PDA

johnnyappleseed
October 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
i've got a winchester model 70 sporter 25 06 that i shoot hornady 117 boattails

on top of it is a nightforce 3-15 ffp mildot 0 stop with moa dials

add a harris bipod and i'm toting about 11 lbs

i'm thinking of trading the 3-15 for a new 2-10 0 stop with a 600 yard reticle

i'll use the rifle for hunting coyotes, antelope, and deer

i know i'll be giving up front focal, magnification, and parallax but i don't really like the mildot reticle and less weight would be a bonus

i should be able to use the reticle out to 600 yards and then dial for anything farther out with the 2-10

so what do you think, should i make the trade?

If you enjoyed reading about "nightforce 2-10 vs 3-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
October 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
Anything over 10x is useless on most game if you're not a prairie dog at 1000 yards kinda guy. Heck, for what I've done, even mountain hunting mulies, 6x is more'n enough magnification. If I can trade 3x for 2x on the bottom end, it's a deal! Your rifle ain't the optimal brush gun, but 2X is REALLY useful on a still hunt vs anything more. I pay more attention to the lower magnification than the upper, myself.

I don't know about all that mildot stuff. My scopes just have crosshairs. 400 yards is as far as I'm going to shoot. I'll get closer. If I'm shooting that far out, I'll hold over. I've taken at least ONE coyote far side of 370 yards that way with my .308.

To each his own, but I think a lot of guys get carried away with magnification on a "deer rifle". You DO live out in the land where you can see forever, though. Me, I do most of my hunting where 150 yards is my horizon. :D But, I've hunted quite a bit out in west Texas and New Mexico and 10X is all the magnification I could ever want out there and, frankly, I can't think of a shot I've taken with the thing dialed up that high 'cept maybe the fore mentioned coyote, not sure on that one.

Grumulkin
October 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
i've got a winchester model 70 sporter 25 06 that i shoot hornady 117 boattails

on top of it is a nightforce 3-15 ffp mildot 0 stop with moa dials

add a harris bipod and i'm toting about 11 lbs

i'm thinking of trading the 3-15 for a new 2-10 0 stop with a 600 yard reticle

i'll use the rifle for hunting coyotes, antelope, and deer

i know i'll be giving up front focal, magnification, and parallax but i don't really like the mildot reticle and less weight would be a bonus

i should be able to use the reticle out to 600 yards and then dial for anything farther out with the 2-10

so what do you think, should i make the trade?
I have a number of scope including the two Nightforce scopes you mention. Nightforce scopes are built well but weight is an issue. I do like some type of marked reticle for longer shots so most often use Leupold Mark 4 scopes of which their TMR reticle is my favorite.

I have several Mark 4 scopes of which some have illuminated reticles. Magnification ranges include 2.5-8X, 3.5-10X and 4.5-14X; of those the 3.5-10X with the M3 turrets is probably my favorite with the 4.5-14X coming in at a close second. For me, magnification much over 14X is more of a bother than a help for hunting situations.

If you enjoyed reading about "nightforce 2-10 vs 3-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!