CZ Gunsmithing

PDA

Scipio Africanus
October 22, 2012, 02:42 AM
I have a CZ 550 that I would like to have some work done to, can anyone recommend a good rifle smith or smiths?
I intend to take this gun on dangerous game hunts and would like someone familiar with the requirements of a DG rifle.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ Gunsmithing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gazpacho
October 22, 2012, 02:49 AM
Wild West Guns

jim in Anchorage
October 22, 2012, 03:09 AM
What kind of "work?"

panhead58ak
October 22, 2012, 03:22 AM
If I was going to ship a gun to Alaska for smithing I would talk to Gary Junk in Fairbanks at Artic Gunworks .He has a website with pics of his work.He is a very pleasant person to deal with and does magic on old winchester model 70s he does barrel work action work beutiful wood and checkering hes not cheap but good work isnt .Wild west guns does good work if you can stand the prima dona attitude of the place and sometimes it seems like they are resting on there rep a little to much. Artic gun works is very much more about you and your needs

Halal Pork
October 22, 2012, 04:27 AM
I have looked over the American Hunting Rifles website (http://www.hunting-rifles.com/) over and over. They seem to specialize in the CZ 550 and any number of times I've been tempted to send off a rifle to them.

Scipio Africanus
October 23, 2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks Guys.

Regarding work to be done:

1. I would like the action smoothed up a bit. It could feed better. If one works the action vigorously there are no feeding issues, but if you are less than forceful it will not feed perfectly. I want that fixed.
2. The trigger, while it is crisp in the extreme, seems flimsy and I have no use for the single set feature on a .458 Lott. Also, I have heard about various CZ trigger problems from folks who use their rifles harder than I will. None the less I would like a sturdier and simpler trigger.

Otherwise, I like the gun and won't change much else, at least for now.

Halal Pork
October 23, 2012, 02:31 AM
What about the "CZ Upgrade #1" package? Work includes replacement of trigger, installation of 3-position safety, straightening of bolt handle, and "tuning and smoothing of the action."

Link (http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm)

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ Gunsmithing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!