Surprise while cleaning my gun ...

PDA

M100C
October 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
In a previous post, I asked about the best way to clean and nourish the buttstock and forearm of an old Winchester 1912.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=629219

A couple posts recommended Kramer's Best Antique Improver, so I ordered some, and have slowly been treating the wood on all my guns. The stuff is fantastic.

I was reading the bottle just yesterday while preparing to treat the wood on an old 1927 Winchester 94 SRC. It indicates it is for use on metal also, so I thought I'd put some on a patch and pull it slowly down the bore. I was very suprised how dirty the patch was when it emerged! The bore had previously been cleaned with Hoppe's/brush and finished with CLP. I wasn't sure if I should leave the bore with Kramer's in it, so I pulled another patch with CLP.

Has anyone else tried this, or do you know of any reason I shouldn't use Kramer's going forward? I have no affiliation to the company whatsoever; just looking for comments from this group.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprise while cleaning my gun ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tightgroup tiger
October 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
If you leave some hoppes in your barrel after cleaning it, it will continue to disolve what ever else you missed.

After a few days if you clean it again you will almost always find something else in there you missed the first time.

If I'm going to park one for a while, I usually clean it with bore cleaner, leave it wet for a couple days, then clean it really well again before I put it away.

EMC45
October 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Run a patch with MPro7 on it down your bore. It will shock you what comes out of a "clean" gun.

1911 guy
October 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
My opinion and worth what you're paying for it.

Hoppes has been junk since purchased my Michaels of Oregon (Uncle Mikes). I switched to Shooters Choice years ago after being a lifelong Hoppes user.

CLP is good as a lube and protectant but marginal as a cleaner. Sure, it will work, but so will the crappy Hoppes.

I also agree with Tightgroup Tiger. Clean a gun then clean it again a few days later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprise while cleaning my gun ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!