)

Mal H
October 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
It all depends on when he tried to create the WTS thread. If it was a few days ago, it wouldn't have worked and he would have gotten an error message. Today, it should work for him with no errors.

But, if he didn't try to create the thread due to the erroneous "only one a month" info, then that would explain it.

Orion8472
October 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
BTW, . . . how do I know how many sales threads I've had in that 365 day period?

Rail Driver
October 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just curious, but what is the purpose behind placing an arbitrary limit on the number of for sale threads a member can post? I know personally if I don't like a gun, I don't keep it long - In my (ongoing) search to find the right carry pistol, I've been through no less than 18 different firearms, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford to keep them all. Most of the time I had to get rid of one to try the next one.

It seems to me that an arbitrary limit on the number of posts one can make in the classifieds forum would tend to push people away from the forum once that limit is reached.

Just my opinion, worth what ya paid for it.

blarby
October 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
There was a problem with the function counting posts at the beginning, but it was fixed a few days ago. If he tries it now, it will probably work.

Indeed, it does.

Thank you very much for fixing this problem. "It" , and your consideration, are greatly appreciated as always.

TennJed
October 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
Is the 12 for firearms only or does accessories count toward the 12?

Mal H
October 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
how do I know how many sales threads I've had in that 365 day period?The only way I know of is to pullup the list of threads you have created and count the ones in the Trading Post forums.

Note: It probably wasn't totally clear, but the 12 threads per 365 days is 12 threads in each of the 4 Trading Post forums, i.e., you can have 12 handgun-for-sale threads, 12 rifle-for-sale threads, etc.

... what is the purpose behind placing an arbitrary limit on the number of for sale threads a member can post? It might be an arbitrary number (wouldn't any number be in that category?), but we felt it was more than sufficient for almost any non-commercial member to sell a bunch of firearms. See the note above about the limit applying to each separate forum, not the total for all forums inclusive.

Blarby - you're welcome! :)

Is the 12 for firearms only or does accessories count toward the 12?See the note above about the limit applying to each separate forum, not the total for all forums inclusive.

Rail Driver
October 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
Note: It probably wasn't totally clear, but the 12 threads per 365 days is 12 threads in each of the 4 Trading Post forums, i.e., you can have 12 handgun-for-sale threads, 12 rifle-for-sale threads, etc.

It might be an arbitrary number (wouldn't any number be in that category?), but we felt it was more than sufficient for almost any non-commercial member to sell a bunch of firearms.

Again, just curious (since you didn't really answer my question) but why? Is there some concern about illegal activity going on or something? If that were the case I would think that instituting a limit like that on everyone is kinda like trying to fight drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to sell their car... (or truck, or tires).

Not trying to be rude or a pain in the rear, just hadn't noticed any kind of discussion or announcement about it and it struck me as odd. I'm a member of quite a few forums, some of them larger than this one and some smaller - none of them have a limitation like this (though several of them have certain other limitations, such as requiring actual contact information for members that wish to use the classifieds area- name, phone, address)

I have to say that I really enjoy this place, and aside from the TONS of great information that can be found here, the awesome people, and the good conversation, the classifieds section here is one of the best on the web for private firearms - People can find things here that simply don't show up other places. Putting the classifieds in a vice like that kinda seems to dampen it, at least to me.

Mal H
October 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
Please see this thread at the top of this forum: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=681133

I made you assumption you had already seen and read it.

Rail Driver
October 20, 2012, 12:58 AM
Please see this thread at the top of this forum: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=681133

I made you assumption you had already seen and read it.
No, I hadn't seen it - Thanks for the link.

Well, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me but you guys make the rules, we gotta follow them. I don't have a problem with it. THR is a business now, I guess it has been for awhile, it's just starting to show now.

Anyway, there are lots of other places to sell or trade when I reach my limit here. (though I don't see that happening this year, as close to the end of it as we are!)

The limitation is only for starting threads though, and not for responding to them correct? The information in the link isn't exactly clear on that (or I could just be confused- that has been known to occur!)

Mal H
October 20, 2012, 01:39 AM
The limitation is only for starting threads though, and not for responding to them correct?Correct. Posting to any thread is not limited.

... though I don't see that happening this year, as close to the end of it as we are!
Perhaps that aspect wasn't clear either. It is a 365 day rolling limit, not a calendar year limit. Let's say, you had no threads up to this point in a single forum, and decided to create 12 new threads today. You wouldn't be able to create another thread in that particular forum until 10/19/2013, not 01/01/2013.

Rail Driver
October 20, 2012, 02:08 AM
Correct. Posting to any thread is not limited.

Perhaps that aspect wasn't clear either. It is a 365 day rolling limit, not a calendar year limit. Let's say, you had no threads up to this point in a single forum, and decided to create 12 new threads today. You wouldn't be able to create another thread in that particular forum until 10/19/2013, not 01/01/2013.

Dang... I hope it doesn't backfire and kill off the non-commercial classifieds when people start hitting their limits :( At least replying to threads won't be affected.

