Jim Brady Shoot/"Exploding bullets"

PDA

XLMiguel
February 29, 2004, 11:55 PM
As we get into the whole issue of ammo testing/cop killer bullets, etc, the issue of what was Jim Brady shot with. I can't remember any such thing as 'exploding' .22 bullets. IIRC, it was something called the "Devastator', a pre-fragmented bullet, not an 'exploding' round, can someone fill in the blanks. Need to get my facts straight when dealing with the practicing hysterics around here. TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Jim Brady Shoot/"Exploding bullets"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BluesBear
March 1, 2004, 12:36 AM
Allow me to repeat some of what I said in another thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67394).

Yes yhey were called "Devastators" and they were made by the same company that made the center-fire ammunition called "Exploders".

In the late 1970s, early 1980s I was a distributor of them.

They in fact did explode. If you fired them at a steel silhouette you could hear them go Bang-twang! and see the "stain" from the impact. It contained a charge that was barely enough to fragment the bullet.

They looked like a standard hollow point except they had been drilled deeper and there was something silver implanted down in the cavity.

I did quite a bit of testing on the .22 rounds. In some mediums they were awsome and on others they were not. They were spectacular when fired through empty soda cans. Which, I believe, were mild steel at the time.

XLMiguel
March 1, 2004, 10:52 AM
I stand corrected, thanks.

Jim K
March 1, 2004, 07:46 PM
There was a lot of press space at the time devoted to the "terrible" exploding bullet. One point usually overlooked is that had the gun been loaded with standard .22LR, Mr. Brady would be dead. His life was actually saved by that exploding bullet.

Jim

Hkmp5sd
March 1, 2004, 08:19 PM
Of course, in the movie The Day Reagan was Shot, the bullet that hit Reagan was portrayed as the equivalent of an unexploded mortar round.

SDC
March 1, 2004, 11:53 PM
The filler in these "Devastators" was lead azide, a fairly sensitive priming compound, but ignition is spotty on all but the hardest surfaces.

Grump
March 2, 2004, 08:03 PM
Yes, the surgical reports (informal quotes from the MDs, not the clinical patient notes) indicated that penetration into skulls was seriously compromised with .22 LR Devastators.
I did quite a bit of testing on the .22 rounds. In some mediums they were awsome and on others they were not. They were spectacular when fired through empty soda cans. Which, I believe, were mild steel at the time.
No, they were just thicker aluminum then. Steel beverage cans were rare, and the pop-off poptops were already gone.

I know because I liked to put firecrackers under cans then. Still do. Big firecrackers require steel soup cans for maximum altitude.;)

E=MC^2
March 3, 2004, 02:55 AM
The gun used by Hinckley was a Rohm RG-14 revolver in .22LR caliber, with a 1 7/8 inch barrel. The serial number was L731332.
Not the actual gun used, but same.
http://www.laguns.com/images/rev006.jpg

Supposedly Brady was hit by a Devastator bullet which exploded.
From the casing, a Devastator cannot be distinguished from any CCI
.22 bullet. The only difference is in the slug. The Devastator,
manufactured by Bingham Ltd., is merely a regular .22 long with an
aluminum canister filled with lead azide inserted in the bored-out
tip. The explosive is in the canister, and the canister is in the
copper slug.

Hinckley called the bullets he purchased "Stingers" . It took the FBI some time to conclude that the bullets were .22 caliber Devastators. In fact, even though they supposedly had both Hinckley and his weapon, it took them some time to deduce that a .22 weapon was used in the shootings. They first claimed it was a .38. There is little believable evidence that Hinckley fired Devastator bullets from his weapon.

BluesBear
March 3, 2004, 02:57 AM
Grump i was wondering after I posted that. The cans I used back then had no seam like the old steel cans but still hade the crimped on tops and bottoms.

I'd stand two cans together 3 fingers apart and shoot them from 20-25 feet with a 6½" Super Single Six. I'd then hot glue them to 2 parallel rulers and carry them to gun shows for a demo.

If I was ever attacked by a twelve-pack of mutant-zombie-ninja-sodacans they'd be my first choice. :evil:

Hot Kentucky summer day + Big K grape soda + Devistator = PURPLE EVERYWHERE !

Joe Demko
March 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
manufactured by Bingham Ltd.,

Would that be any corporate relative of "Squires Bingham?" I remember a whole line of inexpensive Filipino .22s imported by that company.

BluesBear
March 3, 2004, 12:45 PM
Bingham Ltd was a different company.

Trebor
March 3, 2004, 11:39 PM
E=MC62,

How about a link to that website with the info on the Reagan shooting?

Thanks

Rob

Covey Rise
March 5, 2004, 12:44 AM
The short barrel on the revolver did not allow the bullet to attain the fps it needed to blow up, it was basically just a HP.

Suomipoika
March 5, 2004, 10:57 AM
www.hi-vel.com There was some devastors.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jim Brady Shoot/"Exploding bullets"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!