Why political ads on THR?

PDA

Vonderek
October 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
Considering that political discussion is taboo on this website I was a little stunned to see a Debbie Wasserman Schultz ad insert running while reading a thread. And it was spouting some nonsense about how she is "fighting for your rights" or somesuch. What the heck gives with that???

If you enjoyed reading about "Why political ads on THR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
October 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
Someone didn't do their research before buying that ad... :)

Derek Zeanah
October 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Considering that political discussion is taboo on this website I was a little stunned to see a Debbie Wasserman Schultz ad insert running while reading a thread. And it was spouting some nonsense about how she is "fighting for your rights" or somesuch. What the heck gives with that???
If it came through "officially" on THR, then it came through Tactical Republic's Ad server. I haven't seen any of those.

However, there are a number of products that install software on individuals' computers that replace ads that support sites (like THR, or the NY Times (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/10/meet-company-hijacking-new-york-times-ad-revenue/58147/), and other sites.) There's apparently a lot of money to be made replacing ads on pages and inserting your own ads. Hell, some ISPs do it automatically to increase revenue.

Without seeing the ad (or the link it offered) it's hard for me to say that it's coming through our pipeline.

Did you grab a link for it?

Derek Zeanah
October 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
I should probably be more clear here. Our ad policy is to disallow ads that aren't in conformance with our normal policies. If someone wants to offer a "women in bikinis selling gun related stuff" ad on THR, we decline it. Politics? We try and stay out of it. People from over 200 countries visit THR regularly, and they come from all political (and cultural) persuasions, and we try to offer a family-friendly environment to all.

Nobody who's logged in should be seeing anything like that. If you're just browsing and are not logged in then there's a greater likelihood of seeing something like that (the ads all over the web that show Hillary Clinton's face and hint at a global gun ban come to mind). Even if not logged in though, the odds of seeing something like that are slight.

Adware on your computer, or an ISP that hijacks a percentage of ads and displays their own instead? All bets are off.

Vonderek
October 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
Did you grab a link for it?
Hey Derek, no I didn't think to...she represents my district and I kinda reflexively recoiled away from the computer :) I have tried to find it again without success. I don't know if it is anything installed on my computer. I update definitions regularly and just scanned my entire computer last night although there is always the possibility it was missed. Oh well.

Vonderek
October 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
Derek, I re-read your second post and realized that I was trying to recreate what happened while logged in. As soon as I logged off I opened the "General Gun" section and there was Debbie again smiling back at me. I clicked on it and here is the link:
http://meet.debbiewassermanschultz.com/

Here's a screen grab:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/dreamcatchermedia/Picture8.png

Derek Zeanah
October 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Makes sense. Stay logged in and that shouldn't happen.

:)

orionengnr
October 22, 2012, 10:12 PM
I'd rather get to know pancreatic cancer.

How come there is no emoticon for projectile vomitting?

bamajoey
October 23, 2012, 07:23 AM
Heavens, I saw that ad and immediately gagged.:mad:

Derek Zeanah
October 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
OK, this one's been answered, and now it's veering political.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why political ads on THR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!