I do think we will start seeing a lot of super long 10+ page threads in there, though, where people just keep adding to the existing posts instead of making a new one when they need or want to sell something - Those tend to be difficult to decipher sometimes.

I look through the classifieds every other day or so, and I see more than just a few names quite often, always with something new - The limit is going to really cut that down a lot, especially since it's a rolling limit like that. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this - window shopping in the classifieds is one of my favorite pass times when I've got nothing else going on. Granted it will also cut down on the "bumped" threads a significant amount too, I'm sure.

I hope I'm not coming off as a complainer or anything because that's not my intent, I suppose I'm just voicing my point of view and worries about it mostly because I'm bored and waiting for my son to get tired and go to sleep. We will see how things turn out - It's been up for a week now, so would I be correct in assuming that the count was at 0 for everyone starting on the 14th when it was posted, or is it retroactive?

9mmepiphany
October 20, 2012, 03:05 AM
Is there some concern about illegal activity going on or something?
Well, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me
Nothing illegal, it's just to set a definitive line in the sand as it were, of where commercial use of our forum starts.

There are users asking to become commercial members and it wouldn't be fair to them to allow non-declared members to compete with them. There are also members here who basically just use the forum to sell their wares without contributing to discussions

would I be correct in assuming that the count was at 0 for everyone starting on the 14th when it was posted, or is it retroactive?
It is a rolling 365 day period. It counts the number of posts in the affected sections within that period

hso
October 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Rail Driver,

At some point a hobbyist reaches a volume that is commercial and they've become a business instead of an enthusiast. Their free use of Trading Post to make a profit in direct competition with the other members who buy a gun and sell a gun occasionally isn't fair to the vast majority of members. They use resources more heavily than the enthusiast to operate business without paying for them to compete with the folks that just use them every no and again.

Why 12 for the number of threads you can start in a 365 day window for each category (Handgun, Rifle/Shotgun, Accessories)? Because the vast majority of members, even the ardent hobbyists, don't average that many new transactions and it was an easy number to pick without affecting a greater majority of members using Trading Post.

Using your activity as an example, you've started roughly six threads in each of the three categories over that past 365 days. Nothing like other members using THR's resources to compete with you and selling at a level much higher. You're obviously like many of us, an enthusiast trying to improve their collection who hopes to find a great deal on that great item. The goal is to separate people selling firearms at a high level through THR from members like you so you and the other hobbyists are treated fairly.

Rail Driver
October 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
I think that's where my confusion was (that, and I REALLY though I had posted more than ~6 threads over the past year - of course it HAS been a slow year due to the economy!), but the way you explained it, hso, I got the whole "lightbulb" effect - (sorry 9mmepiphany - it was hso that gave me the epiphany and not you!)

I do still feel that it will slow things down considerably for some people, but now that I've gone through the classifieds again, a lot of the names I see the most do actually seem to be commercial operations anyway (ie goingquiet, wackendogs and a couple others)

hso
October 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
It won't slow anything down for users that post in the appropriate category. "Appropriate Category" being the important point.

People who know they're using THR like a spot at a gunshow to operate a business need to "pay for the table" and not "cruise the aisles blocking the other guy's table". ;)

RCArms.com
October 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
I think that's where my confusion was (that, and I REALLY though I had posted more than ~6 threads over the past year - of course it HAS been a slow year due to the economy!), but the way you explained it, hso, I got the whole "lightbulb" effect - (sorry 9mmepiphany - it was hso that gave me the epiphany and not you!)

I do still feel that it will slow things down considerably for some people, but now that I've gone through the classifieds again, a lot of the names I see the most do actually seem to be commercial operations anyway (ie goingquiet, wackendogs and a couple others)
There will always be users that are commercial businesses that will try very hard to hide that fact to use a trader forum without complying with a commercial use or sponsorship policy. It happens everywhere. Only the honest ones step up and pay the sponsorship fee to use the service or at the minimum declare their commercial business interest openly in their user name or signature line.

You will see a slowing of items listed by these honest dealers that choose not to participate in the trader for a variety of reasons, but the operators that feel the need to hide their business affiliations will continue to list their items on the trader for THR members to purchase.

That's just the nature of things. I've seen it happen over and over on a major forum that I sponsor.

9mmepiphany
October 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
sorry 9mmepiphany - it was hso that gave me the epiphany and not you!
:p I welcome enlightenment wherever it occurs

Using your activity as an example, you've started roughly six threads in each of the three categories over that past 365 days.
I REALLY though I had posted more than ~6 threads over the past year
You did.

~6 threads in each of the 3 categories is ~18 threads

hso
October 22, 2012, 10:44 PM
but the operators that feel the need to hide their business affiliations will continue to list their items on the trader for THR members to purchase.

Not for very long. They'll hit the limits or someone will point them out or we'll notice and they'll have the choice to make an honest business of themselves or leave.

If you enjoyed reading about "Limiting number of posts in Sale forums?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!